Page Narrowed Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Narrowed Question

I was working on my pages when I saved one and it came up wierd. After I saved the page, the edit page screen only showed 2 columns where there are usually 3. I previewed the page and it is narrowed instead of full screen. Any idea what happened and how to fix this?

See: http://www.jeannenoorman.com/index.p...osessionkill=1

Also, can someone tell me how to include margins in my text boxes? Currently the text goes right to the very edge of the page unless I put it into a table.

Thanks,
    Jeanne

Re: Page Narrowed Question

Im not sure what you mean by narrowed.. other than you linked us to your preview instead of the actual page..

In your text boxes up on the tool bar you see the standart align left.. center justify and right.. alternately you can HILIGHT the text right click etc.. and choose from there.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

ok.. i looked at your source code and you copied that page out of ms word obviously... All those extra <P> and tables is what has screwed your page and all those inappropriate formatting of margins etc.. that have caused the problem and most likely all your problems...

first.. copy all that to notepad to remove the unneccessary coding and then copy to soho text in the html view. Alternately save your word documents as .html or as a web page.. then instead of text.. choose custom incl and upload your word file and then preview your page.

You might have to delete that page to remove the confilict and then re add it..

WORD IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING YOU CAN DO TO A WEBPAGE.. ITS A WORD PROCESSOR

<P align=center><FONT face=Arial size=2><STRONG>
      <TABLE style="WIDTH: 95%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0>
      <TBODY>
      <TR>
      <TD>
      <P align=center> <STRONG><FONT size=2> L</FONT></STRONG><FONT face=Arial size=2><STRONG>iving the Homeschool Lifestyle <BR>HSB Connections - November 2007 </STRONG></FONT><FONT face=Arial></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><STRONG>Do the “Write” Thing </STRONG></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><STRONG>Part One: Attitude & Motivation </STRONG></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><FONT size=2>by Jeanne Noorman </FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><FONT size=2>
      <P></P></FONT>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=2>Elephant jokes were all the rage when I was growing up. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"></FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in"><FONT size=2>Q - How do you know if you have an elephant under your bed? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN></FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in"><FONT size=2>A – You wake up and your nose is squashed to the ceiling! <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN></FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in"><FONT size=2>Q – What’s the difference between eating peanut butter and eating an elephant? </FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in"><FONT size=2>A – The elephant doesn’t stick to the roof of your mouth! <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN></FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in"><FONT size=2>Q – How do you eat an elephant? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN></FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in"><FONT size=2>A – One bite at a time! <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"></FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=2><SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>That last one isn’t really an elephant joke but fun words of wisdom that I learned as a young home-school mom and often still think back to when I find myself overwhelmed with a project whether it’s house cleaning, homeschooling or writing an article. </FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=2>
      <P></P></FONT>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=2>When our oldest daughter had finished her freshman year in college, we asked her, “What do we need to do better with your sister’s high-school education?” <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>Her answer surprised me. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>“Mom, they need to write more. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>They need to write every day and in every subject.” <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>For several years, I had been the INCH convention workshop leader on teaching writing; I had always included writing in my curriculum, and my girls were good writers. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>Now, in honestly answering our question, Macia was telling me that where I had felt we were strong, we needed to be stronger. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>As we discussed it more, my daughter said that while she was strong in her writing skills that she hadn’t been prepared for the amount or the scope and variety of writing that would be required in college. </FONT></P>
      <P></P></FONT>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=2>Teaching writing is one of those columns that really has to be a series of articles. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>There are so many questions to answer! <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>How do you motivate your student? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>What kinds of writing should you teach? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>And how do you teach it? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>How do you evaluate and grade your student’s writing? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>And what do you do with a student who hates to write? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>As homeschooling parents, if we look at these questions and begin to get overwhelmed, then we ought to be able to relate with our student’s feelings when they receive a writing assignment especially when it is a big one! </FONT></P>
      <P></P></FONT>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=2>As our student receives a writing assignment and starts to think about what he/she knows (or doesn’t know) about the subject, along with all the aspects and requirements of the assignment, it can become overwhelming. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>It’s important as parents to recognize this and teach our children that the things we allow to overwhelm us will often seem like bigger problems than they really are. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>The easiest practical way I know of completing a huge project (and specifically a writing project) is the same way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time! <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN></FONT></P>
      <P></P></FONT>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: right 6.0in"><FONT size=2>I don’t think that elephant jokes are very popular anymore, at least I haven’t heard one in a very long time. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>So, if your children are like mine and think that elephant jokes are corny, how do you motivate them? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>What do we do for the student who just feels that he/she is a bad writer? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>And if your students are part of that majority of students with bad attitudes towards writing, how do we change those attitudes? <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>My answer may surprise you; you have to make writing fun and write every day. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN></FONT></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: right 6.0in"><FONT size=2>
      <P></P></FONT>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: right 6.0in"><FONT size=2>Making writing fun is an achievable goal that just takes a bit of creativity on your part and your student’s. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>Instead of assigning a big (student’s perception = boring) research paper, using Scholastic’s <U>Horrible History </U>and <U>Horrible Science </U>series as an example, ask your student to compile a list of the quirkiest and weirdest things that he or she have discovered about what you are studying. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>Remember that writing is one of the arts (art is fun!) and release your students to be creative and have fun with their writing. <SPAN style="mso-sp****un: yes"> </SPAN>More creative and fun writing ideas next month! <U>
      <P></P></U></FONT>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: right 6.0in"><FONT size=2>
      <P></P></FONT>

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you! :) Sorry about doing such a bad thing! I am obviously new at this, and I thought that it was okay to paste out of Word since SOHO has a tool just for thought. Thanks for your help. I will learn and do better! :)

Comment

LOL.. its not a BAD thing just it screws things up with their formatting. And yes they do have that clipboard thing..but as i said.. ms word formatting is horrid.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks again! I did as you suggested and copied the text to Notepad and it was so much easier! No more wierd glitchy stuff! :) I am still trying to figure out the margins though. I have used the indents etc. but the text still goes all the way to the edge of the page on the right. Is there any other way that you know of to set margins?

Comment

Why are you so obsessed with margines? Unless you are using a fixed width template they wont matter? Soho makes use of fluid templates meaning they move to screen size so any margins will be shot to hell anyway.. unless you want someone with it 22 inch monitor only reading the left side of their screen?

Are you an english teacher or something? LOL.. only person i ever saw obsess with margins was 7 th grade when we had to WRITE in long hand on unlined paper our term paper... geesh.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

LOL! How perceptive you are, Karen! I am a writer, and I teach writing! :) I've figured out a way to make the margins work, so it is all good! Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Thanks, Karen...

You just helped me with my page issue. I used the center in browser.

-Rita
                  EcoFriendlyOrganicBabyClothing.com

Comment

Rita

Youre most welcome.

You too MRS...

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                    X