Wordpress Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wordpress Error

Hello, I am getting the below error whenever I try to update a post/page etc. It only happens when I try to save an existing post, not when I create a new one. The updates are saved but I figured this error could be causing other problems, because I tried adding a "More tag" and it's not showing up on the blog. Thanks in advance for your help!

(Theme = elegant grunge)

------------
    406 Not Acceptable

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /blog/wp-admin/page.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Jacob Hebert
    Lake Conroe Real Estate

Re: Wordpress Error

Most likely your WordPress version is not supporting the Tag plug-in (very likely if it is a Fantastico! installation), since the Grunge is a defaulted template for earlier and current upgraded versions.

See the list of Topics for installation troubleshooting >> http://wordpress.org/support/forum/2
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I get the 404 error too. I did go onto the wordpress support but couldn't figure anything out. The weird thing is that I DID get into it once and then the next time it 404'd me?

Thank you for any help.

Comment

Email the creator of the Template directly: include the details surrounding your issue to allow that person to respond specifically.

The author/developer of each template is usually defaulted as a hyperlink at the bottom of the Main/Index page of the template itself, unless you removed it (against policy), but should always be available via the Demo where you got the template originally.

Comment

Thank you for the above response. But I didn't get as far as putting in a template. I did the fantastico thing with word press, wp sent me an email with a link to get into my account...that's where my 404 occured. I didn't get a chance to do anything to my wp. Should I delete and redownload?

Thank you again from the newbie

Comment

You can't mix a Fantastico installation with anything from WordPress, first off ..... and you need to know a few things between the two to be successful: usually the Fantastico installation offers you an earlier version than what is currently available from Wordpress.org as an "upgrade" or a "manual download/installation" and lest you get confused, it is much more difficult for the average User to manually upgrade a Fantastico installation than a manual one.

It is very easy to do the 5-Step manual installation using the newest version of Wordpress, and it is something I suggest everyone do -- especially since the newer version has a built-in plug-in regarding upgrades, which assures you that you can always upgrade with just a few clicks rather than a whole new "skinning."

Speaking of "skinning" it is also important for everyone to know that not all Wordpress templates (themes) are alike, and some are meant for earlier versions and some for newer versions only. Very few are written for both, and if you use a theme on a version not intended, functionality will be severely handicapped if not wrecked entirely.

Bottom line, you can get a free Wordpress blog with hosting from Wordpress, but yu will not be able to use your own domain name: it will literally be a sub-domain from Wordpress (i.e. MyBlog.wordpress.com).

Next, if you prefer the convenience of the simple installation via Fantastico, stick with Fantastico for every administrative mode, and it may feel odd but you can ignore the implorations to upgrade: every version in Fantastico is stable and reliable and will serve your needs successfully. Upgrades to a Fantastico installation are possible, but are a bit more involved than the original installation, so be prepared -- and follow the specific instructions provided on the Homesite precisely.

Templates, themes, plug-in's/add-on's, etc. are available for most Fantastico installations from the Homesite, but you must be careful to install the ones meant for our script version for them to perform properly. This is especially important to Templates (themes), as they are coded especially upon the various functional aspects of the core code itself, and if it is not present in your version, the whole thing collapses.

For Fantastico installations of Wordpress (and most other scripts), you must be sure the Global Permissions and server permissions are correctly set (Search VodaTalk for popular methods and solutions).

So there you have it, the basic rundown. Manual installations are better than Fantastico if you want the newest and most feature-packed functions, but the simplicity of Fantastico installations may outweigh your planned use for functions you may not even need in the future. You must pay attention to the versions of your script and the intended use for your templates (themes) for them to function properly, and the same goes for plug-in's and upgrades.

It's a matter of choice, planning, and personal investment to get the results you desire most.

I hope this helps somewhat, and that you find the answers you seek. It will be some time before I return to VodaTalk, as things have developed to command more time than I had origianlly planned. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
            X