Linking file in password protected directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking file in password protected directory

I have searched high and low and cannot find an answer to my question. I want to make available a Windows Media File to clients. I created a password protected folder in the control panel called seminarfiles. I uploaded the file to the file manager. I created a .bvp page in blue voda with a hyperlink to the file.

So far so good. I get to the file but it's on a blank generic page that reads:

Index of /seminarfiles
    · Parent Directory
    · 2008-11-11 19.33 Meet Now.wmv
    · bv01944.png
    · bv01945.gif
    · bv01945_over.gif
    · bv01946.gif
    · bv01946_over.gif
    · bv01947.gif
    · bv01947_over.gif
    · bv01948.gif
    · bv01948_over.gif
    · bv01949.gif
    · bv01949_over.gif
    · bv01950.gif
    · bv01950_over.gif
    · bv01951.gif
    · bv01951_over.gif
    · bv01952.gif
    · bv01952_over.gif
    · bv01953.gif
    · bv01953_over.gif
    · bv01954.gif
    · bv01954_over.gif
    · bv01955.gif
    · bv01955_over.gif
    · bv01956.gif
    · bv01956_over.gif
    · members.html
    · pngfix.***
    · seminarfiles.html
    · trans.gif
    · undercolor.gif
    Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.njcaptions.com Port 80

I would like for the link to download 2008-11-11 19.33 Meet Now.wmv to the client's computer rather than land on this ugly page. What am i missing? At the very least, I'd like the client to be able to play and/or save the file from here, but how do i get this page to look like my other pages?

Also, do you know if it's possible to put an expiration date on the .wmv file so after, say, 60 days, the client can't use it any longer?

Finally, I'm a little confused about the differences between FTP and file manager. Before the new control panel (??), I used to copy files to the FTP manager. Now i discover thru the forum the file manager. So i follow some expert's advice and copy the .wmv (very large file, by the way) to the file manager. I assume that's the way to do it. The strange thing is, i do not have a seminarfiles folder in my Blue Voda directory, so i don't know where to store the .bvp pages that are published in that password-protected directory. It's my OCD that wants to put them in a folder called seminarfiles. Can i just create a folder called seminarfiles in Blue Voda?

One more thing...when i open File Manager thru Control Panel, everything takes forever to load. Occasionally i get a message about scripting (??). Is this normal? Any idea how to fix it?

I know it's a lot, but i searched the forum thoroughly and got many of my questions answered before posting. Thanks in advance.

Jen

Re: Linking file in password protected directory

First things first:

You need to create a page and save it as
    index
    and then publish it to that (ugly) directory asap.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Ok, i figured out how to get rid of the ugly page, or i should say why it was going there in the first place. i mistakenly typed the link to the directory and not to a page in the directory.

Now i've added another file, .rtf file, to the mix; i uploaded it in file manager to the protected directory and linked it http://www.njcaptions.com/seminarfil...tlog111108.rtf as such, but it's saying file not located on server. I see the file there both in file manager and in FTP Manager. I thought maybe it was because originally the file was named ChatLog etc. so i changed the name to lowercase. same result. I have linked many files on my site and never had any problems. Incidentally, i tried putting the file in my public folder and it worked fine. So what is it about this password protected folder that i'm missing?

also, when it's in the public folder, internet explorer asks if you want to download it or save it. that's what i want to happen in the seminarfiles (password protected) directory, but with the .wmv file, it will only open it and play it; you can't right click and save it and you don't get a download dialogue box. anyone know why?

Thanks.

Jen

Comment

that's http://www.njcaptions.com/seminarfil...tlog111108.rtf

not sure why it got chopped up when i posted.

Comment

Once you properly title and format your files, you will need to upload them (via the Upload feature within cP) to that Password Protected Directory, as they need to be within the same Directory as the link was published to if to have access to it.
          In other words, your link will look like this (note the missing characters to "down" the link so you can see it) > www njcations.com/seminarfiles/whateverfiles.wmv .... and this indicates you have previously uploaded the file to the /seminarfile/ directory.

If you have not created a Password Protected Directory using the Icon in your cPanel, then you have been wasting your time, as the auto-creation feature will configure it for you.
          Although it is possible to "protect" a previously established directory, but I can tell you have not done so. Soooooo....

Make sure you have copies of all your files, and simply delete the "directory" you have established, and then re-create it using the Pasword Protect icon in your cPanel. Then, simply re-publish/load files back to the properly created directory as normal.

* Be sure you have the proper extensions for your media files (.WMV, .AVI, .SWF, etc.) and not an un-actionable one (.rtf). You want them to be sure to be opened and played!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Your file may not appear (even if it is in the directory) if its permissions are something else than the correct 644.

IE will only play the file because this is a file that IE can by default open. The same wil happen with a Word file, a PDF file ar ANY other format for which you have the application installed on your computer and IE can recognize it (not in all cases - all computers this happens)

Suggestion: since you have the password protected folderlogin details (whilst i don't) type in your browser http://www.njcaptions.com/seminarfiles/

This will result in the directory content appearing. Look IF the file is there, and if yes, clik on it. If it gives you again the error Not Found, it is a permissions issue. Connect with FTP or file Manager, and change the file permissions to 644.

Yes, File manager is somewhat slow, as it has a very heavy Javascript embedded. IE will at times provide a warning message . FTP is always MUST faster.

.rtf is Rich Text Format and is a universally recognized text file format, that can be opened in any of the modern software, like Word, Open Office, Lotus, etc, but, most important, it can also be opened by older text processors (when the rtf fomat was the only solution for embedding tables, symbols, and some other basic enrichment features)
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
              .rtf is Rich Text Format and is a universally recognized text file format, that can be opened in any of the modern software, like Word, Open Office, Lotus, etc, but, most important, it can also be opened by older text processors (when the rtf fomat was the only solution for embedding tables, symbols, and some other basic enrichment features)
              Yes, but this has always been about a Media File (like the WMV file already loaded), correct? The media file I have been following is not a text document that needs to be opened in Word or Works, and does not appear to be a PDF either. Or am I blind now on top of things?
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

" Now i've added another file, .rtf file, to the mix; "

I think it was clear that Jen was talking about another file.
                Navaldesign
                Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks both of your help. First off, i am a she:) And, yes, I was referring to 2 files, one a .wmv file, which would only play not offer download/save options when clicked on, and one an .rtf file, which i kept getting an error even though it was in the correct folder.

I deleted the seminarfiles directory and created a new directory called members. i password protected it from cpanel. i will upload both files later thru the file manager.

The question i still have is this. Must you upload files thru the file manager versus the FTP manager? Yes, file manager is ridiculously slow, so much so i dread going there. I love FTP manager. It's so easy to use and very fast. Still wondering what the difference is.

I will not have time to re-link everything for a couple days. I will post any questions/problems i may have at that time. Hopefully, things will go a bit more smoothly this time.

Thanks again.

Jen

Comment

Jen

Use whichever ftp program that you are comfortable with..............
                    Have fun
                    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                    Newbies / Beginners Forum
                    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Working...
                    X