Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Keywords

Hi there!

I'm trying to redo the keywords on my website (hopefully make them better!) and was wondering what would be the best way to go about it...

The website is all about selling candles, so in the keywords how many times is it safe to have the word "candles" in there, or just have it there once, and leave the rest for better descriptive words?

i.e.
    specialty,candles,unique,candles,highly,scented,ca ndles (etc)

or...

candles,specialty,unique,highly,scented (etc)

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks! :)
    Kellie
    Kellie

Cozy Cabin Candles and Crafts
    http://www.ccabincandles.com

Re: Question about Keywords

I think your second suggestion will serve you best. Check your spellings too as doesn't matter how many you have or how good they are if they're spelt incorrectly they will be useless ;o)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I'll do that... thanks a bunch! :)

Kellie
      Kellie

Comment

Originally posted by KJay_23
        Hi there!

I'm trying to redo the keywords on my website (hopefully make them better!) and was wondering what would be the best way to go about it...

The website is all about selling candles, so in the keywords how many times is it safe to have the word "candles" in there, or just have it there once, and leave the rest for better descriptive words?

i.e.
        specialty,candles,unique,candles,highly,scented,ca ndles (etc)

or...

candles,specialty,unique,highly,scented (etc)

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks! :)
        Kellie

hi go to http://www.thedowser.com/ the program maximises your keyword, you have to download the program but it is free.
        then go to www.widexl.com/remote/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html entra your domain name and it a report on how well your site is rated.

Comment

Thank you for the links and info Aliens Anonymous :)

Kellie
          Kellie

Comment

Do you know about Keyword Digger. click the below...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

The keyword digger is an awesome tool! I've been using it, but was unsure of how to list the keywords in the meta tags... for example

specialty,candles,unique,candles,hurricane,candles

or...

candles,specialty,unique,hurricane

I guess my biggest question is, is it necessary to have the phrase "together" such as specialty,candles to have the search engines pick it up properly?

Kellie
              Kellie

Comment

Wow, the "widexl" program was an eye opener. I went from all "red" descriptions to all "green" in a few minutes.
                CarbonTerry
                Semper Fi
                Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                Zone 5 Photo
                My USMC

Comment

Just for fun, I checked out some fancy (read as..expensive) web designers that I know and crunched their tags, keywords, etc. on sites that they had built. ALL (including one designers site)that I checked had "terrible" as the widexl comments. Makes me kind of wonder where/what all the money goes to.
                  CarbonTerry
                  Semper Fi
                  Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                  Zone 5 Photo
                  My USMC

Comment

A few years ago, we had a promotional site setup for us for signing up with a credit card processing machine. (long story)
                    Anyhoo, somewhere along the line, we ended up paying $100 a month for the stupid thing, and it was terrible. The VodaHost team, and BV, blows the others right out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

(My point is, you're right CarbonTerry... it really does make you wonder)

Kellie
                    Kellie

Comment

Whether this is of any interest or not I don't know, but I find that it is important (with search engines that still place a value on on-page factors and meta-tags), that a small number of keywords is best, and that they MUST be used on page in a natural, flowing way. Target just one or two keyphrases per page. Use H1 and H2 tags. Embolden your keyphrase once, underline it once, and italicise it once. I would begin with something like:

<H1>Speciality Candles</H1><b>Speciality candles</b> - you want them, we've got them! Candles of any shape, size and...etc

If it reads easily and naturally to you, and the page is well ordered using the above formula, you should get a good ranking with some search engines. Not all. To rank well on Google you'll have to get a good backlinks program going. And don't make the mistake that I have made and register your website for 1 year. Google doesn't like this.

But back to the on-page optimisation: if you type the keyphrase 'euro poker bonus' into MSN, you will find my page at number one. Right click on the page and select 'view source.' See how to use the <TITLE> tag with the META tags. I have used this formula with varying degrees of success throughout my pages. I have several number one rankings with MSN, but then that engine is known for its appreciation of the qualities I have described above. It is also important to validate your code with w3 Org.

Hope this is of some use.

Steve (pokerppl.com)

Comment

ps - as regards the suggestion that misspelled words dhould not be included in your tags, some webmasters do in fact target common misspellings and attract niche traffic. There are programs out there which provide the most common misspellings of your chosen keyqords (keywords!)

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for the advice!

I've heard that before about the misspelling, and have actually added one or 2 per page.

As for the rest, I'll have to go back into BV and play with it. I've used the meta tag stuff through page properties, but haven't done anything more than look at the html coding area, since I'm not familiar with coding. (I didn't want to mess up anything! lol) But, I need better rankings if I'm going to be found on the search engines at all, and there's no time like the present.

Thanks again!

Kellie
                          Kellie

Comment

I noticed that a lot of your pages are indexed by MSN. This is a start. If you want me to put some header tags into your html for you to upload, let me know. I could probably help optimise one of your pages for a specific keyphrase and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by steve_w
                              I noticed that a lot of your pages are indexed by MSN. This is a start. If you want me to put some header tags into your html for you to upload, let me know. I could probably help optimise one of your pages for a specific keyphrase and see how it goes.

Any help you're willing to give is very appreciated Steve. I need to learn this stuff (I am still very new to the whole website building/designing/marketing thing) and really want to learn all aspects of it, especially the html codes.

Kellie
                              Kellie

Comment

Working...
                              X