Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating a template that lasts

Hey
    Is there anyway I can create a template that will run through all of my web pages so that if I want to make a change in that template i won't have to go through each page separately and change it ?

I mean a create like 20 web pages and than I decide that I want to change my logo so I have to go to each page and change it one by one - is there anyway quicker than this ?
    thank you.

Re: creating a template that lasts

Hi

Yes you can.

There might be another way of doing this now (I've been away from the forums for a couple of months) - but the way I use is this:

Although this method (by NavalDesign) talks about menus, you can use it for other things, such as your header & logo.

Comment

I use the same template for my website, just have in mind that you still have to change the content and that it may vary in size from page to page.
      Depending on the type of template you have you still may have to go to that page and adjust the size.

If you are using the same header and menu , template... then the link( above) posted by "sunchaser" is the way to go! Naval explains it, but be sure to do it exactly the way it is posted.

Sinisa
      vortexairtools.com

Comment

Hey.
        I used the template and it worked great except for one issue - when I use the template on firefox it cuts down half of my background (which is embedded in the template). Explorer doesn't - so I don't know what it is about the template that does this. this is my site. can anyone help ?

Comment

Hi

Not totally sure what you mean about 'cutting down half your template'?

I couldn't see any difference in the way your site looks between Explorer and Firefox. Looks good in both.

(There's a small typo in your slogan - prefect instead of perfect.)

Comment

You are probably talking about the difference in resolution between the browsers and how it makes the shaded "gutter" look different (the left edge element, where you have your navigation).
            It was originally shaded to blend into a white background, and the different browsers often will present colors and tones slightly different.
            No big, as mentioned above.
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

How to "add to templates" without distortion

Thought about it more, but got timed out before I could add another option for consideration....

If you are talking about having to make your page "longer" to accommodate more text or other elements, it is best not to change the template itself by making it taller, as that distorts the template entirely and makes it impossible to have a clean page-to-page continuity. This may be what you are referring as your page "being cut off half-way".....

This "adding to the length" of your page when using an image-based template can be easily done:
              1. Insert/create a rectangle 'object' and color "fill" it to the exact color as the blank body of the template (since it is an image, use the eyedropper color sampler to get the perfect color match, as it is not exactly white as might seem);
              2. Move the "page filler" object to the bottom of the template, overlapping a slight bit to be safe, and then make it exactly as wide as the template itself (use the arrows, if needed, to position it at the precise alignment of the left edge of the template, and double-check your width once again using the X-Y Axis tool lower left of the BV pane -- it also tell you how wide a highlighted object is, as well as placement on the page);
              3. Now you can simply re-size the height of this "page filler" object to whatever is required to add in your additional text, images, etc., without having to pull the template out of optimal resolution;
              4. Because your page filler is now literally the same color as the bottom of your template body, it will be indistinguishable from the template itself, and will not be seen in any browser as anything but a part of the template;
              5. You can now right-click on an empty place in the BV workpane (not on the template or fill object) and click on Page Properties to select "Center in Browser";
              6. Also in Page Properties, you can add a webpage background color/image/effect, and since your page filler will be under your content elements, will allow a real page to be defined and not appear as if your elements are "floating" off the page....it will all be 'contained' within your enhanced "page body" via the filler object.

The only time your page fill will be noticed is in Firefox as it loads the entire page itself, and then will show the outline of the fill object briefly (as FF loads individual "items" with visible borders until the "blending" is achieved). Again, no big, as it all comes together for visitors nicely....
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
              X