Cheshire Videographer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheshire Videographer

Ok, have a look at this one, I particularly want your opinions on the video samples that can be found throughout the site, mainly on the wedding page. Although made with flash they still take a long time to download, these are big files though, but to reduce the size could reduce the quality, let me know what you think, do you have to wait too long?, is it worth the wait?, anyone give me any tips to get them working quicker etc etc...

Warrington Videographer
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Re: Cheshire Videographer

Hi Ramsey

Site looks fantastic as usual.

I got my stop watch out and timed these pages. Using Broadband.

Results as follows

http://www.candystripeproductions.co.uk/video_sample_6.html

Took 52 seconds

http://www.candystripeproductions.co.uk/video_sample_5.html

Took 47 seconds

http://www.candystripeproductions.co.uk/video_sample_7.html

Took 17 seconds

http://www.candystripeproductions.co.uk/video_sample_8.html

Took 55 seconds

Is it worth the wait? well it should be because the quality is excellent which is what you you are trying to get accross in this site.

You do get the feeling though that nothing is happening. Is there some kind of swirl you can put on it while the clip is loading.

Or perhaps make a reference along the lines of . Our clips are of a high quality to clearly demonstrate the quality of our work.

Loading time can be up to 60 seconds but the wait will be worth it.

Ramsey your better with words than I am but I wouldn't want to run the risk of visitors being bored and switch off.

Darren

Comment

I appreciate your time Darren (171 seconds )

I might try and word differently yes, I just thought doing them in flash would make them load far quicker, if not instantly.

Cheers Mate.
      Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

not sure why they are taking so long. i have a site that done with flash/swf files and they play immediately. here is the link:

now im not sure as i cannot see the video and waited at least 2 minutes for them to come up. perhaps it is your flash convertor. if you would like to send me a file i would be more than happy to convert for you and see if it makes a difference.
        you can get my email through my website.
        mrmagoo144
        www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Originally posted by mrmagoo144 View Post
          not sure why they are taking so long. i have a site that done with flash/swf files and they play immediately. here is the link:

now im not sure as i cannot see the video and waited at least 2 minutes for them to come up. perhaps it is your flash convertor. if you would like to send me a file i would be more than happy to convert for you and see if it makes a difference.
          you can get my email through my website.
          Hi MrMagoo, It's wondershare that I use, and have used for a long time and I have created many many instant flash videos before, so I don't think it's the program. The girl that sends me these videos does send rather large and high quality videos, I always have to get them on disc, so I am wondering if it is just the fact they are big files.

Comment

again if you want me to try it wont hurt anything. to send the file because it is so large i would use send it. its your choice.
            mrmagoo144
            www.videopostcards.info

Comment

again if you want me to try it wont hurt anything. to send the file because it is so large i would use send it. its your choice.
              I'll give it a go, but it might be too big to send. I'll try...

Comment

won't send.... I didn't think it would when I saw you had Hotmail. Do you have a different email (outside of untrusting Hotmail?)

Comment

when i have big files like this i always send it by yousendit.com here is the link for the express - no cost and what they do. you will address to my hotmail address, they will notify me that i have mail and i will download from them. that way hotmail isnt involved. works great and as i said its free. the express works right from your desktop. let me know
                  Find out tips, tricks and best practices to improve how you share files and collaborate on creative projects.
                  mrmagoo144
                  www.videopostcards.info

Comment

when i have big files like this i always send it by yousendit.com here is the link for the express - no cost and what they do. you will address to my hotmail address, they will notify me that i have mail and i will download from them. that way hotmail isnt involved. works great and as i said its free. the express works right from your desktop. let me know
                    http://www.yousendit.com/cms/standalone-app
                    downloading now thank you, give me a few minutes

Comment

ok, one, two three four five.... lol
                      mrmagoo144
                      www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Ok, sending now, says 15 mins to send

Comment

Hi Ramsey,

Very nice site indeed! It presents your client very well and inspires cofindence in them.

I'm currently looking at different video formats and loading times myself for a filming project. The thing to keep in mind is that the film maker wants there work to look perfect, thats unrealistic of course as the only way to do that is load the actual footage which as you know is very, very large. The problem is that more times you compress a file the worse the quality. If your sent a file then thats one compression, convert it to a flash file and you have two. The result is bad artifacts on the image which has little resemblance to the original footage. It would be far better to find the format that the filmaker is happy with and get them to do one compression only, the quality will be far higher for the same file size. If they are happy with the quality as is then they can render the original film in a lower defintion and you get the quality as is at a much lower file size which of course equals faster download times.

What I would suggest is to get them to create a flash movie straight from the raw edit and not from an MPEG2 finished file, upload that keeping the comments about load times but they should be much quicker for the same picture quality. Then get them to make a 512kb wmv and then at least a 3meg wmv, these you have as downloadable links beneath the 'in page' video as medium and high quality downloads. That way the customer can get a quick look and have the opition of seeing a better quality version.

As I've said I'm experimenting with this at the moment and will happily share the results. If you can find out a few things I can keep in mind your requirements and let you know what I find out. I'd need to know, the raw file size of one of the clips, what format it's been filmed in, what the audio format is and the screen resolution. How many fps would be handy as well!

Cheers and good work,

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nick1346 View Post
                            Hi Ramsey,

Very nice site indeed! It presents your client very well and inspires cofindence in them.

I'm currently looking at different video formats and loading times myself for a filming project. The thing to keep in mind is that the film maker wants there work to look perfect, thats unrealistic of course as the only way to do that is load the actual footage which as you know is very, very large. The problem is that more times you compress a file the worse the quality. If your sent a file then thats one compression, convert it to a flash file and you have two. The result is bad artifacts on the image which has little resemblance to the original footage. It would be far better to find the format that the filmaker is happy with and get them to do one compression only, the quality will be far higher for the same file size. If they are happy with the quality as is then they can render the original film in a lower defintion and you get the quality as is at a much lower file size which of course equals faster download times.

What I would suggest is to get them to create a flash movie straight from the raw edit and not from an MPEG2 finished file, upload that keeping the comments about load times but they should be much quicker for the same picture quality. Then get them to make a 512kb wmv and then at least a 3meg wmv, these you have as downloadable links beneath the 'in page' video as medium and high quality downloads. That way the customer can get a quick look and have the opition of seeing a better quality version.

As I've said I'm experimenting with this at the moment and will happily share the results. If you can find out a few things I can keep in mind your requirements and let you know what I find out. I'd need to know, the raw file size of one of the clips, what format it's been filmed in, what the audio format is and the screen resolution. How many fps would be handy as well!

Cheers and good work,

Nick
                            Nick, thank you, I appreciate your input, I will speak with the owner tomorrow and tell her what you said and see what she can do, I don't like to take the responsibiltity of compressing myself for reasons you stated above.

My way of thinking too, is if someone was truly interested in using her services, they WILL wait, if indeed they want to see any samples. Those browsinbg the site for the hell of it may tut when they get to the sample pages but what the hell.... Understand me?

Do keep me informed of your progress. many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Marincky View Post
                              Nick, thank you, I appreciate your input, I will speak with the owner tomorrow and tell her what you said and see what she can do, I don't like to take the responsibiltity of compressing myself for reasons you stated above.

My way of thinking too, is if someone was truly interested in using her services, they WILL wait, if indeed they want to see any samples. Those browsinbg the site for the hell of it may tut when they get to the sample pages but what the hell.... Understand me?

Do keep me informed of your progress. many thanks.
                              I couldn't agree more, if people are interested they'll wait, kind of a self filtering process.

I'll let you know what I discover.

Cheers

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X