No announcement yet.

Replacing Existing Site With WordPress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Existing Site With WordPress?

I have an existing site that is pretty lame, and want to replace it with a WordPress theme for the main domain, i.e. I want to retain the domain name for the site. While I construct the WordPress theme, I want to keep the existing site running.

Would this be a good strategy:

1. Install WordPress in a folder.
    2. Complete the new site in the folder.
    3. Transfer the folder over to become the main site.

My problem is that I don't know how to replace the main site with the new site from the folder. Do I need to get Vodahost support to do that? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Re: Replacing Existing Site With WordPress?

I think you cant simply MOVE the wordpress as its attatched to a database. If you MOVE It.. it will have issues when it tries to run the scripts to the urls... youd have to get in the configuration files and change several outputs that are defined when you install it.

Then you would have the issue of conflicting files etc as the old site files would also still be there. Your best bet would be to have your account reset and install the word press where you want it, and put your site in a subdomain or folder.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hmm... Sounds awfully complicated for someone like me whose eyes glaze over when it comes to configuring servers. I looked at a WP config file, and it's all Greek to me. One thing's for sure. All of the existing files can go in the trash when the WP site is ready. So, that's not a problem.

My question really was whether I could do it myself. I know someone I could hire to do it when the time comes. I'll probably be better off doing that. Right? I don't want a subdomain. I want a sticky WP page to be the home page in the root doman.

In the meantime, am I correct that there should be no problem developing the new WP based site in a folder under the privacy option with a robots.txt file to block the spiders?

Comment

Id check with your guru to confirm that it could be that easily moved first. Otherwise you will have issues with certain pages not showing up etc etc. What I personally would do is put it in a folder, develop it and simply run the htaccess 301 redirect to the wp index file. Much easier than reconfiguring it or moving it.

Keep in mind you are going to lose any indexing you already have, and will pretty much be starting over anyway as far as the SE are concerned, with or without the NO INDEX to the robots txt. Personally.. id just start it over from scratch and be done with it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks for your help. Would this be the correct syntax to add to the .htaccess file to do the redirect?

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?yourwebsite\.com
          RewriteRule ^index.htm$ http://www.yourwebsite.com/blog [R=301,L,N]

Sorry for sounding like such a dummy.

Comment

yes...
            that would be it..

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
            X