self created template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self created template

I created my own template which consisted of several images, a menu and other stuff that was going to be common on every page.

However when I upload my pages and I've done 4 so far, each of my pages has the images renamed. So the same image becomes 100percentnz.gif on the first page, 100percentnz_02.gif on the next one, 100percentnz_04_04.gif on the next one and so on.

Anyone know what's going on? Am I doing anything wrong? Surely a template is the same on every page?
    www.ArlineFishingCharter.co.nz
    www.NewZealandFishingCharter.com
    www.TwinPines.co.nz

Re: Trouble with a self created template

Hi, how are you placing the image on the pages, & have you a link to the page.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Here is a link to my page http://74.86.118.28/~ejyuhupg/

The template comprises the menus at the top and bottom, The large image at the top and the columns on the left and right of the page containing contact details and some images. Basically my template is a web page with no content. I then open up the template, save it as a new page and add the content then update it.

Hope this makes sense

Regards

Murray
      www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

Hi, I got a feeling this is done to stop the problem that if a page a copied via a template, the image on your 1st page would be called “lets say” red.jpg & should be the same for all others. But if you had created 100 pages using 1 template & then wanted to change a single image on the 1st page, it would then possibly change the others weather it was wanted or not. Must admit I don’t like it as it then chucks out all image names & image alt tags which is important for SE’s. The other thing is it slows the pages down as you are loading different images for each page.
        I personally use the clone page, but have to be careful with the above. I wanted to test this, but my BV template side is not working.
        But checked it in a clone test page & seemed to be ok on this TEST PAGE.
        It might be worth changing the images on the page you gave the link to as the images are very large in kbs. Your main image is nearly 3000kb & the top left logo is 121. If you want copy the ones on my test page as they are 25kb & 9kb. It will help load the pages a lot faster.

Good luck.
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks, I had spotted that the photos were pretty large (a bit of a surprise because I thought I'd loaded low resolution jpg's for all my photos). Thanks also for supplying the smaller images.

I wanted my template page to set up so that if I made one change it would be propagated over every page using the template. It never worked that way but you mention a "clone" page that might do what I want. I don't remember seeing any mention of this anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Murray
          www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

Further to my last message. I see that I can "clone" a page by going "file" "new page" "clone page". Before I go through and rebuild by entire site (about 15-20 pages) am I right in thinking that if I create a page like my template, then clone it, add my content and save as "index", then repeat the process and create pages 1 to 20 then I will be able to make changes to my original clone page and those changes will be propagated throughout my website?

Hope this clear. If I can I will be a very happy puppy.

Thanks

Murray
            www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

No it does not work that way.....a clone page saves
              you work on Your computer not on the site.
              Have fun
              Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
              Newbies / Beginners Forum
              FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
              My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
              Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

So is there any way to make the same change to every page in your website? My recollection of Frontpage 98 (note how long ago I used this) was that you changed the template and everything using the template changed also.

It appears BlueVoda treats templates differently but do they have something that does what I want to do?

Just the simple task of adding a new page will require me going through every page to update every menu to reflect the addition of the page. I'm not happy with that and I'm sure other people aren't happy to do that either, so there has to be an easier way - yes? no?
                www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

Hi, can only really suggest navals way at this link
                  If you not sure! post back here & i will email you some of my pages so you can see how it works. There is a bit more info here.
                  Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Re: self created template

Thanks Chris,

I followed up Naval's idea of using I-Frames and eventually solved it. I think it's going to work. Thanks again, couldn't have done it without you.

Just one question.

When I set up all my links within my web pages I set them up for when the site went live. I figured that VodaHost would redirect my links to similar named pages within my test site and when I migrated my web site into the big world of "www" I wouldn't have to make any changes.

Was I wrong?
                    www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                    X