Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

upload Wordpress 2.6.3 to fantastico in cpanel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upload Wordpress 2.6.3 to fantastico in cpanel??

Hi All,
    Hope everyone is well!
    It's been a while but I'm not working right now, and thought it would be a good time to install Wordpress 2.6.3. But I'm having trouble uploading the files using File Manager in cPanel.
    I've got the files on my computer ready to upload, but it just won't happen.
    Any ideas?
    It could well be some simple thing I'm not doing correctly, but my mission is to fully understand the inner workings of cPanel and I won't rest until I'm successful(at least not much LOL).
    My id is 21790
    Thanks for your help,
    I really do appreciate it,
    Jerry

Re: uploading Worpress 2.6.3 to Fantastico in cPanel

Hi again,
    An update on my efforts to upload 2.6.3 if I may.
    I have the zipped files in my hardrive and out of frustration I uploaded them, and was successful. But alas, I still can't upload the unzipped version that I entered my info in the config folder ect.
    Thanks again for any help offered,
    Jerry

Comment

Re: uploading Worpress 2.6.3 to Fantastico in cPanel

Did you read the docs at the wordpress site? They pretty much explain what you need to do. You dont install it to fantastico.. you up it to the domain you want it on .. or the folder in that domain.

If you cant install it yourself you can put in a support ticket to have them install it for you or.. you can contact me or one of the other free lancers to install it for you. Of course there will be a fee.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Re: upload Wordpress 2.6.3 to fantastico in cpanel??

Hey thanks Karen Mac,
        Yes I read every bit of info I could find at Wordpress.org, cPanel.com, I googled it ect.
        I thought you would upload to fantastico and replace the older version that's there.
        So let me get this straight...after uploading the new version you won't access it through fantastico?
        You would just go to your blog URL and put in a password to get to your admin access?
        Thanks again Karen Mac I really do appreciate all your help!!!
        Jerry

Comment

You've both got this all backwards, and are likely using the same terms for different meanings.

1. It is possible to manually upgrade a Wordpress installation that was originally created via Fantastico! by following the instructions to the letter. After you manually upgrade, your will still be able to "manage" your installation thru your Control Panels (WP for the Blog Admin, cP for residency), but not Fantastico!, since the auto-install script has been "severed." This method is special, however, as it allows you to not lose your earlier blogged archives and DB configuration!
          Converting "Manual" to Fantastico (same process to upgrade a Fantastico installation), use this documentation and follow the links >> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/209738

2. To upgrade a previously manually installed Wordpress, you need to follow the simple 3-Step instructions.
          Follow these simple "Official" Upgrading instructions documented at WordPress for default installations >> http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress

3. It is not difficult to install Wordpress from scratch, as the instructions are only 5 steps and the VodaHost servers are the most user-friendly in the business.
          Manual Installaton Instructions >> http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress

4. There is no need to confuse the Control Panel, Fantastico, or the WP-Admin access further: use whatever "Master" level interface you used to install your most current version of Wordpress. This requires you to think not only logically, but more "linear" than you have been.

Once you simplify your processing, you will clearly see the sense of it all, and once again enjoy Wordpress as the easiest-to-use blgging tool on the net!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks for the response Vasili,
            Although redundant and unhelpful. I at a loss for words here, so I'll say good nite, and try to simplify and straighten out my thinking tomorrow.
            Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by jerryl View Post
              Yes I read every bit of info I could find at Wordpress.org, cPanel.com, I googled it etc.
              I thought you would upload to fantastico and replace the older version that's there. Did you read the instructions, or glance at them to get "the idea"?
              So let me get this straight...after uploading the new version you won't access it through fantastico? No. See #1 below.
              You would just go to your blog URL and put in a password to get to your admin access? Correct, seeing as how this is the only alternative to the above.
              Jerry
              Originally posted by Vasili View Post
              1. It is possible to manually upgrade a Wordpress installation that was originally created via Fantastico! by following the instructions to the letter. After you manually upgrade, your will still be able to "manage" your installation thru your Control Panels (WP for the Blog Admin, cP for residency), but not Fantastico!, since the auto-install script has been "severed." This method is special, however, as it allows you to not lose your earlier blogged archives and DB configuration!
              Converting "Manual" to Fantastico (same process to upgrade a Fantastico installation), use this documentation and follow the links >> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/209738
              Thanks for the response Vasili,
              Although redundant and unhelpful.
              Sorry you found it "redundant" and "unhelpful."

