Starter Web-Development Library Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Web-Development Library Suggestions

I apologize if this topic is too general, but I want to draw on the experience of others who have "been there" in helping me move to the next level.

I am very impressed with and like using Blue Voda. However, I want to expand my capabilities, and seek others' thoughts on what software they would recommend for a beginning library. The choices are overwhelming! (FrontPage, Dreamweaver, etc. etc.) I am not a developer (although I have been programming for 20 years), and on a limited budget, so I cannot acquire all just to play and learn.

So, knowing what you know, if you were just starting out what software would you initially acquire?

robert
    www.rmphillips.com

Re: Starter Web-Development Library Suggestions

Hi, what would the library be used for. IE: just text, text & images, like a news paper. Or more like a database with some ability to cross reference articles or objects.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

When I used the phrase software "library" I meant this more in the context of a "collection" of software that I might acquire for the purpose of developing websites. The "collection" would obviously start with one package, and most likely add more over time. So, if you were not using Blue Voda, what would be the initial software that those more experienced in web development might recommend that I acquire in building my initial software "library?"

Comment

I keep more of the programs I regularly use (or ones that come in handy sometimes) on my flash drive. Heres a list of the ones related to web development:

- DreamWeaver (used for just about every website I have created)
        - PHPDesigner2008 (mainly I use for debugging, but still a decent development client)
        - LeapFTP (FTP client)
        - WinSCP (SFTP Client)
        - Photoshop (Image creation/editing)
        - The Gimp (Same type of program as PS, but a couple features that PS doesn't)
        - AAA Logo (I use for to basic logos, usually export to edit with PS)
        - WinRAR (Compress/Decompress files)
        - PrimoPDF (Export file as a PDF)
        - WAMP (Web development when I don't have an internet connection)
        - PHPAdministrator (Accessing database from my computer)

Hope that helps

PS. Frontpage is obsolete, its no longer supported by M$

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Thanks, Watdaflip! Not only a great list, but you included why you have each. You named some products I have not heard of and need to look into. Very much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
          X