publishing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• publishing question

I need some help. I just finished building my website and I've uploaded the site. Here is the problem. The only page that comes up is the home page. When I click on the links to the other pages a page show's up that says url not found. Can someone help me. I'm a newbie.

Thanks

Re: Help

What's your home page address so we can see? Also, when you say you've uploaded the site, do you mean you used BV to publish each page?

Tom
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

My site is www.kaufmanspainting.com

Thanks

Comment

Hi

The links at the top of the page need to have an extra step done. Open your home page in BV. Right click on a link you want to fix and click on "Properties..." That will take you to a box where you add the full name of the page you want to jump to, such as

It's best to include the http:// part so there's no confusion.

But: Either you haven't published those pages yet or you've mis-named them (a space, a capital letter or something). Once those are published (not just saved and previewed) then your links at the top and the bottom of your home page should work.

You may have already done all this, but check out each step to be sure you did it exactly right.

Tom

Comment

You did not complete the URL information in your linking for each "button":
          http://www.kaufmanspainting.com/aboutus.html
          http://www.kaufmanspainting.com/services.html etc.

Whoops! Sorry Tom for nudging .... didn't see you as I scurried up to the counter! LOL
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Aloha, Vasili!

Ogg-I missed that. On the other hand, the links at the bottom of the page are complete but still don't work, so there's a naming problem somewhere or he hasn't published, I guess.

("Ogg" doesn't stand for anything--it's a sound I make because I'm a cartoonist and cartoonists make sounds like that when feeling less than brilliant. See also "Oog." Both sounds predate "DOH!")

Comment

Harumph?? LOL

As you suggested, the footer links are properly written, nut may not mirror to how the pages were saved and published. He needs to make sure they are Saved/published exactly as highlighted here:
              http://www.kaufmanspainting.com/contactus.html
              http://www.kaufmanspainting.com/privacypolicy.html

BUT.....he needs to change the "Home" footer link from http://www.kaufmanspainting.com/index.html >>to>> http://www.kaufmanspainting.com

And another totally unrelated issue: the underlying image is way too big to load acceptably....ever think about "slicing it" or cropping it into smaller sections to piece together instead??

Comment

Hey thanks. I didn't add the Http. So maybe that's the problem. I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks

Comment

well I've tried and double checked the spelling and I still have the same problem. I don't really know what to do anymore. When I go to tools in BVP and click on verify links, the only one that comes up validated is the home page everyone else comes up not found

Comment

I don't think you have published these pages. If you HAVE, then look very closely at what you have named the pages and check the links correspond exactly.

I.e. naming a page about_us and then placing aboutus.html in the link won't work!

or Products with a capital P and then linking with a lower case P... check check check.... and then check again...

and as mentioned above... Change your link to your homepage button at the top AND at the footer of your page to just your domain name. you don't need to put /index.html at the end of this.
                    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Hey thanks. I didn't add the Http. So maybe that's the problem. I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks

Comment

Now your site has completely gone... What have you done???
                        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

When someone says "I've uploaded the site" like you did in your first post, it raises the question: Did you do this by clicking on the "Publish" icon in BV? That's the best and most foolproof method. And of course you have to publish each and every page.

If you open your FTP Manager (under Tools) and connect so you can see what's in the right hand column, you should see a list of all your images and things that are on your index page. Toward the end of that list you should see your pages: "whateverpagename.html" and so on. If they are not there, they need to be published. If they are there, carefully check their names; these must be exactly the same as your links.

We'll keep at this until we find the answer!

Tom

@Marincky--you make me feel like a very sloooow typist!

Comment

Looks like you dood it, Canonating--the first couple of links are working now and I think you'll have the rest going in a few moments. What was the solution?

Born and raised in Pacific Beach. The Spreckles and such are ol' familiar landmarks.

Comment

*POOF* Another site gets eaten up by the FTP Monster!
                              Or did the pot of soup explode under pressure from too many cooks in the kitchen??? LOL

Good reminder, Tom: Never use the FTP tools to "publish" a BV page whatsoever .... ALWAYS use the PUBLISH icon in Blue Voda to properly publish pages.

All this bantering about "adding the html://" means nothing --- it appears by default in the hyperlink dialog box, and you merely need to re-type it if deleted accidentally.

Make corrections to your "Home Page" link ---- remove the "/index.html" completely.

Time to slowly review the Hyperlinking Tutorials once again ..... otherwise, there is no point in trying to "get the hang of" something without fully understanding the principles beforehand, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X