Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new vista pc makes new folder in bv folder of site for each brand new page...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new vista pc makes new folder in bv folder of site for each brand new page...

Not sure if it is the builder or my pc (vista), but since I got new computer and downloaded bv builder, everytime I publish a NEW (never before published page), there is a new folder in the site folder with that name on it...

example before vista...

folder---Blue Voda

folders in blue voda...images, backups, templates, site1, site2, site3

folder for each site did not have subfolders...
    (probably should have with me doing more than one site, but I am still polishing the edges of my education here)

NOW...

SAME AS BEFORE BUT...with this difference...

site1 folder has

index.bvp
    resources.bvp
    menu.bvp
    robot.txt
    contact.bvp
    folder for newly created page that includes...about.bvp and all image files for that page...

everytime I create a page and publish, it creates a folder for that page (with all its images*) in the site folder...

*images do not go to BV Image folder and get renamed with each new publish...so instead of my logo only being one image in my public_html...there is now a new copy of the image everytime I publish, but not on republish...(Note: I am creating new pages from template and if I edit and republish a page, it does not make a new folder after I delete the new folder...HUH?)

for example...my logo is fav.png...and in my public_html, there is now fav.png, fav_1.png, fav_2.png,....HUH?

This wasn't happening with XP, so being new site, I moved the about.bvp and the fav.png out of the newly created folder=dropped the about.bvp in the Site1 folder and dropped the .png in the bv image folder and then deleted the page folder and then reopened the page in bv...no problems with image not being there...

But why is the folder for each new page thing happening?....Question 1

And why is there a new copy of logo image with each new page publish?...Question 2

Should I be "cloning" instead?....Question 3

I know how to "fix" the image thing, by using the direct URL of image and republishing pages....
    But how do I get it "RIGHT" the first time? (is this a "vista" thing?)...Question 4

Help!
    Karen Williams
    Your Belief is Your Reality

Re: new vista pc makes new folder in bv folder of site for each brand new page...

this thread is like mine, http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sav...age-names.html , however I did not change the way the folders are in the builder...

When I edited already published pages and republished, this problem did not happen....however, with every newly created pages it does occur...puts page in its own folder (newpage folder which has all images and newpage.bvp in it) in the folder of the website that I am publishing it to.

These are the steps I am taking to create the new pages....

Open new page from template and save as newpagename in the correct site folder...the template has all the images on it already for the new page, as it is an info site about the parent company....
    Add text content and save and publish....

I end up with a new subfolder named newpagename that includes a copy of all images from the template that were already on pc and published site pages....but now have a number attached for each publish (sometimes published more than once to get content like I want it for all browsers) and newpagename.bvp.

I closed the builder and hit the sack...then next day...
    I opened the builder and wanted to add some more content...that I noticed these page subfolders...

In one of the newpagename folders, the logo from the template was *******ted in this folder 4 times, resulting in this folder having logo.png, logo_1.png, logo_2.png, logo_3.png, and logo_4.png....
    In the same folder was the newpagename.bvp and 4 copies of a line shape that was on the page From the template...

And this process was repeated in the second new page....

So I closed the builder, opened the documents folder...moved the duplicated images to the main image folder and moved the pages to the main folder of the site....

Then deleted the two now empty folders...

Made serious content changes (removed half the content) and republished the pages....

No more new folders or duplicated images after that.....

Before changing computers....

I had already published my home page www.wsquaredenterprises.com and after that publish, I then saved the page as a template for the making of new pages. And had made a contact.php and a resources.php before the move...with no creation of new folders or duplicated images... in XP.

It wasn't until moving the files to the new computer with Vista that this began...Is this where I screwed it up? Was it because I copied whole folders of each site? Should I have just dropped the image files into the image folder and made new folders for each site and then dropped the page files into them?

What I did was drag and drop the site folders into the same level of hierarchy as the image and template folders that came with the builder download and then dropped the images into the image folder as it was before...

when I edited pages already published to the site everything was fine (no duplication and no individual folder for each page)...it is just happening with the new pages...

And when I deleted the two empty folders, it did not affect the way the pages showed up in bv and on the server...

In fact, once I deleted the excess folders...the duplication stopped...cause I had to check it out and see...

But with the new bv download, there came a new folder called backups and there are all the copies of the new pages and republished old pages**....is this an upgrade or a vista thing?

**about1, about2, about3, index1, index2, index3, contact1, contact2, etc. and on and on...for each page of site...cause I added content (one small text box) each page of the site and to resources.php I added several html boxes.**

I went back and studied all tutorials on the naming, saving, publishing, etc. and did not find anything to help me about where I went wrong...

Sorry for such long posts, but I wanted to make sure I covered everything I did.

At this point, (because of small amount of site pages and content), I am ready to delete them all and start over...
    And I obviously don't have the grasp of vista that I thought I had...
    Karen Williams

Comment

Re: new vista pc makes new folder in bv folder of site for each brand new page...

...OK, I have read and reread every inch of the BV10manual.pdf and...
      have answered those questions on the backup folder for myself...sorry, that I didn't check there first.

But still not understanding the new page = new folder thing.....

still digging....
      Karen Williams

Comment

Working...
      X