Ftp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftp

I'm back for a second dumb question. OK, I understand FTP, I understang how to transfer a file to my ftp (BV tutorial). What I do not undersatnd is how to access that file thru my live website.

Re: Ftp

The same way you would access a web page......with a link to that file on 1 of your web pages.

i.e.

website name = testone.com
    page name = test2.html (published)
    Filename = test3.zip (ftp)

on test2.html provide this example link: http;//testone.com/test3.zip

then when someone clicks the link (textual or visual)
    the zip file will download.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

I think I understand. Thank you!

Comment

does it have to be a zip file?

Comment

No, not sure why David gave you that example, I'll take his cookies away!!

example if you have a pdf file then to link to it once it's on the server you would put this after your .com

/nameoffile.pdf
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

www.kosmicfrogdesigns.com

Ok. I created a seperate page called ftp. I uploaded the file nsacard.pdf to the server. I put a hotlink on my contact page (over the S on Designs) it links to the correct page and I see the file name but nothing happens. What am I forgetting?

Comment

Originally posted by minszunx View Post
              www.kosmicfrogdesigns.com

Ok. I created a seperate page called ftp. I uploaded the file nsacard.pdf to the server. I put a hotlink on my contact page (over the S on Designs) it links to the correct page and I see the file name but nothing happens. What am I forgetting?
              Ok, firstly, this is why I suggest to upload a file the best way is to use your ftp program.

anyway, you have put the file on your server. now just link to it this way:

http://www.kosmicfrogdesigns.com/nsacard.pdf

don't link to the ftp page, you now need to delete this page off your server, it's why I do not agree with this method of uploading files to your server.
              Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Working...
              X