PDA

View Full Version : A tip for adding lots of images

DCOFFICESERVICES
10-12-2008, 12:35 AM
I thought I would share this with you all as over the last year I've noticed various threads about images just trundling on one at a time when you visit a page.

It's one of my pet hates with sites that I build and it doesn't seem to matter how well you optimise the images they still trundle on one at time. If you've optimised them well they trundle on quickly and visa versa.

My tip is instead of making several images, just make one big one.

If you visit this page http://www.kindoffice.co.uk/product_catagories.php if you look at all the square boxes in the middle, you will notice they all load in one go.

What I did was make one big image containing all those squares and then put transparent shapes over the squares, which contains alt tags and links.

Hopefully you will find this useful if like me you don't like images that trundle on.

Darren

davidundalicia
10-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi Darren

If you expand a little on "just make one big one", this could well be moved to our "Tips and Tricks" section.

DCOFFICESERVICES
10-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Hi Darren

If you expand a little on "just make one big one", this could well be moved to our "Tips and Tricks" section.

One big Image David lol. Bearing in mind I already made 24 square images previously, which were already displaying on the internet. While viewing this page I used my favourite tool 'snaggit' to capture all 24 images. When you use this tool it takes what you've captured to it's program where you can edit, resize etc and then finally save it as a .giff or.jpg.

Having done this I went to the appropriate BV page, deleted the 24 images and insert the one big I had just created and then started adding the transparent shapes to include alt tags and links.

Darren

davidundalicia
10-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the explanation for all those who might want to use this tip.

idesignt
03-27-2009, 05:43 AM
cool im going to do this in the am