pop up statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pop up statement

How do I add a window that will pop up with a disclaimer on my website for all new visitors to see. I have the index page as a disclaimer but when people google content on my site they skip the disclaimer. My church requires this disclaimer if I am to continue publishing anything on the internet.

Re: pop up statement

Hi, this might do the trick.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

This is a good little pop up program, however it doesn't quite fit for my purposes. I need the pop up to only show up once, I think I need it to remember IP addresses and not continue to pop up once it has been closed. I also put the html code in a php so it would be on all my pages at once. this resulted in the pop up always in the background, also not good.

Comment

An IP is not the best way to go about it. A cookie is the best method (or cookie and ip), but IP's can change, the cookie will remain until it expires (which you can set to not expire for 5 years if you wanted), or until the user deletes it.

You also have a choice to make with just using javascript, or using php. If you use php it will require the pages to be reloaded but guarantees the users will have to agree to the disclaimer. If you use javascript, the pages won't have to reload, but won't work at all if the users have javascript disabled, meaning they won't even see the disclaimer.

Basically you could do something as simple as using a javascript confirm command, if will create a dialogue box with an OK and Cancel button with text above (text you define). This will display if the cookie isn't found. If they click ok save a cookie, if they click cancel, redirect them to google.

If you use php, you can go about it two ways.

1) A box will be created that covers all the content will appear with the disclaimer if the cookie (or ip isn't found), they hit ok, its submits, creates the cookie (or adds the ip to a database or file to save it).

2) If the user hasn't agreed yet, it will redirect them to the disclaimer page. On the disclaimer page they hit ok and it submits a form that creates the cookie or saves the ip. If they don't agree, or they try to access any page it will just redirect them back to the disclaimer page.

Either way you need a script to do it. I don't know of one that exists that you can just download and use, perhaps check hotscripts.com. Otherwise one has to be written from scratch

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Hi, try this one i have been messing around with.

It has been set to pop up every time just for testing. We can change the duration in days to how many times it pops up. IE: only popup once a day for each visitor.
          The only thing i am not sure on is how pop up blocker friendly it is.
          Pop a post back for more info on this script LINK
          If you are not sure on the install.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
          X