Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - in need of help with menu/links

URL: www.blueridge-photo.com

Situation: I have uploaded 3 pages, (Home=index.html, slideshow.html, portrait.html) along with supporting files,

So far I can get the main homepage to come up online, but I'm having problems getting to the sub pages already set specified above via my installed menu options,

Navigation Bar properties on index (homepage) are currently pointing as follows, (note: i have tried different scenarios):

Name URL

Home not yet assigned
    Wedding Slideshow www.blueridge-photo.com/slideshow
    Portrait www.blueridge-photo.com/portrait
    Blue Ridge Links not yet assigned
    Contact Info not yet assigned,

Additional Info:

1-The sub pages Navegation bar have not been set pending this outcome

2-Regarding the URLs above I have also tried adding the html extensions at the end and explorer error come back saying in cannot be found.

Your help and advise is greatly appreciated,

Bernard

Re: Newbie - in need of help with menu/links

Some possibilities:

1. Your pages must be published using the Publish icon in BV (not uploaded).

2. As an example of saving and publishing a page, your "slideshow" page could be saved and published as "Slideshow" ONLY, don't add any extention. Then when you create a link to it (from your index page, say) you would specify "http//w...blueridge-photo/slideshow.html". (Replace the dots with www). Of course you specify that link by right clicking on the menu item you are creating.

3. Your photos load slowly because the file sizes are huge. Be sure to resize them--ask if you need help when you get to that stage.

Tom
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Finley View Post
      Some possibilities:

1. Your pages must be published using the Publish icon in BV (not uploaded).

2. As an example of saving and publishing a page, your "slideshow" page could be saved and published as "Slideshow" ONLY, don't add any extention. Then when you create a link to it (from your index page, say) you would specify "http//w...blueridge-photo/slideshow.html". (Replace the dots with www). Of course you specify that link by right clicking on the menu item you are creating.

3. Your photos load slowly because the file sizes are huge. Be sure to resize them--ask if you need help when you get to that stage.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I'll give it a shot!

Comment

I made one error: That should read "published as 'slideshow' ONLY," not Slideshow with a capital!

Comment

ok, I started from scratch, published through BV by just clicking the publish icon, all files are now visible through Control Panel and are in the public_html sub-directory on the server,

links were created through BV to the index page as indicated above prior to publishing, mi index (home page) still comes up but when I click the menu option to slideshow or portrait now I get an IE error 404 page cannot be found.

note: I attempted to save a file without an extension in BV as mentioned above , however BV forces a .bvp extension even when leaving it blank upon saving.

Any other ideas are appreciated, thanks!

Comment

I made one error: That should read "published as 'slideshow' ONLY," not Slideshow with a capital!

Can I re-publish or should I delete and start all over?

Comment

You "save as" the new name and republish. As for the .bvp extention all files are saved that way to your computer but when you publish they will be .html or .php depending on the type of file. The 404 error means the page cannot be found, check spelling in bothe the link and the way you saved the page. For .html files besure to have that in the address a typical link would look like this
              http: // www. yoursite .com / pagename .html without the spaces of course.
              Reguards
              Ed
              www.dsondesigns.com
              www.marseillesyouthsports.com
              www.300hitter.com
              www.bigjk.net
              How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

I would tend to "save" rather than "save as" because the save as would leave the old incorrect page still on the web (if I'm understanding things right here).

Bernard, make sure you republish every page that's not yet working, using the BV publish icon and being sure everything is lowercase, no caps and so forth. (It's OK to publish as often as you like, btw.) Then, before you try to link to those pages, check with your browser to see if you published successfully. If so, then you can start on the links.

Just to be clear, you check your newly published page by inserting the entire path into the top address bar on your browser, e.g. http://www.blueridge-photo.com/slideshow.html. The vodahost address showing at the top of this page is a good example.

Tom

Comment

OK...I see the link I posted above works! But your slideshow takes too long to load--we can work on that after you do these things:

1. Be sure to publish your other pages just like the working link (with the appropriate names, of course).

2. Correct the links. (At this point, one says "Http://" only, another has the bvp extention, etc.)

Then we'll work on reducing the way-too-huge file sizes of your photos. That will fix the slow loading problem.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Your two slide shows are loading quickly now

Comment

FYI: Save and Save As have nothing to do with pages on the Web. This is a function of saving files in your BlueVoda folder on your computer only.
                      CarbonTerry
                      Semper Fi
                      Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                      Zone 5 Photo
                      My USMC

Comment

But wouldn't it do so if both were published? That's what I meant. A page with a new name would not overwrite the page on the server; two pages on the server would exist, one with a no longer wanted name.

Comment

I would tend to "save" rather than "save as" because the save as would leave the old incorrect page still on the web (if I'm understanding things right here).

Bernard, make sure you republish every page that's not yet working, using the BV publish icon and being sure everything is lowercase, no caps and so forth. (It's OK to publish as often as you like, btw.) Then, before you try to link to those pages, check with your browser to see if you published successfully. If so, then you can start on the links.

Just to be clear, you check your newly published page by inserting the entire path into the top address bar on your browser, e.g. http://www.blueridge-photo.com/slideshow.html. The vodahost address showing at the top of this page is a good example.

Tom
                          The reason I said to "save as" is because the page already has a been saved with a name. If you hit save you will not be changing the name just re-saving it with the old name. To Change the name of an existing page you would have to save as to create basically a new page. And yes there would be two pages on the server but the one will not be linked to and will not cause any problems to be left there. If they wanted to they could go into c-panel and delete the other one, but there is really no need at this time as they should have more free space than they need.
                          Reguards
                          Ed
                          www.dsondesigns.com
                          www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                          www.300hitter.com
                          www.bigjk.net
                          How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Wow! it's working, Tom and Ed my humble appreciation to you guys, awesome help, I do have a couple of things I need to iron out on the sub pages but I'm up to par thanks to you guys.

Tom, regading modifying the images to a smaller size is there a way to do this on the fly, within the control panel? or would I just use photoshop and modify them in their exsisting location then republish those files.

Thanks

Comment

You're probably good at Photoshop so, yes, that's the way to do it. I use Corel or a really cool program called Xara. I also use one that practically everyone here at VH uses, PIXresizer. It simply takes your photo(s) and reduces the resolution and thus the file size. Still looks good on the net. You can learn about it and download it here:

@D'son and Carbon Terry: Got it! :)

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X