No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone.

I am new to this web page business. I don't know what a domain name is or if I have an account ID.

I am 77 years of age, live in Lancashire England, and befuddled by the terminology used in creating web pages. Although I have been using computers for over 20 years, they have been used mainly for collecting and storing information on local history, and more recently (5 years) all the information on the men who took the Kings Shilling 1914-1918, in my patch of Lancashire, some 14216 men, plus all the information on the ""Accrington Pals".

I have seen a web site that is ideal for what I want to do, burnleyinthegreatwar.

How was it made, I once emailed the owner, but never received a reply.

All the information I have on these World War One soldiers, is on my oldest computer, the OS is Dos 6.2, and the files are in WordStar 6, and Dbase4.

Many thanks.
    Walter Holmes.

Re: New Member

Hi Walter! & welcome,
    If you mean this site http://burnleyinthegreatwar.info , then this can be done with Bluevoda, which will be quite easy but quite a bit of impute time. Personally! For the amount of info you have to put into the site, & as an alternative. I would look at some sort of database. This will make things a lot easier for looking up info when finished & will also be able to look up info in different ways. IE: By rank/age/name/dates & so on. (This is assuming its set up this way to begin with)
    Not to sure on compatibilities, but if you have a database? it maybe also be possible to transfer the info in a mater of a few hours once a program has been made.
    Another alternative is something like the free jalbum (Photo album) & using the profiler. Try this link & click on an images for an idea on how it works. There are many ways to set this up in the looks department, so don’t be put off with the black look.
    There are quite a few members with sites on different wars & military info on this forum.

Good luck with the venture.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris
      Many thanks for your insight into my problem.
      Yes it is the site I meant, //burnleyinthegreatwar.info
      One of the best sites I have ever seen regarding men of WWI

Trouble is all my files run under DOS 6 and I have some files in database 4
      I know neither WordStar 6 or Dbase 4 will run under winxp.

I might be able to copy some of my databases into an xp program, but which program thats the problem?.

Regards Walter.

Comment

Hi, not in all cases, but if you can get the data into MS Excel i would imagine it wont be a problem to get it into most forms of database. navaldesign & Watdaflip are 2 of the database guys & members of the forum that maybe able to help. Might be worth putting a post up with there names in the post description to see if they can help.
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris.
          Those two sites you suggested don't work.
          Found some old manuals belonging to my daughter on Excel and Access.
          The more I read the other members questions and probems, the more daunting this project becomes, I have a problem with short term memory, so I have to write notes to myself on what I'm doing or what to do next.

I had a nasty thought whilst reading one question about copyright and stuff being ripped off.
          Put a notice on your web page indicating that several of these pictures have a virus embeded in them, try to print them, and your hard drive will be formatted, YOU get to choose the pictures.

Wouldn't that be good if it were possible.

Regards Walter.

Comment

Ah! Strange on the links. But you can always pop in a forum search for these 2 guys.
            On the copyright part, unfortunately its the web & was designed with the idea of free information.
            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi
              I have had two emails from a person called Brad, asking how I am getting on with my web page.

I am going to ask the General for a discharge under K.R. 392 (xxvii)
              No longer fit for front line duties.

I have watched the video 4 times, trouble is when I get to the start page, I can't remember what I'm supposed to do.

Will probably have to go to the local college of knowledge, see if they run any web courses. I need to see it done, then it will probably stick in my head

Walter.

Comment

Hi I Am Mike Of Ghana. I Am Now Anow Member.pls Can U Help Me To Advance My Website

Comment

Hello Walter, good luck with yor site...sounds very ambitious.

Hello Mike, Nice to have you with us. But in the future you should always start your own threads. Good luck.
                  Reguards
                  Ed
                  www.dsondesigns.com
                  www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                  www.300hitter.com
                  www.bigjk.net
                  How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Working...
                  X