X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting forum board instead of web page

Hi,
    I published all of my web page documents (html) when I was still getting an Index list. In the mean time, I installed a bulletin board. I installed it into the default root directory. My new connection must have been made whilst this was going on as when I type in my site address (Browns-gas.info), the forum page comes up instead of my web page (index.html)

Any help would be appreciated as I am finding this all rather laborious as I have never set up a website before.

Pader

Re: Getting forum board instead of web page

Uninstall your Forum ...(assuming it was installed via Fantastico!). A "Directory" can have only 1 index page, and since you have 2 in your public_html/ root directory, they are conflicting and the last installed (the Forum) takes precedence.

If you want to have a Forum in addition to your website, and are installing it via Fantastico, fill in the small little box at the top of the installation page with a name of whatever you want to call the Forum, and a Directory will automatically be created for you and the Forum installed to that directory.

You can then link to your Forum with a hyperlink such as this: www WebsiteDomainName.com/ForumNameYouEntered/
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks Vasili,
      I thought that might be the problem, but now my new problem is how to uninstall the BB.

Looking at the file manager for my site, I find a multitude of files of which I have no idea of their function. There doesn't appear to be an uninstall feature in cpanel.

Pader

Comment

Hi, you should be able to go back to Fantasico & the facility will be their to un-install the program via clicking on the BB you installed.
        Once this is done you can republish your BV index page to get everything back to normal.
        Wile you are in the cpanel you could also create a folder under the public_html area & call it forum.
        When you try to install the forum again you can tell it to install in the forum directory.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi once again
          I managed to remove the forum ok - thank you very much. However, now I am really confused. Although the forum appeared to be working, it showed myself and another on line at the same time.

But now that the forum has gone, whenever I enter www.browns-gas.info in the address bar I am back to the 'Index of.......' screen showing all of my files in the public directory.

Comment

Hi, delete the page http://www.browns-gas.info/Index.html & re-publish as index only. The correct link to this page will be just http://www.browns-gas.info/
            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi collector
              I have tried changing the page attributes as publishing doesn't appear to give you any file type options. I then tried changing the name in the file manager but still end up with the same index of..........

Comment

Hi, have you saved the page as just index & published the page again? When you save a BV page it automatically saves it as a .bvp format. All you have to do is just name it with no extensions like html or php, just a name. Then when you publish the page, BV will automatically change this page to a html or php that was chosen when making the page (Default is html) & format for use on the web.
                Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris,
                  yes, I tried both ways. The original file was formatted as html in page properties and I published it. I then removed the blued out html in properties then closed properties without selecting a file type. It was saved as bvp file. I have tried using 'save as' but it still insists on calling it index.bvp. As I said before, I even tried changing the name just to index in cpanel but it still brings up the 'Index of........' page

Pete

Comment

Hi, Yes its meant to save as a .bvp file. This is no problem as long as a user dosnt try to save it as something else. The BV program or server will see this bvp file & auto convert it for web use (html)
                    Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi, i see you have 2 index pages? you can only have one style of index page. Usually its just left in the properties box as html. If you have 2 index's it will confuse things & best to remove the .php one.

NOTE: Have also noticed your index pages are not in lower case letters
                      Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I must have misunderstood somewhere along the line. My impression was that the index file should not have any suffix such as html. I have been trying to work on those lines. Sorry about the index.php file, I was trying everything that I could think of and forgot to remove that file.

Comment

Would it be beneficial if, somehow, I could erase the whole site (obviously not the bvp files) and start again?

Comment

Try thinking in "modes" ..... and making changes to things when in the correct 'mode.'

Open Blue Voda, and open your mis-titled Index page ....now EDIT > SAVE AS > index and then PUBLISH it immediately.

Keep the reminders offered by others first in your mind regarding your web pages: A. All pages need to be named and Saved in lower case, Not Capitals; B. Use and underscore like_this or another method and do not leave blank spaces in page names; C. Make sure you Save each page properly to your proper BV folder, careful to not overwrite another page or another similarly named page in another folder; and so on.

Earlier, you were told to REMOVE your Forum that was installed via Fantastico by going back in Fantastico to use the one-click removal method .... NOT by File Manager. This is what I am trying to illustrate --- thinking and acting within MODEs...making Blue Voda changes when in Blue Voda, Fantastico changes when in Fantastico.....This is NOT difficult, and there is no reason to over-complicate things or not conform.
                            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I presume you mean 'save as' in the file menu. The is no option in the edit mode for that. I already tried that and it asks me if I want to replace the existing index.vbp

Comment

Working...
                              X