Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Frames in Vodahost

Greetings guys, I just joined :)

I'm thinking about using frames in my site and try loading each new text element/other stuff into an adjacent vertical pane so that the navigation on the left never changes after being loaded...

any thoughts on doing this/how to do it? :)

Thanks guys :)
    Grant

Re: Using Frames in Vodahost

Hi, if the site is a personal one or your showing images in the frame it quite easy to do. But if you want the search engine to find you? its not a good idea as they cant see the text in the frame. (Assuming we are talking in line frames). Some good info on this page to help, lesson 25.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
      But if you want the search engine to find you? its not a good idea as they cant see the text in the frame. (Assuming we are talking in line frames). .
      Since iFrames need to be published online somewhere first (as they are linked pages, essentially), although they might not contribute significant SE value to the page the frames are presenting on, the residual value on the original published page will play to a site design but only if the original page is included in the Sitemapping and has some redundant interior linking scheme on it (usually at the footer, which need not be shown as the iFrame can be adjusted for height to "cut off" or mask this ... as long as the page is designed top-of-frame) to comply with proper page/site formatting.

Essentially, the pages you are using iFrames on become "secod tier" pages .... for visual appeal only, and the real site value and construct remains on the hard-coded pages that are being "linked to present."

One good thing about this method (to compensate for what might appear "doubled work") is that the iFrame pages add more value since they are being considered as "interior links" and "relevance" links (although undetermined) ... AND .... the SE's will not consider these pages a "duplicated Content" issue!
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks guys; I caught most of that although my brain hurts a little hehe

It needs to be SE friendly so I may forget about the frames regardless of other benefits it may have

and yes I was talking about inline frames :)....I think...lol

Thanks again,

Grant :)

Comment

Hey guys, I'm back with a vengeance :)

Iframes are pretty cool so I'm wondering more about what the search engine implications are....what are the issues exactly and can I bypass them by creating pages that aren't in my nav bar, but pulling them into iframes on pages that are accessible by the website user?

would the text that sat on a page in the server then be found by google and if a user came in that way I could shuffle them off else where :)

Thanks guys,

Comment

Hi, you can use iframe as vasili said, but the down side of any page that goes in an iframe is that it will be built from the top left hand corner & will quite probably have no header & menu at the top of the page.
            Remember that many will come across this page instead of the sites iframe page.
            Is there a reason for the iframe style? as you could use a php method as in this thread.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks guys, yeah I just realised a lot of my questions had been answered, I didn't fully understand the advice given previously until I had explored Iframes further but now I see what it all means :)

the PHP link didn't work :/ but I hear your concerns; I'm gonna roll with it anyway I think see if I can make it work and I have a few ideas for shepherding those that come through the wrong door so to speak , through to a happier place with design and navigation,

cheers guys, I'll let ya see the finished result when I get it done :)

Comment

....Keep in mind an iFrame displays from the defaulted "top-left"
                position of all web pages, so the page that is being presented via the iFrame should have nothing at the top of the page that should not be seen on the other (headewrs, navigation particular to the site, etc.).

You can move the iFrame lower, wider, etc. on the "new" page, and thus have room to install headers, navigation, colored frames and "template" page designs, etc. on top or above the frame itself, so you are not so limited design-wise in that manner.

As far as optimized values? As I mentioned above briefly .... If you design the i-Framed page at say 650 wide, you will have more than enough room to add text, links, and other core values to the "new" page if you even keep it to say 850 wide overall, thus creating value on that site in a hard metric.

For all intents and purposes, consider all "content" within the iFrame simply as you would an image with limited tag or descriptors associated. This leaves you with just the new "overlying" values contributed by any text, navigation (textual is best), properly tagged imaged, H-Meta, etc. to be read, ranked, cached and attributed to this "new site" on it's own merits.

Of course, this method allows the i-Framed site not only with it's own unique and original optimization values (since they are also hard-created), but as they are 'invisible' to the SE's in the "new site" they therefore also do not cause any conflict or raise an issue of duplicative Content site-to-site! Cleaner than even a sub-domain!

There is a lot more meat on that bone I could chew all day on, but I trust you will discover more on your own as the logic appears clearer once you are knee-deep in the work itself....

PHP? Not entirely necessary, nor any easier. In fact, since PHP is more dynamic in nature, the optimization processes are not as favored as the Unicode (HTML-based) coding that BV uses, so when tweak techniques such as this are used, it is actually best to over-compensate with doing things more rudimentary and by the numbers (meaning pre-optimizing in a compliant manner manually, adding in the Page Titles, Meta Tags, H-Meta, image tags, etc by hand) and allowing them to be read and cached with a deeper value than being dynamically presented via PHP would allow.

Besides, I think there are far too many who lean on PHP for the wrong reasons, like it being one of the earlier if not only alternative method some learned of here in VodaTalk forums, and simple habituation (and the same goes for their misunderstandings regarding clean HTML and even real SEO/optimization practices and methodologies). Anyone with a keener eye to real technoart would lean toward straight HTML or even AJAX. But, that conversation is for another day .... closer to when we are all forced to dive into Linux/RedHat just to stay free of the Microsoft visegrip on Windows morphing to online apps only.....
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Do not know if I should start another thread on this subject or post here as I am having a similar problem.
                  1. the reason I am using IFrame is for the continuous music benefit
                  2. IFrame linking works great for linking to header page of another site
                  3. however, when linking to an interior page..
                  i.e. http://www.fishermanken.com/managementiframe.html
                  it reverts and opens in a new window.

My test site to see this all happening is:

The "holapatio" and "fisherman" buttons work great.
                  However, the "management" button opens in another window .... i.e.
                  it is linked to an interior page at "fishermanken"
                  (please bear in mind .... this a test site for me.... no real content....)

Any Thoughts? Thanks Much
                  P V WebSolutions

Comment

Check the link properties for the management button, in the target area just leave it empty, save and republish.

And you should start your own thread for any post that you are asking a question, but not multiple threads about the same question (of yours).
                    Reguards
                    Ed
                    www.dsondesigns.com
                    www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                    www.300hitter.com
                    www.bigjk.net
                    How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Thanks Ed, I will do that. Sorry about the Thread thing... I wasn't sure if it would be overkill to start my own. But now I know! Gracias del Mundo!
                      P V WebSolutions

Comment

Ed, I changed the "management" button target to nothing, however now that button displays the data, but in a new window, not in the iframe.
                        sorry.... should I start a new thread now? Lo Siento, amigo!
                        P V WebSolutions

Comment

Originally posted by goldpaw View Post
                          Ed, I changed the "management" button target to nothing, however now that button displays the data, but in a new window, not in the iframe.
                          sorry.... should I start a new thread now? Lo Siento, amigo!
                          Ok I'm a bit confused now. The button should link to the page with the i-frame in it. In the I-frame you should type the URL of the page you want to display. When I make links I usualy set them to self but others in the forum said that you can leave it blank, I tried it and it worked. Not sure what is going on here, let me think it over and see what I can come up with. Maybe in the mean time someone else will jump in and help also. I would still start a new thread to get more people to your question.
                          Reguards
                          Ed
                          www.dsondesigns.com
                          www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                          www.300hitter.com
                          www.bigjk.net
                          How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Working...
                          X