Password web page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password web page?

I hope I'm asking this correctly. What I would like to do is to create a page on my exsiting web site (which is open to anyone) that I can put a login for people to access documents in a separate page that will be put there using FTP. I've only seen where other people are asking about secure pages where credit cards are being used which is not the case here. This is only so I can let certain people get to these documents.
    Is this possible? What would I need?

Thanks!
    Keith

Re: Password web page?

Originally posted by kk5fe
    I hope I'm asking this correctly. What I would like to do is to create a page on my exsiting web site (which is open to anyone) that I can put a login for people to access documents in a separate page that will be put there using FTP. I've only seen where other people are asking about secure pages where credit cards are being used which is not the case here. This is only so I can let certain people get to these documents.
    Is this possible? What would I need?

Thanks!
    Keith
    Create a new directory on your site, call it f.e. passdirectory .Go to control panel, Password Protect Directories, set the created directory as password protected, and also create the users and passwords that will have access to that directory. Upload the protected pages and/or files in that directory. Give the visitors the username and password so they can log in that directory.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

WOW! That was fast and better yet... It worked! I didnt see that on cpanel...

Thanks so much, it was exactly what I wanted.

Keith

Comment

Big help, but rather than open a different folder for individual users with that folder having its own password, is it possible to give different usernames their own personal area? or would it be open to multiple users?
        www.hobta.co.uk

www.floridabungalow.co.uk

www.e-itstudy.com

www.gpcsystems.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose
          Big help, but rather than open a different folder for individual users with that folder having its own password, is it possible to give different usernames their own personal area? or would it be open to multiple users?
          When you password protect a folder you indeed set the folder as protected and establish usernames and passwords for each one of them. If you want to have more than one personal areas, just create a different subfolder for every user, and provide each one of them with a different password and username
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi,

I have created a password protected folder via FTP.Now how do I get the user to the user name/password stage.
            Do I:
            Create a menu button on my index page that points to a user name/password page? If the answer is yes what property do I set in the link type (FTP, HTTP etc). If No how please

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveA
              Hi,

I have created a password protected folder via FTP.Now how do I get the user to the user name/password stage.
              Do I:
              Create a menu button on my index page that points to a user name/password page? If the answer is yes what property do I set in the link type (FTP, HTTP etc). If No how please

Steve
              You don't have to do anything, when a user clicks on a link that gets to a protected area (page or whole directory), a popup automatically opens and he is asked to type in username and password. Just make sure that you have created usernames and passwords in your CP
              Navaldesign

Comment

Naveldesign,

thanks again.
                Just one more question, I have created a menu button on the index page where do I direct that button (ie the folder on the server?, www.mydomain.com/directoryname)

Steve

Comment

Naveldesign,

thanks again.
                  Just one more question, I have created a menu button on the index page where do I direct that button (ie the folder on the server?, www.mydomain.com/directoryname)

Steve
                  No, directly to the protected page that you want your authorised user to look at
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Hi Naveldesign hope you are online.
                    I created the folder and FTP'd, having protected it with user name and password,via cpanel.
                    I then placed pages into folder but of course they are .bvp when created not html.
                    How would I place the html page sinto the folder because via FTP it does not appear that you can move pages into folders on the server?
                    However when I did try putting HTML pages into the folder by publishing FTP back to my comp then back up to the server the folder appeared to become unprotected. (I cleared the cache on my comp just in case but had no effect)

I may be missing something?
                    Thanks
                    Steve

Comment

I created the folder and FTP'd, having protected it with user name and password,via cpanel.
                      I then placed pages into folder but of course they are .bvp when created not html.
                      How would I place the html page sinto the folder because via FTP it does not appear that you can move pages into folders on the server?
                      However when I did try putting HTML pages into the folder by publishing FTP back to my comp then back up to the server the folder appeared to become unprotected. (I cleared the cache on my comp just in case but had no effect)

Thanks
                      Steve
                      Please provide me the URL http://www.yourdomain.com/protectedfoldername so i can have a look. Do you use BlueVoda?
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks
                        Steve
                        to publish a page in protected folder is the same way as you publish the other webs page, the only different is that all the page in protected directory can not be opened in browser without user name and password. i.e if your protected directory you named private, then all the page include index. page for that directory you publish normally to public_html/private
                        Nyoman

Comment

I have deleted the file to start again as it appeared not to be working.
                          Yes I do use BV (great product and service).
                          Can you confirm these steps please.
                          1. Create folder
                          2. FTP to site
                          3. User name and password protect folder via cpanel.
                          4. Tranfer page(s) to be protected into folder.
                          5. Create link on site (index page)to protected folder.

My questions:
                          1. How to FTP pages created in BV as they are .bvp files not HTML files therefore they will not publish unless uploaded using BV (that I believe creates the HTML file?)
                          2. Once the pages are in the protected folder how do you have an index page find them, because they are not in the public area of the server. (Or are they?)

Thanks
                          Steve

Comment

1. maybe you post before read my reply, that was the answer for your first question
                            2. yes they are the same as the other folder, all have to be in public_html and to find them is the same way as the other, put link in your page to www.yourdomain/protectedfolder
                            Nyoman

Comment

Thanks for your help.
                              I have now worked out what to do.
                              However I still have one issue. When I originally viewed the site it asked for user name and password but when I returned to view my site now and click the link it takes me straight into the protected folder without asking for user name and password, have I missed something.
                              Please try http://www.aridroofing.com click on the client button in the left bottom corner.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X