Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive, downloadable ebook help?

Hello everyone,

I have completed but not published 5 pages in bv and written an ebook complete with written exercises for intended purchase by the masses.
    My account id is 27156.

Can I please have some wisdom from the group regarding how to do the following.

1. Once client pays via paypal or soho ( I still haven't decided/worked out ) I want them to be either issued with unique, once only password to download themselves or email a pdf file. Easy?

2. Once a client pays, they are issued with a unique password to access a series of exercises. The client completes these in one session or more by either selecting answers from a drop down menu or adding their own answers, then these answers are populated back into the ebook and given/sent to client. Difficult?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated on either points
    Kind regards
    Alex

www.mywayweightloss.com

Re: Interactive, downloadable ebook help?

Hi, only an idea! But have a look at some of the inexpensive exam or even pole software. This might do for the second part. They all have the facility's to fill out the question fields & only be able to submit the form once.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Chris,

Many thanks for the suggestion. I am glad that at least it seems do able.

Alex
      Kind regards
      Alex

www.mywayweightloss.com

Comment

First part: you can do it with Soho, adding your e-book as product in the Soho cart.

Second part: Hm... How are the user input details be added in the pdf e-book ?
        This requires advanced scripting and a PDF php library to create the customized e-book.

Both issues can be combined in a unique script, but it certainly is not simple, and requires advanced coding tecniques
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
          First part: you can do it with Soho, adding your e-book as product in the Soho cart.

Second part: Hm... How are the user input details be added in the pdf e-book ?
          This requires advanced scripting and a PDF php library to create the customized e-book.

Both issues can be combined in a unique script, but it certainly is not simple, and requires advanced coding tecniques
          Okay, this confirms my fear that I simply do not have the experience or technical knowledge and it may take me weeks, months to crack it. So where to from here? I have a very good plan but sounds like I need some professional help with the execution. Do I outline my plan in another forum and ask people to quote? Can you assist for a fee??

Alex
          Kind regards
          Alex

www.mywayweightloss.com

Comment

A Word file solution would be much simpler, as PDF libraries COST. There is one or two that are free, but have very poor features, and paid ones are REALLY costy (more than $500 only for the library).

If the Word instead of PDF file is suitable to you, you may contact me.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi, one i was trying out a wile back had a lot of good facility's that might suite you. There is a free down load for a try out. LINK TO SITE
              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Chris, isn't that a desktop software ? Maybe i have misunderstood, but i thought the question was: once the user has input his info, how can i put this info in the e-book (i suppose he wants that done automatically) and allow him to download this customized e-book ?

There is that "the answers are populated back in the e-book, which is then given / sent to them" which is not clear to me. If this should be done automatically (kinf of like the invoices we recieve from VH or the login details email sent with each signup) then a specific script is required. If no automation is required, then certainly any tool that can create e-books is ok.
                Navaldesign

Comment

Hi George,
                  Ya quite right! i forgot about the last part.
                  But for an ebook it has a lot of great security features, like if its downloaded, you cant forward it onto any one in an email, & many more things like this.
                  Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

The whole part of Users making entries which then populate an eBook sound incredibly similar to the process of "customizing" say a Children's book with their name, town they live in, parent's names, etc. If so, this would only require changing the field values and formatting as you intended.

I am sure there are tons of options for this out there (do a Google search using tightly focused words), and then it may only be a matter of "scripting" the interaction to the cart securely (again, something Gen. Navaldesign can do).

Just another perspective!
                    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I'm afraid that there is none! I have long searched for a commercial script for a client of mine, and i have come out with nothing!
                      Whilst it is quite easy to do it with a Word file (because Word files, published as the content is a combination of html tags and plain text. The thing is different with PDF, wich uses objects and not plain text. A Word htm file can consequently be used as template in which you simply replace certain keys with the user input, whilst a PDF file can not be used as a template. You need to create it from scratch. This is what these php libraries for PDF are used for.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Dunno ... I found 2 companies that have the software to do it (although they may license it or however they configure their distribution), but they seem to allow the thing to run on websites for "cleint entry":
                        1. Astor Street
                        2. Create-A-Book Inc.

Creat-A-Book is the one touted by Amazon as the one "Provider" that has a program for their software to be used any way you could imagine (I think they offer a hosted solution also, which can be done via iFrame if necessary).

So, if you contend that it is a "format" issue, why then can you not add a formatter script to the end, as the process is "added" when converting Word to PDF: instead of specifying "printer" it would be basically the same functional conversion at the end? Is that not what PDF995 and the other "converters" do?
                        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hi Eric,

Not sure that i follow. I visited the links you posted (though, i admit, didn't spend too much time).

Create A Book is about customizing a PAPER book with some input. However, the procedure is quite different from what (i think) nosweatfinance is asking. You simply provide some basic info, then they PRINT the book with the childs name.

Astor Street seems to be a DESKTOP application also.

Maybe i've got it wrong, but from what i understand, nosweatfinance wants an application that will allow his visitors/customers to fill in a form, the info will be automatically placed in specific parts of his PDF, and the users will be able to download it on the fly.

As i said, maybe i have misunderstood.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks Generals

I really appreciate your inputs thus far.

Naval Design seems to have it with initial limited info provided. To clarify purpose,yes, customers simply complete an online form which is then automatically placed into specific parts of the PDF for users who are able to download, print out pocket book to carry with then.

I guess I could live with a word doc instead of PDF if cost and complexity are factors but it does kinda change my business plan for repeat customers. If they can re-edit document themselves then they won't need me.

Critical design factors I have identified are:

1. ability for user to be able to print out 'unique' pocket sized 4.5 x 6.4inch double sided booklet which is approx 100-120pages long. At present my PDF document converted from the original publisher file does this beautifully and I can simply fold, staple and trim to end up with a personal pocket book. This will save me and client time & cost of posting book around the world.

2. automation of entire process if possible. The ability for customers to be able to pay and download ebook without my intervention. Is it better/easier to use autoresponder option to send client email of ebook or create a separate webpage for them to access and download themselves after issuing user with one time password?

3. Ability of User to be able to select 3-5 answers from a drop down list of up to 20 answers or write their own answer in addition and even add a picture of choice. There are 10 exercises like this for user to complete. So this is way more complex than simply adding name and address.

Okay, any further comments would be greatly appreciated. I think from reading this I am asking a heck of a lot -seems like trying to run before I can walk in terms of web skill level. I haven't even got one site up yet..
                            Kind regards
                            Alex

www.mywayweightloss.com

Comment

Commercial use of the above surely means that Word is out of question. You would also need the software to "lock" the PDF. Although, with modern software, even a locked PDF can be converted to Word, which can be very easily modified (for more sales to come) and then just converted back to PDF.

The Create A Book procedure (where the book is printed in hard copy) is a secure way to sell customized books. In your case, i'm afraid, the content can be easily stolen and used to create a easily modifiable version
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X