Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a Download

Hi,

Havent been on the forums for a long time. But have launched a new website to coincide with my current studying and need a little help.

Amongst other things, i am trying to create a download page.

http://www.e-itstudy.com/UsefulDownloads.html (example - still under construction)

When you click on the download now link, (i will have uploaded the file) i would like the download box to come up, with save, run etc.

is this possible? If so, can you point me to the correct thread or give brief instructions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gaz.

Re: Creating a Download

when you want a file to be "downloadable" is that a word??? anyways...just target the object like a link except instead of an .html extension it will be the file name and extension like so...

http://www.yourdomain.com/download1.zip

note that the file can be .txt .pdf .mp3 etc. i prefer a zip, i just seems safer to visitors and that way it also won't open up in your browser unlike the .pdf or .jpg extensions if it's browser enabled.

hope this helps.

-cheers

Comment

Cheers mate, will give it a go.

Comment

i uploaded a file via ftp to a folder called downloads, to keep track, then clicked properties, then copied the link to the Download Now on the web page. However, i get internet page not found when you click the link.

i put the link in as ftp://myaddress/public_html/Downloads/avg75free_516a1225.zip

But nothing.

Edit - Read your post properly and used the correct address, and it worked a treat. Thanks a million.

The download speed was AWESOME, almost 1Mb per second. Can i cap this? Do i need to cap this?

Comment

Is the folder downloads or Downloads? Prolly an upper/lower case issue.
          CarbonTerry
          Semper Fi
          Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
          Zone 5 Photo
          My USMC

Comment

the issue was that i used the ftp address complete, rather than www.

once i changed that, no problems at all. works a treat.

Comment

Working...
            X