Photo pinching!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo pinching!

I know imitation is the supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery, but my son Michael was very upset to find a picture of him riding our horse Jazz appearing on another website for an American stables labelled as 'our fave pony Tippy being ridden by Annie'!

This is not the first time this has happened. I now put a copyright symbol on more recent pictures, but have a dilemna - either I put huge lettering across the photo spoiling the photo for others, or put the writing at the bottom where it could easily be trimmed off.

I don't mind people using the photos from my site if they give a link back to me, but do object when they just 'take' them.

Not sure whether this is just a rant, or whether I am looking to see if anyone has any advice!

Oh well - better go and get 'Annie' his tea!

Cheers
    Trish
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Re: Photo pinching!

I don't blame you for being angry, Trish, I would, too. It's a tricky thing posting pics on the 'net without a doubt. You might want to try disabling right click - it's certainly not fool proof, but it may help at least a little. Also, what is the website that posted the pic of Annie? I was thinking maybe I should drop them a line...

And I'm sorry, but I'm still LMAO at your comment about going to get Annie his tea. I hope he's not too traumatized about that.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

I'm being ignorant again - just how do you disable right click? Advice gratefully received!

The offending website is http://www.*******s.com/maplemeadowstables/lessonstrainingmore.htm

It is a very amateurish site (obviously NOT BV!), and what makes me laugh is their slogan - Horses you can depend on! Well you can't depend on this horse - it ain't even on the same continent!! I suspect a lot of the horses don't actually exist at these stables.

Annie is getting a bit upset but I'm afraid I cannot resist - as I told him, it is there in black and white so it must be true! I am, however, a bit worried about what Jazz might think of being called Tippy......

There has been no response to my email as yet asking them to remove the photo! Perhaps if anyone else would like to email 'jessy_oh********.com' they may just do it!

Cheers
      Trish
      Trish
      www.Limebrook.com
      www.MountainWalk.co.uk
      www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

I remember someone else having the same problem about protecting photos and someone suggested that the photos be put on the webpage as a watermark so that it is visible but cant be copied. I am sure if you search the forum history you will find it.

How about emailing the offending website and asking for a royalty payment !

Comment

Hi, Trish!

I did indeed email Jessy and added a BCC to you as well. In addition, I contacted the hosting service and explained the situation to them as well. If that doesn't work, I guess we'll just have to try harder, and I have a very mean but fun idea. LOL

Tell Annie and Jazz to hang in there, we'll get their identities back. LOL

Disabling right click isn't something you can do with BV, take a look at hotscripts.com for a script that will help you with that. Like I said, it isn't fool proof, but it might help a little.
          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help - am wondering what the plan B is! 'Annie' is also very grateful!

We'll have to wait and see if they do anything!

Thanks again
            Trish
            www.Limebrook.com
            www.MountainWalk.co.uk
            www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

I'll detail plan B in an email, Trish. I think you'll like it.
              My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Well, even though the picture was on the web, it is still considered intellectual property, and is copyrighted. I would attempt to contact the site who has the picture, if you can't get a responce, contact *******s. If that doesn't work, threaten to sue.

Rule #3 on their site is to not used any copyrighted material without permission of the author. Even if they say they arn't legally responsible for anything their members do, that only gets them so far, they will remove the copyrighted material before it does become their responsiblilty/problem.

Anything you put on your site is copyrighted, text and images

Register/Login Script
                Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Hiya Trish,

If you come up with any solutions to people taking the photos from your site, I'd love to hear it.

At the moment, I have lettering (Our business name) across all of our recent product pics, and like you said, it spoils the effect. (It's also not entirely "fool proof"... a good cloning tool could remove the lettering with a little work)

I got a kick out of "Annie"... I have a 12 yr old son (Sammy) who would absolutely freak over having a girls name slapped on him for any reason! lol

Kellie
                  Kellie

Cozy Cabin Candles and Crafts
                  http://www.ccabincandles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Watdaflip

Rule #3 on their site is to not used any copyrighted material without permission of the author. Even if they say they arn't legally responsible for anything their members do, that only gets them so far, they will remove the copyrighted material before it does become their responsiblilty/problem.
                    Exactly right. This company relies on advertising to make it all click and a thing like this can make them look bad to their advertisers (especially because we're going to email the sponsors directly if this isn't fixed soon).
                    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Check your email, Trish! This issue will be corrected soon with a little participation on your part.
                      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Nice work, Trish! http://www.*******s.com/abuseFrozen.htm
                        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

hi got a script for you copy and paste, right click page open page html, click end of page paste this code :

<script language="JavaScript1.2">
                          /*
                          Disable right click script II (on images)- By Dynamicdrive.com
                          For full source, Terms of service, and 100s DTHML scripts
                          Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com
                          */
                          var clickmessage="Nice try sunshine, Better luck next time.!"
                          function disableclick(e) {
                          if (document.all) {
                          if (event.button==2||event.button==3) {
                          if (event.srcElement.tagName=="IMG"){
                          alert(clickmessage);
                          return false;
                          }
                          }
                          }
                          else if (document.layers) {
                          if (e.which == 3) {
                          alert(clickmessage);
                          return false;
                          }
                          }
                          else if (document.getElementById){
                          if (e.which==3&&e.target.tagName=="IMG"){
                          alert(clickmessage)
                          return false
                          }
                          }
                          }
                          function associateimages(){
                          for(i=0;i<document.images.length;i++)
                          document.images[i].onmousedown=disableclick;
                          }
                          if (document.all)
                          document.onmousedown=disableclick
                          else if (document.getElementById)
                          document.onmouseup=disableclick
                          else if (document.layers)
                          associateimages()
                          </script>

Then click between head tag you can add the following code:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">

you can change the red wrighting to what you want to say when your vister right clicks
                          hope this help.

Comment

Thanks Racefan - I hadn't checked! It is very nice to know that sometimes something can get done. I wouldn't have thought of contacting *******s if you hadn't pointed it out so I really am grateful! This person deserves to have their website taken off line - they didn't respond to any of my emails!

Thanks also for the script to disable right click - not sure I want to do this, I might just rely on putting a copyright symbol on the best pics. I'll see how it goes!

Cheers
                            Trish
                            www.Limebrook.com
                            www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                            www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

the script from aliens annon above for stopping your photos being pinched works a treat- nice 1 i'm impressed!

Comment

Working...
                              X