Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I out of my league?

Hi there,
    Just putting the finishing touches to my prep and research for my new nsite.

Now i need your help....can i, a mere novice - create the site i want?

Basically - it's a cross between Vogue and a web directory/affiliate site.

There will be article pages and such, but also a directory with not just affiliate links but actual product recommendations that when a potential customer clicks on then picture - it will take them direct to that page in the affiliates own site.

the two websites that are closest in terms of what i am trying to achieve are www.zoom.co.uk and www.pressies4princesses.co.uk.

Zoom has the magazine style format that shows a product that links directly to the retailers website and pressies4princesses has the layout of the directory that i want.

can anyone who knows anything about web development or even about voda's website builder tell me if this is possible and how hard/easy it would be for me to do?

cheers!
    sarah

Re: Am I out of my league?

Both these site have CMS (Content Management Systems) and shopping carts.
    Luckily...Both of these come standard on your VodaHost account...What you need
    to take in to account is that both these sites took weeks if not months to build.

In A NutShell

VodaHost has evrything you need to achieve your goal as stated above.
    What is required on your part is dedication and hard work to make your
    goals a reality.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

okay cool - but bear in mind i won't actually be selling anything!

just linking to the pages on their website with the sale.

what concerned me was on the pressies site the detailed description of the coding they used;

All pages are hard-coded in SHTML with separate cascading style sheets
      Gift pages are created using an MSSQL server database converting data into hardcoded, preindexed pages through XML and XSLT processing
      Wish List functionality is enabled through PERL

i mean i barely even know html never mind this lot!

the market i am aiming towards is young professionals and "fashionistas" and the site needs to look ultra professional...if it takes time then fine - but i'm sure i will need lots of help too!

regards

Comment

Hiya - is it possible to get a website of this standard from the website builder?

what tools do I need?

how will i get started? (aside from buying domain name and hosting of course!)

regards

Comment

Yes it is...

Learning Adobe Photo Shop would benefit the cause.

Click on the below to learn how to get started.

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/pre...r-website.html

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

okay great - I will get reading this and am planning on setting up the webhosting and domain name next week so I should be ready to rock and roll!

regards

Comment

Vodahost Templates - Compatible with BlueVoda?

Okay so slightly changed my mind and the kind of slick professional site i am looking for might be simpler to come by, by buying a professionally made template.

are your very nice templates only suitable for front-page/dreamweaver or can be used via bluevoda?

Ive been playing about with the bluevoda and although it's very nice and extremely simple to use - it's not really giving me the commercial look i'm after.

i just prefer the layouts/colourings of the templates as my site needs to attract extremely fashionable people who shop on places like net-a-porter etc.
              the tones, layout and colouring are very impportant and i want to get it right first time (only have one chance to make a first impression)

any thoughts/ideas?

sarah

Comment

Re: Vodahost Templates - Compatible with BlueVoda?

Can't answer the q. about VodaHost premium templates but were you aware that there is a BlueVoda image library with loads of free backgrounds and stuff? Some really, really nice ones too. Open BlueVoda >help>templates and have a look at some. You maight find some inspiration. You can make your pages as professional and eye-catching as you require - you should have a look at some of the websites promoted in the other forum there are some ultra professional ones created by members using just BV, their imagination and creativity. Good luck.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

thanks girl.

I will be having a look at your website too - it might be the sort of thing i'm looking for in my shopping directory!

regards

Comment

Working...
                  X