• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF Links - work on mine, but not publics

account ID#: transfer ID# 35346206
    Main Domain: shadowwood.info
    IP: 75.126.124.166

I know this has been asked many times before and I have read and tried to follow your answers, but I am still having trouble. I have all of my files loaded into the Public_HTML folder, PDFs included. ALL of my other links work fine...not the PDFs.

I originally went to the File Manager, highlighted the PDF file I wanted, "Looked" at it, copied the link in the browser, pasted it into my "Link" area, saved it, published it, and presto...it worked on my computer. BUT, when I went to another computer to bring it up, all the links worked except the PDF links...they bring up a dialog box that want my user name and password?

So I tried things from the forum: http://shadowwood.info/nameofthepdffile.pdf, but it cannot find the file, so I tried http://shadowwood.info/home/donygzia...thepdffile.pdf, but again, cannot find the file.
    I tried it without the shadowwood.info, and all kinds of combinations, but cannot get it to find the file. Like I said, when I "looked" at the file in the file manager menu, copied and pasted that, I could at least see it, but no one else!

I am beside myself...any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Cory

Re: PDF Links - work on mine, but not publics

That is why it is suggested to offer a link for visitors that may not have PDF viewer loaded onto their system to quickly (and easily) get a current PDF Reader directly from Adobe ...... whenever a system does not have a viewer pre-loaded, the files are "inacessible" and default to an Admin querry.

Using an "Image Prompt" is customary (simply Copy/Paste the image and hyperlink it) >>
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

PS: You did NOT create OR upload your files properly:

"Download Landscaping bid Package" >> link is >> http://75.126.124.166:2082/frontend/x3/filemanager/showfile.html?file=Shadow+Wood+Landscaping+Contrac t.pdf&fileop=&dir=%2Fhome%2Fdonygzia%2Fpublic_html &dirop=&charset=&__cpanel__temp__charset__=&baseur l=&basedir=

You did not upload the file where it needs to go!
      Do this ... in your Control Panel > File Manager > public_html/ > click on folder with proper domain name to open > upload PDF file here.

BEFORE YOU DO THAT, however, you must remove all spaces in your file title (seen above as "%" symbol being defaulted in), replacing them with a hyphen or an underscore like_this. And, quite honestly, reduce the titles by about 9/10 ... WAY too long and too many words!

Put all your "corrected" PDF files in the same directory, delete the previously mis-loaded files, correct the titles, and change your links and you should be fine.

Step-by-step, Cory......
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I am at the hospital with my Father-in-law, but will work on it when I get home. I "think" I understand what you are saying.

Cory

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
          PS: You did NOT create OR upload your files properly:

"Download Landscaping bid Package" >> link is >> http://75.126.124.166:2082/frontend/x3/filemanager/showfile.html?file=Shadow+Wood+Landscaping+Contrac t.pdf&fileop=&dir=%2Fhome%2Fdonygzia%2Fpublic_html &dirop=&charset=&__cpanel__temp__charset__=&baseur l=&basedir=

You did not upload the file where it needs to go!
          Do this ... in your Control Panel > File Manager > public_html/ > click on folder with proper domain name to open > upload PDF file here.
          I went to my file manager and uploaded the files to the "Public_Html" folder. Isn't that where they are suppose to be for public viewing?

I will go and shorten the file names right now and get rid of the spaces.

I am so confused! The first time the files were not in the "public_htlm" folder, so I loaded them there, but apparently not correctly, thinking it would now work. Why do the page links function correctly but not the links for the pdf files...what makes them different?

Thanks so much for your help; I appreciate it.

Cory

Comment

Did you ftp the file to your public_html folder? If not go in your c-panel and upload the file. If so then you link to it as you would any other page with the exception of the file type. ie: htttp : // yoursite. com/pdffile .pdf change the red text to match your site mane and the pdf file name. It would be a good Idea to offer a link to a pdf reader as Vasili suggested for those who may not have one.
            Reguards
            Ed
            www.dsondesigns.com
            www.marseillesyouthsports.com
            www.300hitter.com
            www.bigjk.net
            How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Originally posted by D'son View Post
              Did you ftp the file to your public_html folder? If not go in your c-panel and upload the file. If so then you link to it as you would any other page with the exception of the file type. ie: htttp : // yoursite. com/pdffile .pdf change the red text to match your site mane and the pdf file name. It would be a good Idea to offer a link to a pdf reader as Vasili suggested for those who may not have one.
              Hi Ed...so you are saying the link should be:

http://shadowwood.info/minutesfeb8.pdf ? What about the path? In other words I do not need to put: http://shadowwood.info/home/donygzia...inutesfeb8.pdf ?

See why I am confused??? I thought you had to have the entire path name.

PS: Yes, I did use ftp to upload files. I am going through now shortening the names. Yes, a good idea to link to Adobe, although the ones that could not bring it up did have Acrobat reader, but it wanted them to sign into the CP?

Thanks so much for your input...Cory

Comment

Just go for ed's advice and forget the home part as they are all in your public directory.
                Have fun
                Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                Newbies / Beginners Forum
                FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Originally posted by davidundalicia View Post
                  Just go for ed's advice and forget the home part as they are all in your public directory.
                  I'm having a BLAST! I renamed the files with no spaces & shortened them. I used David's suggestion of http://shadowwood.info/PDFfilename.pdf and it works on my computer; but I need to know if it works on someone not signed into the CP. If anyone wants to try the "glass buttons" at www.shadowwood.info and report back I would greatly appreciate it. I am not at home yet to try on another computer.

Thanks for everybody's help...keep your fingers crossed!

Cory

Comment

Its working fine..................downloaded your pdf.....good work.
                    Have fun
                    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                    Newbies / Beginners Forum
                    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Yep its working, good work.
                      Reguards
                      Ed
                      www.dsondesigns.com
                      www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                      www.300hitter.com
                      www.bigjk.net
                      How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Hi .. works for me too .. but if I could make one suggestion, I would suggest that you set the target to the pdf document link to _blank .. this will then open in another browser window so that when the viewer closes the pdf document your website will still be open on another window ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye View Post
                          Hi .. works for me too .. but if I could make one suggestion, I would suggest that you set the target to the pdf document link to _blank .. this will then open in another browser window so that when the viewer closes the pdf document your website will still be open on another window ..
                          Yes, I want to do that...I hate when you click to close the pdf and you close the website too - it seems so rude, yet it happens a lot. This is my first website, so I need to learn these little tricks.

THANK YOU to all that lent me a hand with instructions and testing...it is VERY much appreciated. I am sure I will be back soon with more questions!

Cory

Comment

Working...
                          X