• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joomla

dave marshall
    www.conscioucreation.co.uk

Hi,

have downloaded joomla, very exciting to look around there, but having installed it by fantastico and have a web site here www.laws.consciouscreation.co.uk/joomla

I am not sure having looked a the joomla resources provided by vasili, at what point in the instalation am I. Can I now go and play or is there something else that I need to do to configure joomla?

hope that makes sense as a lot of the information starts at intalling joomla which I presumed has been taken care of by fantastico?

thanks

Dave
    Dave

Law of Attraction Books
    Hypnotherapy Hertfordshire
    Reiki Books

Re: joomla

Originally posted by David Marshall View Post
    dave marshall
    www.conscioucreation.co.uk

Hi,

have downloaded joomla, very exciting to look around there, but having installed it by fantastico and have a web site here www.laws.consciouscreation.co.uk/joomla

I am not sure having looked a the joomla resources provided by vasili, at what point in the instalation am I. Can I now go and play or is there something else that I need to do to configure joomla?

hope that makes sense as a lot of the information starts at intalling joomla which I presumed has been taken care of by fantastico?

thanks

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    Your installation stage is completed, now the fun starts with layout and look and all the great joomla mods available. Login into your joomla 'back of office' to start.

Cheers,
    Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
    Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
    Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
    BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

thanks for that andrew, just working my way though it, there is alot to look at.

there is alot of start up guides available on the sites/forums etc, is there one that you may recomend to a newby?

dave
      Dave

Law of Attraction Books
      Reiki Books

Comment

Hi Dave,
        I used the official Joomla User Manual (check if it's the latest)
        Cheers,
        Andrew

sigpic

Comment

Sorry I don't know what happened with the last post. Have a look at Joomla Help for their documentation.

Cheers,
          Andrew

sigpic

Comment

thanks,

i noticed that you use droopal? is it easier to use?

dave
            Dave

Law of Attraction Books
            Reiki Books

Comment

thanks,

i noticed that you use droopal? is it easier to use?

dave
              Dave,
              I've had a look at them all, but Joomla is my 1st choice. I've installed droopal to play but not publish. Where did you see that I've used droopal?

Cheers,
              Andrew

sigpic

Comment

i just had another look through your links but cannot find it, it was at the bottom of one of your pages. will look again later

dave
                Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                Reiki Books

Comment

thanks, i noticed that you use droopal? is it easier to use? dave
                  As I have repeated many times with many examples, Drupal is slightly easier to wrap your head around, but is not as capable as Joomla when it comes to features, functions, or the sheer "promise" of becoming the solution you are looking for (via the sheer number of stable add-ons and developer/community contributions).

Drupal is older, and is still the "favorite" for those wishing to find an alternative to immersement in Dreamweaver (especially for Users in Europe and Asia, and I personally believe it was because of the lack of "available" official Support for Dream and the lack of 'educational'/commercial universiality that would have been the motivation -- way back like 5-10 years ago) when building a site from scratch, but if you take a real close look at it, you will see the obvious limitations.

Mambo has been taken private by the original developer, so what was the commoner's favorite based on the learning curve (and acceptable results) is now a 'for-pay' proposition.

You really need to hook in with the Joomla Community, David, for it is there you will find the Support, the resources, and the inspiration to make resonable progress.

* Use the Manual (downladed or online) to see the step-by-step things you need to do.
                  * Read up in the Forums to glean the solutions others have faced when installing/configuring to avoid the pratfalls before you rush ahead.
                  - And, if stuck, post your requests there, as the help you will get here in VodaTalk will be limited and mostly guesswork as there are not too many Users here, and those Users that do have questions use the their forums and resources --- and you should see what we have done with it (we're a pretty quiet bunch)! You can see mine here on the "Overview" page, and you should be able to tell the CMS/Joomla sites from the Flash and BV. You can see the variety of my builds, most of which are now easily "managed" by others.

This is nothing but constant repetition of my earlier "Joomla Resources" thread.
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

got it,

heading over there to jump in,

cheers

Dave
                    Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                    Reiki Books