PDA

View Full Version : Starting my own Forum

Rob (SA)
05-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Folks,

I am trying to find out how I can create a forum on my website.

In reading through the various threads - Fantastico seems to be the route to follow however when trying to set it up it says that there is already a forum setup using my email.

how do I veiw that forum?

How do I create a forum that look similar to this one?

I look forward to your replies.

PlayItByBeer
05-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi Rob,
In Fantastico have a look at phpBB 2 or a bug free 3 might be available now. This is free and very similar to VH's forum which is vBulletin. I'm not sure why they questioned your email address on install, as I have 4 running and i've never been asked. Their support forum has some great mods and additions, so first up have a look at the additional security mods as forums are wonderful but they can be painfull if the spammers get hold of them. I made use of a very easy mod which made the size of the capcha random and it's running at 100% free from undesireables. (it's the best one so far) I'll try and track it down and send it along.

Cheers,

Rob (SA)
05-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi Andrew,

Thats valuable information - Thanks.

I look forward to your reply and possible assistance in getting it all started.

The spamming is a maojor concern to me - and your take heen - is noted

tnasoft
05-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Rob,
In Fantastico have a look at phpBB 2 or a bug free 3 might be available now. This is free and very similar to VH's forum which is vBulletin. I'm not sure why they questioned your email address on install, as I have 4 running and i've never been asked. Their support forum has some great mods and additions, so first up have a look at the additional security mods as forums are wonderful but they can be painfull if the spammers get hold of them. I made use of a very easy mod which made the size of the capcha random and it's running at 100% free from undesireables. (it's the best one so far) I'll try and track it down and send it along.

Cheers,

Anything yet , Im also looking foward to this

regards

Rob (SA)
05-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Hi Andrew,

I hope youre keeping well and that the week-end is a good one.

I havent quite got to setting up the forum yet as I have now got my tournement entry sorted to do it electronically - before we did it by had what a mission.

I will have a look at vBullitin and see what that does

Talk to you later

Rob (SA)
06-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi Andrew,

I am a little closer to getting the forum started.

You mentioned that you had made a "mod" / someting that could help reduce the spam?

Please show me what it is that I may consider using it?

PlayItByBeer
06-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Sorry Rob,

I haven't been able to locate it. I'll keep looking as I need it for the forum on my next website. I found this one which is similar, if not the same. here (http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php?i=misc&mode=display&contrib_id=1625)

Cheers,

Rob (SA)
06-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the link I will give it a try.

Question - how does won go about modifying the sking to show our Daisy instead of phbb in th etop left corner.

These modificatoions that are offered how do I managethem to work?

PlayItByBeer
06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Rob,
After I went mad on my first forum... kind of 'Pimp my Forum' I think this one (http://www.capebackpackers.com/backpackers_forum/index.php)would suite your golfing site best. But I've just realised how rusty I am while playing around for some answers for you. LOL

PlayItByBeer
06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Rob,
Check out your spelling of gauteng in the title of your forum LOLOL

PlayItByBeer
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Right click on forum logo and have a look at properties (file name and size). Now take your weed and save as .gif with same name and dimensions.

Go to file manager>>your forum>>templates>>the template you're using>>images>>upload the .gif file ('overwrite existing files' if available) to replace existing file.

Cheers,

PlayItByBeer
06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Something like this...http://www.ambleinantiques.com/site_logo.gif

Cheers,

PlayItByBeer
06-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Right click on forum logo and have a look at properties (file name and size). Now take your weed and save as .gif with same name and dimensions. THIS NEEDS TO HAVE A TRANSPARENT BACKGROUND

Go to file manager>>your forum>>templates>>the template you're using>>images>>upload the .gif file ('overwrite existing files' if available) to replace existing file.

Cheers,

Please see additions in red

Rob (SA)
06-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Andrew,

Welcome at being my first member to this forum.
I thank you for checking my spelling mistake. Is there a way to edit that easily. I changed the last one but deleted the whole forum - there must be an easier method.

I have also tried my luck at the logo thing but battling a bit.
Thanks again for the help