Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to add an Excel Worksheet onto a web page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to add an Excel Worksheet onto a web page?

I have created an excel worksheet which includes pictures and links to other websites, and I've been trying to find the best way to get it onto my website. I tried saving it in excel as a web page (HTML), but the pictures disappear. I saved it as an MHTML, but the links didn't work. I saved it as a PDF file, but the links didn't work, unless I first sent it to an ***** computer, saved it as a Numbers project, and saved that as a PDF, but that's kind of a long way around. I experimented with OLE and ActiveX and everything I could think of.

Right now on the website, tapelessvideo.com, the 'tapeless cameras compared' button does open up a 'file download' window which allows one to open or save the file, which is almost 1MB. But I'd rather that it just opened up a web page instead, and that it be a smaller file.

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you very much.
    Gary

Re: What's the best way to add an Excel Worksheet onto a web page?

I'm not sure your usage of this page, but excel wasn't really intended to be a webpage, the same as word is not intended for that purpose. I suggest you rebuild the page using a webbuilder to add all the elements - as they put in the proper coding, etc to read the page on the web.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

You can ftp your Excel to your public_html folder. Insert an IFrame on your page and then call for the Excel file.

The problem with this method is that the viewer has to have Excel on their computer to view the file.
      CarbonTerry
      Semper Fi
      Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
      Zone 5 Photo
      My USMC

Comment

I appreciate your suggestions. I'll try them out and see what I can come up with.
        Bethers, I'm really new at making websites, so when you say to use a webbuilder, I'm not sure exactly what that means. Do I just make a table on a web page and fill in the cells with the info I want?
        Thanks,
        Gary

Comment

Gary,
          One thing you might "play around" with is the Ole object function in Blue Voda. It is usually bottom left tool.
          It can add an Excel table to your site and when viewers see it it is a table of data, but not editable for them. However, when you open that page in BV; double click in the excel area and it becomes an active excel table. You can make changes to it, save the page and republish.

I don't know if it is what you really want, but might be worth trying it!

Forgot to give you a link to one I just published to see if it is what you want!
          Last edited by judavvforum; 06-12-2008, 03:30 AM. Reason: added comment

Comment

If you can use Excel - why don't you play in BV and discover all it can do. Many, many people are lost trying to do Excel LOL - so you shouldn't have any trouble using Blue Voda and building there. Watch the tutorials, play a little, then build.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Dave, I actually tried OLE object and I have to say that the Excel spreadsheet looked grreat. The only problem was that the links didn't work anymore. So I don't know if there is anything that can be done about that.

Comment

Yeah....that linking is a roadblock! There might be a way to overcome that, but it might be considered amaturish! But, if you like the idea of having the ability to operate the Excel sheet right there in BV; you can put a rectangle shape, transparent, over each of the linked cells and link it to the corresponding url. I tried it and it worked, at least in preview mode.

Otherwise, all I can think of is to recreate the entire sheet into a BV table!

Comment

Save the Excel as a web page. FTP the web page to your public_html folder (or wherever you need it).
                  Then use an IFrame on a page and link to the saved Excel web page.
                  I tried that and links are still viable. Photos remain intact.
                  Or you can link directly to the new Excel web page.
                  That will save you a lot of work if you have lots of pages. The main draw back is that SE's do not read IFrames. Make sure that you have a sitemap that includes the Excel web pages.
                  CarbonTerry
                  Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                  Zone 5 Photo
                  My USMC

Comment

I think I'll try the IFrame idea first. That sounds like it should work out. I'll let you know if I have any questions.
                    Dave - I like your idea too.
                    I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonTerry View Post
                      Save the Excel as a web page. FTP the web page to your public_html folder (or wherever you need it).
                      Then use an IFrame on a page and link to the saved Excel web page.
                      I tried that and links are still viable. Photos remain intact.
                      Or you can link directly to the new Excel web page.
                      That will save you a lot of work if you have lots of pages. The main draw back is that SE's do not read IFrames. Make sure that you have a sitemap that includes the Excel web pages.
                      Gary
                      I did the steps from Terry's suggestion that I highlighted in red and it worked great! The links remained active, but I didn't try the images. It was extremely easy to do!

Comment

If you need something a bit more along the lines of that it can be worked on via the web. Google docs has got a lot better these days for spread sheets.
                        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

OK. CarbonTerry, I tried what you suggested, but I guess there's something I'm doing wrong, because when I tried previewing the page, it couldn't find the URL. I know that the IFrame requires a URL, but my file was located at /public_html/tcc7.htm, which isn't a URL, so I assumed the URL must be http://www.tapelessvideo.com/public_html/tcc7.htm. But apparently it's not. What am I doing wrong? What would the URL be?

Comment

http://www.tapelessvideo.com/tcc7.htm should be the URL but does not link to the Excel saved as a web page.
                            Is your Excel document named tcc7.xls ??
                            CarbonTerry
                            Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                            Zone 5 Photo
                            My USMC

Comment

http://tapelessvideo.com/tcc7.html

Don't forget the "L" at the end of html.

You do not need to include "/public_html/" in the URL.
                              Karen Williams
                              Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

Working...
                              X