Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site on Google: "index". Why?

Help, please.

My in-the-works, unsubmitted, site is on Google, but under the headline "index".

My index page has my name (Joe Doe) as headline and it's the same all over the site.
    The Meta has my name as first line in both sections.
    (So far I haven't "meta"d any other page.)

Also:

I just came across two concepts in the Forum, re. Meta.

- the <h> tag
    - and the <1> tag (or something like these).

Can you explain, please?

Thanks.
    www.gabor-music.com

Re: Site on Google: &quot;index&quot;. Why?

I just figured it out, myself.
    How to have your page appear AS YOU WANT IT - and not as "index" as it happened with me.

It all has to do with going back to the tutorials and concentrate on the nuances. It's there, though often somewhat hidden.

So, to be brief.
    Giving your page a TITLE and NAMING your page are two different things.
    In this case:
    In the page properties pop-up window write: ...title... Joe Doe - Guitar God
    This will appear in Google, as that.
    As NAMING it, under "File ... Save page as..." I put: index
    Publish.
    Done.

I still await an answer about those tags, though...
    www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Hi!

The question about <H1> tags: these are pre-existing HTML codes that return a specific sized header text when used. The <H> tags are picked up by search engines particularly well so it's important, should you use them, to make sure that they are as relevant as can be for your particular web page. That's each page - not your site as a whole. You can learn more from w3schools by clicking here.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Many thanks, Amanda - that's 2 for a day...

Gabor

Case settled...
        www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Dear General Girlonthehill,

Can I insert the <h..> headings in the TITLE block of my page?

So far Google - and probably more - SEs have posted my sites (it's bilingual, so they appear in both languages) as yet without formal submission, and they are fairly well placed, and read. But for the official submission I want everything to be right.

Whatever, the SEs so far simply copied over the key phrases from my index page, disregarding any Meta info. (I think I'll have to improve on that). This makes one think: if I want my site appear the way I'd like it, I'd better design it with that in mind...

Thanks

(Another "musing" sort of post...)
          www.gabor-music.com

Comment

LOL :)

quote...SEs so far simply copied over the key phrases...end quote
            That's been my point to others; if you use keywords and phrases in meta that are not in your page content, it will hurt your listings in the SEs. Content-rich sites really do not need metatags, except for maybe locational tags, showing from where the site is based.

If you view source on your pages from a browser, you will find that you may already have an h1 tag (best to use only one h1 tag per page) and other tags such as h2, h3, etc. Look at the text listed beside these tags in the view source to see what your choice of font has made these tags, and then adjust them to your satisfaction when you edit the pages in the builder that you use. :)
            Karen Williams
            Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

lol

Thanks, Karen,

I'm slowly parting the jungle, but I'm parting it - with the help of yours and others (even Vasili...)

Indeed, to prevent SE to publish hogwash (random phrases and totally irrelevant phrases like "scroll down for content") I rebuilt my index page to be as simple as can be - and still be happy with it. With that I fell into the other side of the trap: the page now doesn't have enough "content".
              So, what do I do if I dont want to display my whole site's content on my index page, still maintining content value? I do want to keep my index page simple, almost "minimalistic" - that's my natural style.

So, what had happened is that I simply wrote the key phrases from my index page into the "page description". At least now it appears the way I wanted it - but at the cost of content value. (That comes on the following pages. Hey, that's half the fun - you wouldn't want to compress your the whole book that you wrote into 1 page? And kill the climax? But it would be so much easier to read! Not to mention how many trees we'd save on a one-page book...)

Anyway, the jungle IS parting. But it took a forced "attack" on you, High Brass - and I know, the subject is frustratingly ambiguous and you're doing the best you can. After all is said and done this subject appears supreme at some point. (Wish I had understood any of it when I started out as a total greenie - but I didn't. It was like Chines then - it's beginning to make sense - (if this is sense that I'm writing).

And, to contradict good advice a little, yes, after having failed to get decent publishing on SEs, you start re-designing your pages with that in mind. I don't mean to design it FOR the SEs, but keep in mind how they treat your submission.

Solution? Make it simple but heavy... Yes. Easy.
              Why is gold so valuable?
              www.gabor-music.com

Comment

You are correct about not wanting your whole site on your index page. I imagine that on your site, it will be your inner pages that are the most important. I can't see how being minimalistic on index page is a trap. The index page is suppose to represent a doorway or a table of contents, depending on the site design. Once your site has aged, your SE listings will start to be more to your liking.

As far as SE listings go, it's the listings that are generating the sales that are important. Most of the time, the pages that generate the most sales are NOT the index page, meaning your internal pages are very important. If most of your visitors do not come from SE listings, then you would be less concerned with those listings. Marketing is the key to traffic. In my pursuit of marketing knowledge, I have learned that SE listings are just a part of the grand scheme. As a wise forum contributor once advised: Build and write for your customers. Just take care to use SEO properly. Don't build for the SEs. :)
                Karen Williams

Comment

Dear Karen,

Thank you very much for soothing the raging beast in me...
                  Your words are kind and your style is like a kitten I'd want to pet.

I'm in the clear now.

I'll let you know if your words prove to be gold.
                  I bet they will. I have a good feeling now.

LOL

Gabor
                  www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Your very welcome. :)
                    Karen Williams

Comment

P.S. As far as an "official submission" to the search engines, don't bother. If you are already listed, then it's "official". :)
                      Karen Williams

Comment

Working...
                      X