PDA

View Full Version : Layout of my website

rangaz007
07-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi all

I'm not sure where to post this question, I hope this forum is the right place, or the closest.

I'm thinking of having for my first page a flash/video clip, and then a welcome/enter sign gradually materialise underneath the flash clip.

This would be the first page people would see. When they click the enter/welcome sign, they would then go to my homepage. Would this format be weird? Or does the very first page have to be your home page ?

I basically want the first page to be like an intro page, and my second page the homepage.

Is this bad practice ? Can someone please let me know ? I'm sure I have seen websites where the very first page is like an intro.

Would appreciate any help.

Many thanks.
Rangaz007

D'son
07-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Personally I wouldn't do this for the simple reason that it could turn people off your site. Many that find your site using searches want to find what they are looking for as quickly as possible without having to wait for a video clip to fininsh. Also return users would have to sit through it over and over again.

CarbonTerry
07-17-2008, 05:33 AM
What are you selling?

rangaz007
07-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Ok thaks for your input chaps.
I'm not actually selling a product, i'm selling a service, as i'm setting up a nutrition & weight management consultancy.

Rosnasharn
07-17-2008, 08:55 AM
I use an intro on my site rangaz...have a looky.

Cheers
Sharon
www.rosnasharnfarm.com (http://www.rosnasharnfarm.com)

rangaz007
07-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks sharon, that looks cool. Did you just hyperlink the "Enter" button to get it to go to your about page when visitors click on it?

CarbonTerry
07-18-2008, 02:52 AM
If I am searching for information or trying to spend money I will click off a website that has an intro almost automatically.
But, that's me.

rangaz007
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
The intro wont be long, i've decided not to use a video clip. All I will have is a welcome "my company name" & an enter button. This will be animated and there will be a picture in the middle. The whole lot would probably take 5 seconds from start to finish.

D'son
07-18-2008, 07:08 PM
That could still be too long for most users. Imagine your self standing in front of a new store, you know nothing about and there is no description of what is inside and you have to wait outside with your eyes closed, and your in a hurry. Next to it is another store that you can tell from the description (sign) what is inside, you can enter immediately and have no supprises. Would you stand there or go on to the next store?

rangaz007
08-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Well, i've added my intro page now. See what you think?
I see your point, but I don't think people will have any problems knowing what my company is offering, as i've made it pretty clear on the intro.

Thanks to everyone for their input :)

http://www.perfect-sense-nutrition.co.uk/

onionpai
08-04-2008, 09:06 AM
I checked it out Rangaz, it took quit some time to load ( i do have broadband connection) but i like the layout. neat and to the point. From a customer point of view if i was looking to enter your site specifically i would wait a few minutes. otherwise i wouldnt.

Vasili
08-04-2008, 10:09 AM
You can always crop larger images into smaller "pieces" to "combine" into a whole picture (imagine it as mimicing "slicing" picutures, a normal method usually practiced in straight HTML web bulding)... eases loading time per image, and maintains file sizes also (most editors, including Pixsizer, find it easier to compress the file volume of smaller images than larger images of any resolution).

glendene
08-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I think you are trying to be creative for your own satisfaction and not for your customers. I like your intro but the reality is that it does nothing to make me want to purchase? If you are keen to use it make the 'ENTER' button much larger and possibly add a 'SKIP INTRO' option. I hope this helps

glendene
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM
PS... A service is a product and vise versa

rangaz007
08-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks for your input guys, I will bear this in mind. I will try and add a skip intro link if I can figure out how.
Cheers