X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soho Database Tables and User Registrations

Hello,

Two problems I've encountered recently while creating my site:

1. My website is going to be sport-statistic heavy.....My goal is to have a database that allows users to see alot of statistics and be able to view them in a variety of ways.....ie, by name, by position, by team, etc. I like the data table on the edit page of the data table manager page....and this, coincidently, would seem to be the ideal format to put on the website itself......but unfortunately, all I can do is create a search from the data table. Am I missing something? Why can't I actually put the data table on the website so it's accessible to anyone using my website??

2. With regards to users......my site will eventually have alot of users who will need to register with their own unique username and password. How can I set this up? Each person, then, would ideally be able to make certain changes and create certain things unique to his/her login. Is this possible? I've messed around with the user login format, but it seems to only work for a group of users that I've pre-determined. My site will be geared to alot of users who I cannot pre-determine. Again, am I missing something here?

Thanks ahead for any help anyone can provide.

And please feel free to visit my site, it's a work in progress: fantasyfootballlegends.com

-Sam

Re: Soho Database Tables and User Registrations

You cant make the system data base accessible to users without giving them access to your admin and site backend area. You would have to make a custom database and display it as it a custom include.

Check the soholaunch addons site for auto registration. Again.. giving them permission will require customization unless you intend to allow them admin access which.. you could limit to certain things, but i dont think you want just anyone that kind of access.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Karen,

Sorry for being a complete website building novice here, but how would I go about creating a custom database to display? Would this be something I could do on Microsoft Excel and then put on a page via the text editor?

And with regards to the users....I don't want to give them site administration.....I would want to give them only certain permissions to update/make changes to their own page/data tables on the website....this would require them to have their own unique username/password so that they could do this. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Sam

Comment

Sam..

Well.. You can give them pages to access.. but because soho is an ONLINE builder in and of itself you cant give them access without giving them access to the builder itself. You could make FOLDERS to which they could publish a page of their OWN, but you need to be careful with that as that could be seen as.. reselling even tho you arent taking money for it, or making SUB accounts.

What you are talking about is like a user switchboard.. and you might look for a script that does that to install in a subdomain of soho, but you wont be able to do it in and of itself with SOHO. I dont know if JOOMLA or the other CMS systems allow for this as I dont have time to play with them currently..lol.. too many other things to do. But.. Ive seen Joomla sites do some pretty amazing things.. so you might want to look at putting your talents to one of those..rather than an ecommerce builder like soho.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

You should try an on-demand software solution for your database, like: www.HostedDatabase.com

Comment

Working...
          X