vBulletin Forum vs. VodaHost Forum software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin Forum vs. VodaHost Forum software

Is there any difference between the Voda Host Forum software and vBulletin?
    Somebody helped me in installing the forum software and did it very well. Then I found out after visiting back to the Tutorials in Voda Host that it has free forum software too that comes with the hosting. Site name is www.godhearme.org.
    I am little uncomfortable with vBulletin forum because there is no tutorials (or we have no access) or support of any kind because this is also a free version.

My question are à
    1) what is the best thing to do? Uninstall the vBulleting forum software and install VodaHost forum software since it comes with the hosting package? How to uninstall?
    2) Is the installation easy to do including the databases? Yes, I have read the tutorials but…
    3) What kind of support is there?

Hope someone will answer me soon because it’s already in the menu option of our homepage. I appreciate it.

Thanks.

Re: vBulletin Forum vs. VodaHost Forum software

Hello. I am assuming that when you refer to 'VodaHost Forum software' you mean phpBB? If so, I have attempted to answer your questions below (although I do not claim to be an expert!).

1) I do not know how to uninstall vBulletin as I do not know how you initially installed it. Ask whoever installed it for you to help you uninstall it.

2) Installation of any script via Fantastico is dead easy; Fantastico will guide you through the installation with just a few clicks.

3) VodaHost is not affiliated with the scripts available in Fantastico and so can offer no support, however phpBB does have an excellent official support forum on their website. Fantastico will provide you with the link to the foum during the installation process.

Also, ensure that vBulletin is uninstalled properly before you install phpBB otherwise you will be unable to install the forum using the same URL (http://www.godhearme.org/forum).

Sorry I could not be of more help; maybe somebody with more knowledge in this area will be able to help you further.
    The Benjamin Langlois Network: http://www.benjaminlanglois.net

Comment

Thanks, Benjamin.

I was thinking of just removing all folders and files related to the forum software. yes it is the phpbb i think--don't know what's its called but if its the one with vodahost, then it is.

so if vodahost does not support this? whats the difference with vBulletin?

Comment

VodaHost uses vBulletin, which if paid for (under $200 for the lifetime script) comes with Support and Tutorials directly from the site.

phpBB is the Open Source forum script available via Fantastico!, but if you look carefully, it is an earlier version than is available from phpBB directly (which requires manual installation).

I personally would suggest you keep vBulletin and connect with the available Support, as it is a far superior forum script and has more robust features and abilities than phpBB or others that are out there.

Once you connect with the Official Support Community, you will find yourself much more satisfied and confident about using the preferred Community script..
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hi, must admit that I didn’t know that VB was available for free, but with any forum you will be better looking through the maker’s forums for best advice. VH have 2 forums for free.
          http://www.phpbb.com
          &

The phpbb has the most users & quite a few will be able to help you on this forum. It also will have the most templates if needed for a change in style.

Ah! Vasili got to the post 1st.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
            Hi, must admit that I didn’t know that VB was available for free, but with any forum you will be better looking through the maker’s forums for best advice. VH have 2 forums for free.
            http://www.phpbb.com
            &

The phpbb has the most users & quite a few will be able to help you on this forum. It also will have the most templates if needed for a change in style.

Ah! Vasili got to the post 1st.
            HaHa! I got four fingers that move fast, I suppose!

vBulletin is not free: $100 for a year lease; $180 for lifetime license.
            Support (Forums) is available for vBulletin, as well as Tele-Support Subscriptions.

VodaHost does not offer any scripts, but makes available to clients the Fantastico! software Portal, which currently lists the two titles Chris mentions .... Support and other aspects are clearly directed to the originators themselves, and not officially offered by VodaHost.

vBulletin is the best choice for online Community Forums, especially with all the add-on's, contributions, and 3rd party software enhancements available. You will love it!

Comment

Thanks Vasili and Chris.
              But more questions...

just to clarify, if i keep vBulletin would i owe them these fees ?
              would it make a difference if I got vBulletin somewhere else and not from Vodahost?
              Would i have licensing problem later on?

Chris, which one is vBulletin of the 2 forums from VH?
              I like the one where i can customize more and better support.

Again, Thanks guys.
              Very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by auntiebebs View Post
                Thanks Vasili and Chris.
                But more questions...

just to clarify, if i keep vBulletin would i owe them these fees ? Of course .... even if they "find" your forum during one of their regular NetSearches, once they find no authorized client coding present, they will either Bill you or shut you down remotely (it is, after all, a proprietary script with access only they know about).
                would it make a difference if I got vBulletin somewhere else and not from Vodahost? IF it was possible that you have a bootlegged copy of the script, it stands to reason that there will not be any support from vBulleting available (they make you log in with your client ID), and no recourse to fix any glitches or add-on's avalable either (since all add-on's are "verified" to properly distributed licenses only. Besides, it's plainly unethical, and sets you up for a liability that is not worth risking, IMO.
                Would i have licensing problem later on? HELLO? What is unclear about this so far???

Chris, which one is vBulletin of the 2 forums from VH? vBulletin is not offered by VodaHost via Fantastico! --- only the two mentioned above.
                I like the one where i can customize more and better support.
                Go vBulletin .... as I mentioned, far superior with room to grow (if you buy the Lifetime License @ $180).

Again, Thanks guys.
                Very much appreciated.

Comment

Vasili,
                  Thanks for the information, truly appreciated.
                  But i think i need to uninstall vBulletin for now.
                  We will just use what comes with our vodahost package.
                  Please tell me how to do this?
                  Can i just delete all related folders and databases from cpanel?
                  Would that do it?
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Use the Official vBulletin User Manual to uninstall properly.

If you need more help, you can always do some homework by visiting their Support Forum to see how others dealt with the issue, and possibly avoid some pratfalls that they encountered as well....

Comment

ok. thanks again.
                      you're a great help.
                      i appreciate it very much.
                      bye now.

Comment

Out of all the forums out there, my top 3 would have to be...

1. phpBB
                        2. VB
                        3. IPB

phpBB is however the best one I think is out there since it's free!
                        Demo: free forum hosting

Comment

I think this confusion with vB being free stems from the original post, where they were saying they have vb installed on this site www.godhearme.org

but on that site they do not have vb installed, smf is install which is a free forum script.

At any rate, there are tutorials (not necessarily videos) for all the major forums, you just have to do some searching

Register/Login Script
                          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
                          X