PDA

View Full Version : Publishing required

Muzza
08-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Suddenly when I publish a page it doesn't seem to happen.

I've been making amendments all night. Save. Publish. Go to web. Refresh screen. View changes. Make more changes and repeat the process.

Suddenly, over the past hour my changes don't appear to be on the web despite getting the message that I've published my page. I've saved, published, refreshed - no change. Saved, published, refreshed - no change. Repeated about 10 times and then suddenly the change appears.

Try to update the next page and the same thing happens.

Can someone tell me what is (or might be) going on please?

Collectors-info
08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Common problem with your last pages getting held in your machines cache.
Happens to me a lot, it just gets stuck in there somtimes. Its not at the VH end,

VodaHost
08-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Please click the below...

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/personal-computer-forum/16073-how-tune-up-your-computer.html

Muzza
08-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys, sounds good but.......

I happen to run CCleaner regularly (everytime I empty my Recycle Bin). Plus my last actions before I went to bed was update,publish,refresh and the change was not there on the web. Got up this morning and called up my website on the web and there were the changes.

This suggests that the hold up was at the Vodahost end ?

Karen Mac
08-20-2008, 10:41 PM
NO.. not necessarily.. could be it takes the internet that long to catch up. thats why it takes 24 hours sometimes for domains to propogate.. depends what server you are signed into to connect to the internet

Karen

Muzza
08-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Hmmmmm internet is riding a pushbike. It's the first time I've seen an update take so long.

My concern is when you accidentally stuff something up. If you're unlucky it could take up to 24 hours to fix. One could lose a lot of business that way.

I'll just have to hope it never happens. Oh well, thanks for the info everyone. It all helps build on my own knowledge base

Collectors-info
08-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi, i am sure there was a post somewhere about you ISP can somtimes create this problem with pages getting held up in their cache. Might be worth a look at if the problem persists. If you get the problem again, post what you have changed so we can tell you if its changed for us.

Muzza
08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok thanks for that. I'll try that if it happens again. Have a good day and thanks for the help

Muzza
08-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Hi guys, it's happening again. I have updated the following:

http://74.86.118.28/~ejyuhupg/recipes-snapper.html

and

http://74.86.118.28/~ejyuhupg/request-a-quote.html

but the changes aren't appearing. The latter page appears to have an error. I think I've fixed it but I just don't know until the web reflects a true representative of what I have submitted.

davidundalicia
08-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Check the publish box

make sure that publish all files
has been selected...........

Vasili
08-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Running Cache Cleaner so often is the reason you are experiencing "delays" in your browser views reflecting what you consider changes and updates to your website: your browser does in fact take some time to properly display what it is being forced to consider as "new" pages each time it is directed, and thus may not cache correctly each and every element on a page .... especially if it is a complicated or heavily loaded page. You may be forced to refresh your browser multiple times to get a complete page version loaded onto your browser, and many times this is also ddependent upon the connection speed and RAM your system is configured to use.

Additionally, servers do not instantaneously present changes to pages published or updated, and require anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes to "resolve" themselves before accurately displaying page loads. You will note this especially when making changes to configurables from within your Control Panel, such as adding a new email account or uploading files to be downloaded according to format (as in a PDF or Zip files for download).
This explains why so many people freak out when their new email account isn't working immediately after logging out of cP (if they ever did).

Simply back off trying to out-think your computer by "clearing cache" so often, and simply understand the timing needed for the standardized processes to take effect, relying more upon Refresing your browser and allowing the time needed according to your connection speed and the server processing to coincide!

davidundalicia
08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi guys, it's happening again. I have updated the following:

http://74.86.118.28/~ejyuhupg/recipes-snapper.html

and

http://74.86.118.28/~ejyuhupg/request-a-quote.html

but the changes aren't appearing. The latter page appears to have an error. I think I've fixed it but I just don't know until the web reflects a true representative of what I have submitted.

There are many reasons why the web appears not to reflect a true representation of what you apparently have submitted........

Eric has very kindly explained one of the major reasons.

Other posible reasons are:

publishing to the wrong directory/other website within your account.

using "publish changed files only" in the publishing box.
(if in doubt, use publish all files)

Using a capital letter at the start of a file name when saving and then later
saving it without the capital. (duplicate file names)

2 pages saved, first as normal, and then the 2nd as php.

and I am sure that other members can add to this list.

When you are absolutly sure that you have done things right......step back and check again.....because what you have published is up there somewhere.

Muzza
08-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions - I've tried them all but no change. Wherever it's happening, I've decided that this is one off these things you just have to put up with. There seems to be a period in the evening where changes aren't reflected on the web straight away. From now on I'm making the changes in the evening and checking in the morning. Working so far !