upgrading soho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading soho

I upgraded my Soho to the latest version last week. I needed to do this as my Shipping page wouldn't work with the older version I had, plus I want to use some plugins that also require the latest version. Everything seemed fine at first; & I LOVE the new text editor, so much clearer to use. But now for the downside:-
    If I edit any text element on a page, all the text on the page (even if on several different elements) would disappear on the live site until I opened every text element on that page & saved it. After the upgrade I did a whole new page, no problems. Next page I added a text element & nine new products to. None of the additions are showing up on the live site - I have a support ticket in about that problem. I then did another page - all the products have shown up ok - the text element is on the page on the live site but I had a H1 tag in a text box & on the live site there was a gap of at least 4 inches between the end of the H1 tag & the start of the products. I've deleted it for the time being - but obviously I want it back on the page. Now I can't even log into the admin.area. Short of sending in more support tickets is there anything else I can try? Would the upgrade have caused the problem or could it be coincedental?
    www.dinkdy.info
    www.aboriginalarttreasures.com
    www.thegemlovers.com
    www.bigticketmoney.com

Re: Problems after upgrading

Vicki...

Geeze.. I cant decipher this before coffee...well actually for this i might need a second pot. Is this all on one page? Yes you have to SAVE UPDATE each element?

How about a link to the site? If you email me the logins i might be able to tell you more.. but honestly woman.. while all this makes sense to you, the only reason i can get around most of this is knowing you .. and the builder..LOL

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Karen, as you usually complain about my longwindedness, I thought I would leave out as much detail as possible incase it was a not unexpected occurance to have major problems after an upgrade & there was a standard answer that usually worked like repeat the process; backup the store & then use the backup or something similar. Also I seem to remember reading weeks ago something on the forum about problems after upgrading; but I couldn't find anything doing a search.
      I have received a private email suggesting that the problem is caused by me not having a phpsvexe file (whatever that is!) before I did the upgrade. Could that be the answer?

I forgot I don't have the site in my signature. http://www.thegemlovers.com The emerald page is the one where the added information is not showing. It should look like the ruby page which I did after the upgrade & is ok. The sapphire page is the one that I had the problem with the H1 tag. You will find links to all pages from my home page - also all 3 pages are linked to the Gemstone page which is in my main menu.
      www.dinkdy.info
      www.thegemlovers.com
      www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Vicki,

Im not sure, about the file you were emailed about, but, if you got it from one of the soho boys.. thats probably correct.

I do see an h1 on the ruby page.. but your other text is squished off to the side.. might drag that UNDER the h1 box or add it to the same box. If you want me to sign in and poke around you know how to find me.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Re: upgrading soho

Just a note.. did you happen to view this info? I think that this is what you are looking for.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Someone looked at the phpsvexe & apparently it's ok now - I'm not sure if they did anything. Everything is working at present except for the Emerald page which is still now showing the correct information on the live site; I changed & saved after the other problem was fixed, still no good. I have a support ticket in about that, so I'll see what they have to say before I trouble you (at least what is showing live looks reasonable). The spacing of elements between the two versions of Soho is different - I've ended up putting the extra text underneath the H1 tag. That brings me to the next query I have......is it possible to change the spacing in the text editor? It looks shocking how it is on most of my pages. Please have a look & see what you think. http://www.thegemlovers.com I did Peridot today with the newer version, it doesn't look too bad, now look at Iolite, Tanzanite both done with the old version. They need a <br> between the end of the text & the products starting. (I did try putting one in, but couldn't do any good) Finally check Aquamarine which was done with the old version, but I opened the text element today & saved to see if it improved the spacing. The spacing (or should we say the lack thereof) between the text & products didn't change, but the spacing under the H1 got even bigger! All pages are linked from Home page. I'm almost tempted to remove the text; but the search engine love it! Other than that I'm happy with the way Soho puts products on a page, I think the jewellery look quite good, & the thumbs are a decent size.
            www.dinkdy.info
            www.thegemlovers.com
            www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Vicki

Dunno if this will work in soho or not, but in the text editor try make a space after your last period or word. Sometimes that does it, or hit return see if it codes it on its own.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Vicki..

I pmd you a possible fix on the other forum. I didnt post it here until we are sure its fix. I dont want everybody out trying it til it is and then screaming it dont work..lol

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Karen,
                  1/ As mentioned before the 'fix' seems to work; but I found I had to hit 'enter' when I had finished the text before saving to have a space there. Infact some people might complain that the spacing is now too large. Thanks for you help.
                  2/ The emerald page is still not right. I found out from an experienced Soho user that the most common cause for new info not showing up on the live site is because of extra html that has been added somehow, usually by pasting from a document other than Notepad. This may have happened so I deleted both text elements & completely re-did them & didn't paste at all. No difference.
                  3/ I have put in a support ticket & emailed again, but haven't received a reply. What should I do now? While it isn't urgent now - the problem has to be fixed sometime - at the time I put the support ticket in I couldn't even log in to the store to do anything - some friendly Soho user fixed that problem for me.
                  www.dinkdy.info
                  www.thegemlovers.com
                  www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Vicki,

Im not sure exactly what the issue is, or why. Well actually.. i think its soho programming, but not sure how to tell them to fix it.. its the requiring files to run at 777 permissions and the work around with the phpsuxec vs cgi suexec issue. Also.. theres lots i dont like about tnymce text editor which.. soho added on, while it works fine with some applications, soho has some conflicts with it and I think therein lies the problem...I havent had the issue, but then i do most of my own coding so i dont copy and paste and pick up hidden formats.. id have to look at your html view and actually be in your store to pick up any errors to see whats where.. im sure you probably have some hidden carriage returns someplace, or if you are using frontpage.. it also gives bad coding sometimes. Also.. if you are using apostrophes and magic quotes is on, it will put extra slashes into the php coding.. so you need to run that php.ini to shut them off.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

The only problem that is concerning me now is the Emerald page not showing live any changes I've made to it. I've managed to get everything else so that I'm at least happy with it, & things are working. If anything it seems to me that the emerald page might be lacking in html compared to the others!
                      Yesterday I fixed up all the pages I had done so far & I slashed lots of html - asmps; & <p></p> everywhere. Sometimes several in a row. Today I noticed I could do exactly the same things on a few pages, sometimes it put 1 lot of html in; other times 2 & even 3 on some pages. I've had problems with both old & new versions of the text editor. On most pages I am putting the H1 tags coloured - did that confuse the old version! Multiple H1 tags or even none at all. Obviously the new version Soho hasn't got sorted out yet. When I first started, boy I wished I was in Blue Voda! People tell me that does some 'strange' html; but I'm blissfully ignorant of it. The page ends up looking like I want.
                      www.dinkdy.info
                      www.thegemlovers.com
                      www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Working...
                      X