not finished yet, but take a look and let me know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not finished yet, but take a look and let me know

This is my site. I am not finished yet, but would like any comments. I have been working on this for about 2 weeks straight now. I am no programmer, i am newer than a novice, but boy do I like Blue Voda!

my site: thelollipopguild.biz

thanks
    larry
    http://thelollipopguild.biz
    Larry Ranabargar
    The Lollipop Guild
    Hannibal, MO. 63401

Re: not finished yet, but take a look and let me know

Hi Larry,

I really like Blue Voda too. It - and this forum make me feel like I know what I am doing....I so didn't - but am learning.
    Love your colour choices. Suits the theme lollipops so well. Sweet & Colourful and now I have a craving for some fudge. Oh well there isn't any in the house.
    Back to your site.....A couple of suggestions that I have learnt in the forum...Many people leave a site when they have to sideways scroll......I did so i know this is true....Your site is much too wide for my small monitor. You need to set your page width at around the 800 mark..Some of the members in the forum suggest between 800 and 1000 but I settled on the most common mentioned width of 800. Just go to page properties and set the width at 800. I would also make sure that you have selected the centre page option. I didn't and had to redo many pages so that my header would stay in the same place.
    The only colour I would definitely change is the inside border of the sepia photo. It looks like a brick red (rust) on my browser. IMO it should match one of the reds in your name oval (probably the brightest although the pink may be better with the sepia)
    I have not checked all your links but when I clicked home on one of the pages (Store I think) it opened a new page rather than going back. What you need to do is leave the 'target' space empty instead of choosing _blank.
    Just in case you are not sure of where this is......Click on the navigation buttons click on your 'store' button and then edit. The 'target' needs to be clear.
    Good Luck with all the tweaking and keep on enjoying,
    Sandra

Comment

Larry,

Well done so far. I would agree with comments above from bysandra about page width and links from page named products 1a opening up a new page. Also, I would resize the pictures on the home page which are blurry to the much nicer sized shots presented on your products page. Need to rename pages with key words so eventually search engines can find you eg call Home page fudge/lollies/chocolate

Anyway, all the best.
      Kind regards
      Alex

www.mywayweightloss.com

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I went back and looked at my page widths, they were set at 808, I didn't think this was too bad, but I changed them to 800. I am using a laptop w/14" monitor to design my pages. when i set my pages to center in browser, I end up scrolling to see half the page. How important is setting them to center in the page, anyway? I have my banners and stuff all locked in position.
        when you talk about renaming pages so that search engines can find me, where do i rename them? Are you talking about when i publish them, instead of http://thelollipopguild.biz/index.html it should be http://thelollipopguild.biz/fudge/ca...lollipops.html ????
        thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.
        larry
        Larry Ranabargar
        The Lollipop Guild
        Hannibal, MO. 63401

Comment

I have to agree this is a mouth watering site. Well done!

To rename your pages right click the page in BV and click "page properties." on the first tab (which is "General") it says "title" change this to something more relevant to that page. This way search engines will find the content of the page much quicker. This post helped me try this Click Here.

I did have to scroll the pages quite a bit and i have a wide screen monitor so not sure if you can rectify this anymore than you have already. Your paypal Glass Button on the store homepage could earn you some extra money through paypal if you add it as an affiliate link rather that just a link to their site. this could be worth your while.

Hope this helps. i am new to this to and find that BV is so user friendly. Once again well done for whats you've achieved so far.
          Craftaholic Supplies, The Home For All Your Papercraft Needs.

Comment

neil1980
            thanks for the comments and advice. I went to the link and read about naming pages, good info. The more I learn the more I know. :)

thnxs
            larry
            Larry Ranabargar
            The Lollipop Guild
            Hannibal, MO. 63401

Comment

First off your pages are way way to wide you got to get it down to anywhere from 800-1000 width. You have pages that open up in the same window then you got pages that open up another window, keep them in the same window keep it uniformed. Your faq page there's a broken link you get a 404 error. Also you need keyword"s or keyword phases for your titles which you set in page properties. Google will not list the pages if you keep your home page home. Your selling candy product's thats what you are selling put them in the titles. You have nothing in the meta tags and no description at all. There another thing I forgot to mention your not starting your pages at the far left side in blue voda. The only thing that's positive is the look and the loading time of it. You got a lot of tweaking to do. When your done bring back here to view.
              sigpicJoe
              Funny Jokes and Redneck Pics

www.anytime-figurines.com

"laughter is the best medicine"
              The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

Comment

I think you are centering your pages on the bv screen when they need to be x, 0 y, 0, or upper left hand, and then use page properties to center.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by thelollipopguild View Post
                  when you talk about renaming pages so that search engines can find me, where do i rename them? Are you talking about when i publish them, instead of http://thelollipopguild.biz/index.html it should be http://thelollipopguild.biz/fudge/ca...lollipops.html ????
                  thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.
                  larry
                  It is not page names that you need to fix...it is PAGE TITLES...in the page properties box. Don't change your page names, just fix the titles.

Nice Start and Good Luck!
                  Karen Williams
                  Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

thanks for the comments, I am tweaking as fast as i can tweak. lol. Ok i need more explanation about centering the page or putting it in left hand col? I don't understand what you are talking about when you talk x,0y,0. All I know is that I have checked center page in browser in the page properties box. What else do I need to do?
                    Also when you talk about keywords, do i just put them in the title section on the page properties box, or do i put them in the name of the page when i upload it?
                    thanks for all the help.
                    larry

btw: I have narrowed the site, take another look and see what u think> I am working on the other twinks.
                    thelollipopguild.biz

also, just curious, did i mess up by choosing .biz the . com name was taken? Just wondering I dont know anything about this stuff.
                    Larry Ranabargar
                    The Lollipop Guild
                    Hannibal, MO. 63401

Comment

one other question: How long does it take to show up on a google search. I have changed the title to include keywords and have included meta tags and description on one of my pages. How long before it will begin to show up? Do I need to do this to all my pages with in my site before any will show up? Is there somthing else I need to do to get them to show up?
                      sorry for being an idiot, but the world needs some of us, so some of you have somone to talk to: :)
                      Larry Ranabargar
                      The Lollipop Guild
                      Hannibal, MO. 63401

Comment

Larry,

Looks better now that you have moved it all the way to the left and used page properties to center.

Now whats the purpose of the big fat circles in the middle of the page that have mouse over effects but do nothing if you click them?

Whats a twink? Do you mean tweak?

Your domain name should have been thought out before you purchased it. Biz might work, if they dont have it trademarked. If they do, or if they complete the process to trademark and they find you.. they will make you stop using it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Larry

How long does it take to show up on a google search. I have changed the title to include keywords and have included meta tags and description on one of my pages. How long before it will begin to show up?
                          Try putting a link to your site directly in your signature in the forums here. Indexing will happen a lot faster.

Comment

Working...
                          X