Procedure for renaming pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procedure for renaming pages

I think I "hijacked" a posting...sorry about that if so--still learning how the forum works.

OK--from what I can piece together from reading numerous posts about SEOs/renaming pages ("retrofitting" in my case, since I've already published), this is the procedure:

1. Open web page(s) in BV,
    2. "Save page as...",
    3. (This step is the one I need some very specific guidance on.) Add the keyword(s) to the name, e.g., index.professional-organizer/household-spaces_paper-control_home-offices.bvp (not html), with appropriate keywords for each page vs. simply repeating the same set for every page name. (Here's where confusion reigns for me... is this the place to add keywords, or in the "title" box of page properties, or BOTH?)
    4. (Save page and) publish
    5. Delete old page(s) from cPanel
    6. IMPORTANT!! Must one also add these same (page-appropriate) keywords to each of the navigation button properties, i.e., make the navigation button links identical to the page names?
    7. Is there any reason to add keywords to contact/ success pages if they contain no real "content" aside from the form and a "thank you" remark?

Everything is working quite well on my website at the moment, and I'm very concerned about fouling it up somehow with this keyword addition business... This seems a rather complex topic, but I perceive its major importance for getting a site on the road to recognition. Many thanks to all who have contributed their tidbits of experience and understanding--it's of huge significance to those of us who are not "tech savvy."

Steph (or "IR" if you want to shorten the itzelratoncita...) ;)
    Authority Resources Organizing--helping you straighten up...and fly LIGHT!
    Visit
    authorityresources.com

Re: Procedure for renaming pages

Youre confused about more than one thing.

Each page should have its OWN Meta information including keywords. You should not use the same ones page to page, just as each page needs its own NAME. There is room in page properties for Keywords and description and page name and title.

Once you have MADE the changes.. then you save as..

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi, Karen -

Thank you for your response. I'll try to rephrase/clarify this, though, since the answer didn't seem to address the points I outlined.

According to my understanding, the specific need is renaming pages, so that the URL for any given page when someone calls up a website includes keywords, not just mycompanyname.com/contact, about, etc. Does having meta tags in page properties (already done) affect the URL for a given page? If not (I have not seen that it does), renaming the page to include keywords is the point. As someone pointed out in another posting, "naming" pages and giving them a "title" are 2 different things.

Your message states that page properties include keywords, description, page name, and title. I don't find page name anywhere on page properties (if I'm missing something, please clue me in); however, page name is what comes up with "save page as...", and item #3 of my question asks about proper formatting precisely there, after opening "save page as...". The example given was (e.g., for my home page):
      index.professional-organizer/household-spaces_paper-control_home-offices.bvp

The additional points on my question were about whether the same wording, in the same format, must be applied to
      • "page name" (when "save page as" is opened),
      • "title" (on page properties), and
      • navigation button links
      (It's understood that my "about", "rates", "FAQs" page [etc.] would have a different series of words.) Again, I'm trying to establish what the specific procedure is to make it all come together, as in the following outline:
      1. Open web page(s) in BV
      2. Make additions to Meta Tags if not already done,
      3. "Save page as...",
      4. Add the keyword(s) to "name," e.g., index.professional-organizer/household-spaces_paper-control_home-offices.bvp (not html), (using SAME formatting/wording on navigation button links and "title" in page properties?)
      5. Publish
      6. Delete old page(s) from cPanel
      7. Is there any reason to add keywords to contact/ success pages if they contain no real "content" aside from the form and a "thank you" remark?
      Authority Resources Organizing--helping you straighten up...and fly LIGHT!
      Visit
      authorityresources.com

Comment

Hi ... Karen has answered your question very simply for you .. but I'll try too ..

Firstly .. if I am creating a contact page for my website I am going to call it contact .. the name of the page is best kept simple .. granted, it should relate to what is on the page .. if you are showing *****s, oranges and bananas, you would name each of these pages according to that .. but again, keep it simple .. all small letters, no spaces between the words unless the words are joined together by the use of the underscore symbol. Naming your pages and saving them and then publishing ..

Now .. on your page properties you will find areas where you can type in a page title - this page title is important - this is the area that you want to use words that are relative to your page - each page should be titled differently - the page title is what you find when you are searching .. you can be more lengthy here - phrases, etc., can be used .. use the words that someone might input into their search to find a site with what you offer.

Again, the title you apply to your navigation buttons should be simple, one word if possible, however not always possible .. again, keep this simple .. and of course the link applied is your url including the name of the page followed by .html .... - in all cases, other than your main page which is called index and you do not use the .html - again .. you would title this index page relevant to what your page contains.

I am not sure what this is:
        index.professional-organizer/household-spaces_paper-control_home-offices.bvp

But it is totally wrong ..

you never use the .bvp ever .. there is never any reason to use the type of file that the blue voda website builder uses in a name or a title or anywhere for that matter.

The blue voda website builder converts these .bvp files into .html files on the way from your computer to your voda host server ... and then you have a webpage live on the internet ..

You can read a few of my tips if you like, they can be found in my signature here ..

Name, save and publish as index - title - Professional Household Organizer | Paper Control for Home Offices | Space Saving for Paper ... or whatever it is that you do and find relevant and how you want people to find your site .. retrieve via your website url .. (url is the address - your domain name)

Remember - naming - no spaces

But adding a title can be as we write our words .. just normal ..

I do not believe it is necessary to rename your pages and republish .. unless you have called something grapes and it is really an ***** ..

Keywords need to be the words on your page .. after all they are KEY right? So use them well on your page, three or more times each, choose 10 - 12 keywords, etc.,

Hope this helps .. Your website is a book .. .. and it's a much longer version of what you might be able to afford for a commercial .. so use it well!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
        X