Publishing & Viewing Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing & Viewing Assistance

Hi........I have just published my site, its very basic - index, photos (lightbox), contact and thankyou ......but I'm very excited....!!

Can you help me though please with the following;

All the pages look fine when in preview but when I check them online -
    The index page comes up fine but the bottom centimetre is the background colour instead of the picture, I've tried a couple of things to lengthen it without success.

My menu buttons don't take me to the photos or contact pages, one gives me error 404 and the other just says the page doesn't exist.

I've been doing the tutorials and reading the forum, I thought I had done everything I needed to but I'm not very techy...so obviously not!

Any help would be great.....Thanks.

Its morairabandb.co.uk
    sigpicmorairabandb.co.uk

Re: Publishing / viewing problems

Hi, you have 1 to many http's in the link, but even after removing this, the page is still not showing. Would be worth d/checking the pages name.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Re: Publishing / viewing problems

Both 'Contact' and 'More Photos' are linked to "button.html".
      Should show the page name exactly.
      Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
      Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
      Milam County Historical Commission

Comment

Re: Publishing & Viewing Assistance

Best bet would be to go into your cpanel & find the published pages & click on the file & then the url link to see if the page opens.
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi....thanks for the replies, I'll take another look at the page names - thought I had that bit right but I'll check.

jcaywood when you say the 'contact' and 'more photos' are linked to 'button.html' .....sorry to be stupid but what do you eman exactly - linked via the hyperlink icon to each button that way or the pages are linked to 'button.html' - its just that whenever I am in those two pages I can't get the hyperlink icon in order to link the pages however I try.

Thanks again...:)
          sigpicmorairabandb.co.uk

Comment

Go to your site and scroll over the buttons and you'll see the link at the bottom of your browser window. The link goes from your button to the page you want to open. So basically you have told both 'More Photos' and 'Contact' buttons to open, when clicked, your page named "button" with the URL of http:/www.morairabandb.co.uk/button.html
            I left a '/' out on purpose.
            You do not have a page named 'button'.
            Open your page which contains your photos in BV, what is the page named? Should be named something like 'photos'. Use all lowercase letters with no spaces. If you must have spaces separate the words with "_".
            Make sure you have published the page.
            Let's say you have named this page 'photos'. You would need to edit the link URL of the button to read:
            http:/www.morairabandb.co.uk/photos.html
            Then publish your index page again.
            Each button must show the EXACT location of the page you want to open.
            Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

Thats great -Thanks for your advice, I've renamed all the buttons, resaved all the pages and republished them all.

I'm still being taken to 'error 404' and 'cannot display webpage', for those two pages.

Maybe I'm being stupid but - should I be able to hyperlink those 2 pages by going in to properties or page properties, its just that the hyperlink icon doesn't work when I'm in those pages on BV.

I'm obvioulsy still doing something wrong............very frustrating :(
              sigpicmorairabandb.co.uk

Comment

This one has started to show. http://www.morairabandb.co.uk/morephotos.html
                But not the contacts & no images.
                Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

On your Home page (index) you have the page or the background hyperlinked. You don't really need this. To add a link, double click on your navigation bar and Navigation Bar Properties will open. Click on the Name - 'Contact' and then click Edit. Where it reads 'URL: type in the proper URL for the page you want to open when that button is clicked.
                  For example: h t t p://www.morairabandb.co.uk/contact.html
                  Be sure to use the exact name you have named the page.
                  Then do the same for the next button.
                  Then Save and Publish.
                  Did you move the photos on your computer. Open 'morephotos; in BV. Do the pictures show on that page? If not, browse to find them and then save and republish again.
                  Also, remember to name your photos using no spaces. Your Bedroom 1 photo appears as being named "Bedroom%201.jpg" which means you have named it "Bedroom 1" (the %20 represents a space in the name.)
                  Just remember lower case letters and no spaces.
                  Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

May I make a suggestion? You haven't corrected that double 'http' on Contact button yet. Go ahead and make corrections as you go and Save and Publish the page. That way when people look at your site they can see what still needs to be done.

You need to work on your page Titles - but let's get the linking problems fixed first.
                    Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

Hi........thanks for your patience.

I've corrected the double 'http', I've checked all the buttons via the nav bar as you suggested and they all have the right names, I could see the photos in BV, but I replaced some and I took out the spaces in the names, I've saved all the pages and republished - so i think I've done everything you suggested so far but they still don't link to my pages......can I scream now or should I wait a while longer? lol :)
                      sigpicmorairabandb.co.uk

Comment

Okay. Let's review.
                        From your Home page (index) you show two links:
                        More Photos: http://www.morairabandb.co.uk/morephotos.html
                        this takes you to your page of photos (We'll move the lizards to the front later).
                        This should work IF you have saved your page as 'contact' and have published it.
                        Open your contact page, click on FIle in the upper left corner - Click on Save page as...make sure the file name reads only contact and Save as type reads 'blue voda files (*.bvp)
                        Then publish the page and let us know when you have done so.
                        Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

How many websites do you have?
                          If you have an addon domain (second website) you may be publishing to the wrong directory.
                          Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

Hi...........OK, I have only built this one website, I have another domain name morairabandb.com for which I have used Cpanel domain pointer, when I enter this domain name I am directed to my current index page without any probelms.

My contact page has been saved exactly as you suggest from the start and is in blue voda files (*.bvp). However I have just renamed it, saved it and republished it.

The lizards being behind the photos is intentional so that's OK!

Thanks again for all your help:).....and I hoped this was going tobe easy!!
                            sigpicmorairabandb.co.uk

Comment

Everything is going to click into place in a while.

I found your contact page:

It should be published as ...html
                              This is a form which doesn't work. Is this the page you are saving and republishing? If so, open a New Page - insert text saying 'Under Construction", save it as contact and publish it. Let's see if this shows.
                              Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

Working...
                              X