Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting DVD content

Hi,
    I have looked around the forum, but find no answer, I suppose because it is actually only an indirect BV matter. I am sure that some one out there must be a master at this.
    I have a sophisticated video editing suite. My hobby is video making.
    Sailing, Wild life, Big game Hunting etc. We do these things in South Africa.
    I use Pinnacle Studio editing package.
    I have some sailing DVD material from my sailing trip around the world, which I would like to use as a short on a site to be set up. How do I convert DVD to show on my site. As an absolute ignoramus at this, I would please like a step by step if you have or can direct me.
    Thank you

Re: Converting DVD content

if Pinnacle Studio gives you the option to save in different formats your best bet is flv then getting yourself a player to it on your site. or save to swf if it comes with player controls, you can then use the flash tool in blue voda.
    or save into one of the formats used by one of the over players in the bv tool bar.
    i personaly would go down the flash road the players are alot better. like this example.
    Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

pinnacle does not give you that option, but it does give you the WMV option which is probably the best solution to start. You will have a good looking video using that format. Now you can import the video using the Windows Media tool on the left. what is good about this is you can make the video any size without losing pixalization. if you want the video to start quickly you can convert the WMV file to a swf file and then use the flash tool on the left.
      you can go on my site and you will see a ton of videos, some WMV and others swf. if quality is not the main issue then swf if a great solution.
      hope this helps,
      mrmagoo144
      mrmagoo144
      www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Hello Mr. Magoo,
        First things first. I visited your site...Wow! where is the day that I can do all this? Awesome. Here is me problem in detail. I sailed around the world in my own sloop. Was on the waves for some 4 years. this was way back circa 1983 84 85 etc. The video material was "hyjacked" by a Dutch TV guy who used parts of it in a actuality program on a Dutch TV channel. I received the material back from them in bits and pieces on old tapes.
        I was despondent and left the tapes to rot in a box in the attic. Now that I am older I resurrected it to boast to my grand children. The tapes themselves were to discoloured and too old to show. I retained what I could via pinnacle and made a DVD. That is all I now have. Pinnacle does not convert back to Video film. How do I save this material to my hard disk to enable me to take bits from it for a flash or any other movie for my blog I intend to build.
        Long storie, sorry, but now you know the whole truth and the final question. How to convert DVD movie to show on my site?
        Thank you.
        Hans

Comment

Hi MrMagoo,
          Ihave spent about an hour trying to find how to save the DVD for use with blue voda The DVD was made using pinnacle. Pinnacle does not play back the DVD. I can not find how to get it off the DVD to anywhere so that I can work with it in BV. If I put the DVD into the DVD player on my computer, all it does is play in windows media. No option to move or save it to any where. The BV media icon wants me to browse and tell where it can be found... windows media where the disk is playing does not give me any indication of its file ext. How do I save it as a .wmv and than convert it to swf?
          I'm stymied.
          Help would be much appreciated
          thank you
          Hans

Comment

Try using a program called "DVD Shrink". I am fairly positive you can select portions of a video and export it. (I can't remember if it was that or just select certain chapters of a DVD). Its worth a shot though

Register/Login Script
            Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Find a selection of FREE Video-To-Flash converters HERE

(Also my recommended practice: not only crisper display and faster/less cumbersome loads on visitors systems, but more secure overall)
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

pinancle does convert dvd to movies. it is like a capture procedure.
                1. put the dvd in the computor.
                mrmagoo144
                www.videopostcards.info

Comment

You mean SAVE to his computer (HD), right?
                  Then he can download one of the converters mentioned above Free (even though they show a Shareware price, that is discretionary) and capably convert the AVI/WMV file to Flash for optimal multi-formatted use.

Comment

sorry guys - hit the wrong key and lost my spot for awhile.
                    1. put the dvd in the computor as if you were playing it.
                    2. open the software program of pinancle
                    3. open file and half way down it has the option to import dvd
                    4. you must put this in my videos - create a folder so you know where the video is
                    5. name the video
                    6. then click the box next to the name
                    the video will be captured and then you can move it to the timeline.
                    hope this helps,
                    mrmagoo144
                    mrmagoo144
                    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Hi,

This is how I resolved the issue,
                      Go to http://forums.afterdawn.com/
                      The info was precise and worked like a dream used the F icon provided in the web design page of our own site builder.

Will be publishing a few cuts from my sailing round the world trip one of these days. By the way, it has a few nude swimming scenes, is this allowed? Unfortunately these are men!

OK here goes...
                      Since the DVD is unencrypted, you can use DVD Shrink to select the clips.
                      Run DVD Shrink and 'Open Disc'.
                      Click 'Reauthor' and drag 'Title 1' from right to left.
                      Right click on Title 1 and choose 'Set start/ end frames'.
                      Select your clip and 'ok'
                      If at this point you want more clips to be joined to the first, drag Title 1 again and repeat.
                      If you prefer to have the clip stand alone, click ''Backup'.
                      Choose the hard drive as the backup target.
                      Give the folder a name and save it.
                      Exit DVD Shrink.

Browse to the folder, open it and then open 'VIDEO_TS'
                      Inside this folder, find 'VTS_01_1.VOB'
                      Rename this file as 'clip1.mpg'

Run 'Free Video to Flash Converter', browse to clip1.mpg and convert the file to .swf format.

Note that if the clips are large, you might find it faster to rip the complete DVD to the hard drive and use that folder instead of the DVD.
                      In this case you would Open the disk, and click 'Backup', then exit and restart DVD shrink and 'Open Files'.

Free Software: download free video conveters, ipod converter, iphone converters

Comment

Hi Mr. Magoo,
                        I resolved my issue as analysed here above.
                        However, I would be interested to know why my pinnacle V9.3.3 does not import via the route you have provided.
                        I get as far as enumerating the Video file to where it must be imported, but I hit import and it seems to works for a few secs, but no results. For some reason it will not import.
                        Thanx for all the help
                        I'm listening fo more!

Comment

sorry i took a little time to answer. Tiger took all my time on Sunday and Monday. How about that Tiger? Anyway, I'm not sure why it would not work for you. perhaps it is the oldness of your software. I have 10.7 and just upgraded to 12. it sounds like you have resolved the problem, but it did sound complicated. oh well, technology with us old guys confuses us. I would like to see your videos so post a link.
                          mrmagoo144
                          mrmagoo144
                          www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Hi Mr. Magoo,
                            I have a little news for you, you say "us old Guys", I am sure we must be in the same boat. I am of the 1937 vintage.
                            The video was made in 1984 and when editing by this time had badly discoloured. It is not of good quality and I am not sure if I want to upload it. It was made at the request of the daughter of one of my ex crew members who sailed around the world with me. He passed on and his daughter wanted the memories.
                            I do not understand why the DVD will not import into pinnacle, the command is there which tells me that this must be a function of the program.
                            Do you know if there is a pinnacle forum or some other place which will provide some insight?
                            Rgds

Comment

Seek And Ye Shall Find !!!

Pinnacle Studio Support Forums HERE
                              Pinnacle Support Resources Main Page HERE (Knowledgebase, Downloads, Updates, etc.)

You may be interested in reading some of the more colorful Blogroll posts about the deficiencies of Pinnacle Studio and Pinnacle 12 here:
                              First
                              Second
                              Third

So ... why is this title preferred when you could simply use the link I provided above for the "Conversions" software to search for a more reliable and robust Free Video Editor title as well???

Comment

Working...
                              X