PDA

View Full Version : Targets

Lincslady
01-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Can someone please explain to me what these mean and to what ,where and when do you apply them?

Blank...ive set all my pages to this only cos thats what it showed in the video tutorials
Self
Parent

Or point me in the direction of an explanation tutorial please

Lincs

Watdaflip
01-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Target is used in links. Depending on what the target is set to, will effect how the page is loaded in the browser

Blank - Loads the page in a new window
Self - Loads the page in the same window
Parent - Used in iframes, will load in the outer page instead of the page in the iframe
Top - Loads in the top frame

Basically you have to worry about just _self, or _blank.

Lincslady
01-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks Watdaflip

so which is the most common for a normal web page?

Lincs

racefan20
01-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Self is the most common. Blank is really handy for when you want your visitor to see another page but return to your home page.

Lincslady
01-30-2006, 01:01 AM
oh i see , thanks racey , you should be called tipster lol

Lincs

racefan20
01-30-2006, 01:25 AM
They do call me that after a few beers..... or is that "Tipsy"? LOL

Lincslady
01-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Probably lol

sandysewin
05-18-2006, 03:52 AM
Somewhere I read that if you want the page to load in the same window, you just leave "Target" empty. So does that do the same thing as selecting "_self"? Or did I read it wrong? (Entirely possible, lol.)

Thanks, you guys are great!

Sandy

racefan20
05-18-2006, 04:21 AM
Somewhere I read that if you want the page to load in the same window, you just leave "Target" empty. So does that do the same thing as selecting "_self"? Or did I read it wrong? (Entirely possible, lol.)

Thanks, you guys are great!

Sandy

You're correct. The only time you actually have to select _self is if you've experimented with something else and want to change back.