PDA

View Full Version : counters?

pbg
03-19-2008, 08:12 PM
does bv do a counter to insert on my site or can someone sugest a good place to find one that dosn't carry a link to something dubious?

Vasili
03-19-2008, 09:25 PM
It has been a long-standing "Best Practice" to avoid using any such crude and unprofessional device to a webpage/website, as they have been discarded as completely unnecessary for more than 7 years now.

Not only do they instantly telegraph to visitors that the site is not "professional" in appearance, but most likely overall, insofar as any statistical information that they might produce is already available in your cPanel (actually, much more detailed and valueable data is available, so counting mere "page hits" is archaic if not erroneous).

Tom vR
03-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Vasili has given you good reason for not using a counter on the web.

A far better option to see all statistics about your site, is in your VH control pannel. Click the Web/FTP Stats icon and explore everything you want to know.

pbg
03-20-2008, 04:59 AM
i feel like i've been told off! lol
no counter it is then.

RichardK
03-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the advice Tom. I have just viewed that page and that is more than i need - i have also just removed my web counter.

Mooibly en dankie.

Marincky
03-23-2008, 04:19 PM
i feel like i've been told off! lol
no counter it is then.

No not told off... we just hear this question every day.. several times..

In the end the decision is always yours, but I hope you take the advice of the people on here seriously as a page hit counter (and that's all it is) DOES look unprofessional and do not give an accurate view of the traffic to your site anyway.

Tom vR
03-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the advice Tom. I have just viewed that page and that is more than i need - i have also just removed my web counter.

Mooibly en dankie.

Plesier Richard,

Afrikaans in Tennessee, lol? Good to see that. Enjoy.

thx1012
03-23-2008, 10:44 PM
If you want to keep track of visitors just use an invisible counter. I use it. goto histats.com it's free... but please do not use one that people can see.

Vasili
03-24-2008, 12:15 AM
If you want to keep track of visitors just use an invisible counter. I use it. goto histats.com it's free... but please do not use one that people can see.Maybe the thread was not read carefully?
There are distinct reasons why "counters" are not recommended, and why the redundancy is completely ineffectual (some of which are listed above).

The point of this Support Forum is to offer peer-to-peer help to build better websites, so I encourage you continue to interact while suggesting also to make your posts demonstrably contributory.

Opinions vary, but proven techniques and Best Practices do not.

adele1972
03-24-2008, 09:25 PM
pdg
Google Analytics is a really good website tool to have, but you have to code your web pages to it....this is easy...if i can do it anyone can :) helps you learn even more about where your visitors come from and how they interact with your site.
hope this help

adele1972
03-24-2008, 09:27 PM
pdg
Google Analytics is a really good website tool to have, but you have to code your web pages to it....this is easy...if i can do it anyone can :) helps you learn even more about where your visitors come from and how they interact with your site.
hope this help
and dont forget to have a look at the google webmaster tools!!!

Marincky
03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
pdg
if i can do it anyone can :)

Don't put yourself down Adele... The fact that you are using Google Analytics and the Google webmaster tools puts you more than one step above all those who dont http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon12.gif

adele1972
03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Don't put yourself down Adele... The fact that you are using Google Analytics and the Google webmaster tools puts you more than one step above all those who dont http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon12.gif

(((....Ramsey....)))
Thank you :P

i can with a little help from people like you!!!
i got my sitemap to work..thanks

how did you get the little face next to your text? LOL

Marincky
03-24-2008, 09:38 PM
i got my sitemap to work..thanks

I noticed.. nice one http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon7.gif.