Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Windows Media Player function on visitors' screens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Windows Media Player function on visitors' screens?

Hi Everybody,

I'm three weeks into building my site and it's coming along as they always do: by trial and error. And with the most valuable help of BV society, for which I thank you all.

Mine is a musician's site. Music rules in there.
    Presently (along with the excruciating and ongoing attempts with flash/Iframe methods) I installed Windows Media Player all over the place: the music never stops. (Or shouldn't...)
    I'm using the version you can get via ActiveX - the one that has visual images playing along with the music.
    After realising (some) of my errors, now the players play from my root directory.
    Having checked feedbacks from friends I realised that some viewers just don't get the player kick in.

What does the Windows Media PLayer's functioning depend on?
    Upon the visitors' set-up - like having his/her ActiveX controls kicking, or other factors?
    And is there a way to make it function for ALL visitors (with big enough computers)? (Like a download-prompt?)

If you visit my site, please don't forget that I'm still experimenting; the solution to this topic will get me wrap it up quickly. (Or not; it's monsterizing itself...)

Thank you,
    Gabor

www.gabor-music.com
    www.gabor-music.com

Re: How does Windows Media Player function on visitors' screens?

Hopefully, you are intimately familiar with the tutorials ... how to use them to truly discover how to do everything, how to pause them and do steps "live" to test yourself, and to avoid all the assumptive efforts and "cutting of corners" which invariably end up with disasterous results! Thus, no need to learn by "trial and error," is there?

You should always build your website according to given standards, for you can never be 100% universally "viewable" for every visitor: too many systems out there in too many versions to guaratnee anything!

Windows video and sound are by far the most widely used and defaulted mediums out there, and, as with any system, will depend if vistors are properly updating their OS and utilities when prompted.
    Java has also begun to automatically update, now that Vista has turned out to be a flop, and people are reverting to XP Pro (and are unwilling to give up great picture, viedo -- and the explosive use of video -- and sound along with graphical definition).
    Flash is pretty much the same, although savvy web designers and businesses are catching on how to "optimize" their video by converting it to Flash for better overall viewability (also prevents unauthorized copying).

Do what you have been and leave such concerns about settings on everyone's computer where it belongs: in their lap!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

This is just what I’ve been waiting for, Vasili… I really appreciate a little exchange of views – in a philosophical sense, too; so thank you, and welcome, my friend!
      “Trial and error”?.. Absolutely.
      Yes, I am intimately familiar with the tutorials, I’ve used them extensively along with some invaluable advice from ranking officers, like you. However, the most thorough knowledge you gain if you, bulldog-like, solve some seemingly incomprehensible tasks yourself, and yes it is by trial and error, and if you succeed (bleeding…) in the end, you will know that particular topic to heart.
      The tutorials are clear and concise. But you have to learn how to follow them. (Just look at the “help!” postings). Looking back it’s almost laughable how easy everything is (and well explained), but when I started out, boy, did I suffer…

Now, would you please enter my site and try telling me if I did something wrong – or, hopefully, it’s just something I shouldn’t worry about – as you, so eloquently expressed it above.

And thanks again for making me think… Wisdom speaks from you – but the point I brought up is important to me – and perhaps for others, too.

Best regards,
      Gabor
      www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Well.....you asked, so.....

OK, enough of my typical "blah-blah-blah" and time to be blunt: if I were to even consider a site such as yours, I would feel it imperative to offer visitors choices and options to expereince the best I had to offer, as I would be aware that for the most part their experience would be totally influenced (or limited) by the connection they had to the internet itself (knowing my formatted material is specifically suited for optimal speeds).

In as few words as possible? You need a portal, Paul, and by doing so you would eliminate your unjustfiable fears about viewability, speeds, "ActiveX" and all the other nonsense!

At least if you had a Portal, you could have your intro Content and provide the option for visitors to elect to enter the side of your site without music (which would be the preference of anyone on dialup or anywhere in public -- like Starbucks or the office), or to enter the side that has the music (which has since been reduced in file size - compressed - and meant for broadband and hi-speed connections especially).

Big deal!
        Simply "split the site" and publish one side with music embedded and one side without: easy to do, simply add an extension to the pages WITHOUT sound as an afterthought, >> www gabor-music.com/ns_firstpage.html (ns_ = "no sound").
        A simple thing, but very much an elevated perspective, both in web design and visitor experience, don't you think? What would it take? Stripping the music off a page and renaming it and then pubslihing it? A few clicks to advance to the next level? Remember: having your original page open, stripping the music off, and then re-naming it does not harm the original page - BV simply closes the old page automatically "as was" and leaves the new page open, ready to publish!

The last thing you would do is to design the portal page....something without sound itself, and maybe slicker with more rich images....clever Content....and a worthy invitation. Back it up with an enhanced navigational array -- give the visitor more choices, and they will find more reasons to drill in and hang out! Then rename it/Save it as index and publish (be sure to first rename current index as something else --indexRetired, to archive it!)