These simple methods seem to work for all the rest of us easily enough .... hope that you too, get it worked out!

Upgrade Extended Installations (Fantastico)

Comment

Hey thanks Karen Mac,
                Yes I read every bit of info I could find at Wordpress.org, cPanel.com, I googled it ect.
                I thought you would upload to fantastico and replace the older version that's there.
                So let me get this straight...after uploading the new version you won't access it through fantastico?
                You would just go to your blog URL and put in a password to get to your admin access?
                Thanks again Karen Mac I really do appreciate all your help!!!
                Jerry
                No.. if you want to manually install the newer version you dont do fantastico at all. You do have to follow the instructions, create your database and users, and edit your config file to run the install. After you run the install then you can go straight to your domain and login.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks again for your help Vasili,
                  Sorry for the "redundant" and "unhelpful" response, I was getting tired and frustration was setting in.
                  I've gotten the links to the installation instructions at Wordpress.org on more then one occasion, and have read them many times.
                  Really my problem is not having a firm grasp of even the basics when it comes to transferring files,accessing files, uploading, downloading, ect.
                  I guess I need a good book on the basics.
                  The learning curve tends to be steep when you try to learn all this without much help.
                  The internet isn't always helpful either because of the glut of info, most of it being useless.
                  I will get it worked out, and put out a high quality blog...damnit I will!
                  I can see you know what you're talking about, and give you a "A" on thoroughness with regards to your responses!
                  Anyway I'll get my blog up and running and come back so you can take a look.
                  Thanks again,
                  Jerry

Comment

Thanks Karen Mac,
                    I'll figure it out, and get it up and running, after all the rest of you have...right?
                    Thanks for all your help,
                    Jerry

Comment

There might be some confusion about whether or not you are upgrading a previously installed version of WP or if you want a totally new installation: like Karen reiterated for me, if you do not have a current WP blog, you would be better off simply installing a fresh version manually rather than try to "upgarde" a Fantastico! version just because it seems easier to install from the get-go!

The only reason to upgrade and go through the complications of skinning a Fantastico! version is to preserve whatever has already been entered into the blog (articles, User info, etc.), by dealing with the DB and configuration files with kid gloves.
                      Manually installing Wordpress is not a difficult process at all, and is what I try to recommend to everyone. Besides, any additional upgrades of a manual install is never such a complicated task, simply because you don't have to deal with the 'leftover' Fantastico! scripts and peculiarities.

WP 5-Minute Manual Installation Instructions
                      Wordpress 2.6.3 Download For Manual Installation

Comment

I purposely haven't started a blog on VodaHost because I figured a new clean install(with no content to mess with) would be easiest, and it was, until step
                        5, of The 5-minute Install.
                        I have a free blog www.ebizinfosite.com at Wordpress.com and www.cashblog-n.com at Blogger and I've built a few websites with www.weluvbabies.com being my most complete, and I'm stuck trying to move some files, the truth is I've never had to do it before.
                        In File Manager within cPanel the Wordpress files should be put in the "public_html" folder correct?
                        If I just upload to that folder, that would be installing in the root?
                        And if I create a new folder there and install into it, that would be in a sub directory?
                        I know this is simple stuff but that's where I'm at.
                        Thanks
                        Jerry

Comment

If you want the blog to be the main domain, no site, just the blog itself then you up them to the public_html folder. If you want them as PART of the site then you create a folder to upload them to (subfolder)

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                          X