As for the technical issues of the video/audio? Once you "fix" the real issue, then simply shorten them up (turn them into "Samples" and not "sessions") and then compress them for greater universal playing.

Done! Issue settled!

PS: try to remember to provide your URL when posting, so others have some idea of how to address your issues??? Not everyone is as resourceful as I.....

Comment

Thank you Vasili,

The issue is NOT settled - although nearly so. Thank you for your time and effort, it's greatly appreciated - and the personal touch, too. (The purple head indicates that you've had enough of this and it's OK.)

From a Generalissimo, all your points are well made and welcome - but I'm only two weeks old...
          Your suggestions will improve my site greatly and I will employ...most... The portal idea is grand.

Since the site is still experimental there's lotsa garbage that will go and in their place content - as you suggested - will appear. Also, almost everything on the site is still a sketch, nothing yet is permanent. Especially the file sizes and such...well...trial and...

The most important thing to me is the behavior of the Media Player - to me it does exactly what I wanted - but there must be aspects which pros understand far more than I. Aside from having an intro portal sans muzik, when things get serious musically/visually, the Media Player can not fail.

So, "if there's anybody out there", please pick up the thread?...

Best regards,

Gabor
          www.gabor-music.com
          www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Originally posted by gabor View Post
            The issue is NOT settled - although nearly so. It's always a matter of perspective: no need to "strain on a gnat"!
            Thank you for your time and effort, it's greatly appreciated - and the personal touch, too. As always, it comes for that which I am , freely and without posturing.
            (The purple head indicates that you've had enough of this and it's OK.) No, to me it is used interchangably as "hesitant", "supplicative", "shy" and even "embarrassed". trust me - I'll let you know when I tire of something or reach my limits!
            From a Generalissimo, all your points are well made and welcome - but I'm only two weeks old... Sometimes that is the best place to be, as you are most likely not "conditioned" by trying to piece together half-truths or have proceeded headlong by building on misunderstandings...
            Your suggestions will improve my site greatly and I will employ...most... The portal idea is grand. GOOD. I am glad you can see it as an opportunity to refine your website, and to better present your personalizations. Besides, it is an effective way to not only project navigation and definition of interior Content, it is actually a very subtle but solid "interaction" with visitors, and thus becomes something much more predictable to enhance as opposed to a nudge forward when some resent being "forced"...
            Since the site is still experimental there's lotsa garbage that will go and in their place content - as you suggested - will appear. Very important to maintain the critical SEO metric value, and having a portal to serve as an "intro" to the site actually adds to the Content value, being able to remain distinct from interior, sectionalized Content.
            Also, almost everything on the site is still a sketch, nothing yet is permanent. Especially the file sizes and such...well...trial and...
            The most important thing to me is the behavior of the Media Player - to me it does exactly what I wanted - but there must be aspects which pros understand far more than I. No need to look for needles in a haystack. The bubble will pop on it's own.
            Aside from having an intro portal sans muzik, when things get serious musically/visually, the Media Player can not fail. CORRECT! Also, consider substituting another stimulation for the music on the portal (cement the visitor interaction with a Class act that will produce the results desired): consider using a slow-moving slideshow which can be easily configured with the BV ad banner rotator -- this is one means to have a classy presentation which will allow yu to have stationery text over it, if you want. Others will not permit it, but it is simple to use nonetheless, and pre-included in BV. You can have stills of concerts, backstage, romantic sheet music, Masters Classes, etc. etc. This will set the elevated tone and create interest to discover how these inviting images relate .... and having enhanced navigation on the portal will also elevate spurrious visits to your interior as well as add metric optimization value as well.
            So, "if there's anybody out there", please pick up the thread?... May be a good idea after all....."fresh eyes and ideas" may contribute to your progress as well ... (but I am not one that takes to being dismissed well whatsoever)
            Best regards,
            Gabor
            www.gabor-music.com

Comment

A Salutation, Generalissimo.

I can not dismiss You; I'm just a humble foot soldier; only expressed my high esteem.
              I will consider an honor to have you with me - as long as you're comfortable.
              But it's turning to tomorrow, time for the bugle to sound the retreat.

Thank you, friend,

more to follow

Paul
              www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Originally posted by gabor View Post
                A Salutation, Generalissimo.
                I can not dismiss You; I'm just a humble foot soldier; only expressed my high esteem.
                I will consider an honor to have you with me - as long as you're comfortable.
                But it's turning to tomorrow, time for the bugle to sound the retreat.
                Thank you, friend,
                more to follow Paul
                In VodaLand, there is no retreat! We take no prisoners, either!

I think you meant "Taps" ??

Comment

Yes, Taps.
                  www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Working...
                  X