making corrections to published website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making corrections to published website

I have published my website (through the help of David). Now, I would like to make corrections to the website. I believe I am having a linking problem. My site is: www.powerofpinkbcf.com and my home page URL is: www.powerofpinkbcf.com/index.html. However, my about us page is: www.powerofpinkbcfr.com/aboutus.html. It opens correctly. So, why is it that www.powerofpinkbcf.com/contactus.html does not?

Re: making corrections to published website

You need to look at your file names on your website using the file manager in your cpanel or use the ftp program in your bluevoda.

You will find that the file names are different.

Change the file names or change the links.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

I appreciate all the help you have given me. I read through lots and lots of these threads hoping to learn how to take care of my problem. I am trying some of things that were suggested to other people. I will keep trying. Again, thank you.

Comment

Ilene

If you note and save your existing pages as below then you will resolve your linking problems when you publish the corrected pages.

Volunteer.php (note the capital V - should all be lowercase)
        survivorstories.php (ok)
        photogallery.html (ok)
        contactus.php (ok)
        Donations.php (note the capital D - should all be lowercase)
        Events.php (note the capital E - should all be lowercase)
        Get Involved.html (dont leave spaces between words and use lowercase)

And change your links to address your corrected page names.

Good luck..........
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Comment

I went into each individual page and re-set the menu bars to read properly. Should I be putting anything in the target field? It gives me a choice of _blank; _self; _parent; _top. I did not put anything in these fields. Do I still have to move stuff over on the FTP manager? If so, what do I pull over?

Comment

Also, You mentined .php and .html. What is the difference? I put .html after each of my pages but I "saved them as" .bvp. Does this make a difference?

Also, when I hit on a blank part of a page, I get Properties and click on the Link and make those corrections. However, some of the pages have Page Properties instead and I cannot change the link on them. How do I fix this?

Comment

I read through all the video tutorials again. I think I am still lost on the FTP Manager. I can seem to grasp what this is or what it does.

According to the tutorials, I have done everything else correctly. So, I am guessing that I need to do something to my FTP Manager.

I guess I do not understand what it is I should be pulling over to the other side and what do I do after (besides disconnect).

Can someone explain FTP Management in terms I can understand? Or, tell me another solution to my problem. I am still not publishing corrections and additions.

My website is www.powerofpinkbcf.com

Thanks

Comment

You would only need to use the ftp manager to delete unwanted or badly named files, so forget that for now.

Concentrate how to PUBLISH a page correctly and then try to understand
                how to name and link one page to another.

I only mentioned PHP because some of your files have been published as .php
                and others (correctly) as .html extension.

Question:

Do you still have the .bvp files on your computer ?

If so, then I can delete the old ones for you and then you can change the links on your old ones and republish them.

Remember to name pages without the use of capital letters and without leaving spaces between words.
                Have fun
                Regards..... David

Comment

I already deleted all the old and bad stuff. I have corrected all the names of my pages correctly. They are still not publishing. I have all the .bvp files on my computer still.

Comment

When I verify links, it shows URL not found on the pages that are not published so far. Does this make a difference? I am trying everything. I have read all the tutorials again today - three times on the publishing part.

Comment

Hi, Ilene. Two things:

1. Your links look proper from what I see. So have you republished the various pages (by using the icon on the BV bar, not FTP Manager)?

2. Your photo gallery page DOES work fine, but the photo is HUGE. It takes a loooong time to download. How to fix that is your next step to learn. I bet David has a tutorial on that if you click the link on his post above.

Tom
                      CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                      CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                      CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Wow! I finally figured out how to change from .php to .html. My pages were published! Someone please look at them. www.powerofpinkbcf.com

They have weird stuff on them but at least I got the publishing part right FINALLY!!

I will check out the BV Bar and read the tutorial on that. Thanks to everyone!!!!

Comment

I am trying to read the Step-by-step tutorial that David has. It is hard to read since the print is small and blurry in the diagram. I think I understand steps 1-4. I understand 6. It is hard to tell what step 5 is. Can someone tell me step 5.

Also, has anyone had a chance to pull up www.powerofpinkbcf.com and look at it? Some of the pages has script written on the top half of page. Is there a tutorial on how to fix that?

Thanks

Comment

Which of David's tutorials are you reading?

Regarding the script, that's an html code which I'm totally not up on. I know people have asked about this before. You might try searching "html on page" or something like that. David or someone will be along to help sooner or later anyway. In the meantime, open one of the offending pages in BV and see if you can find an object that is out of place (part or all hidden by another object).
                            CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                            CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                            CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Step 1, hit the globe (file manager)
                              Step 2, right click
                              Step 3 hit properties
                              Step 4 add files
                              Step 5 ?
                              Step 6 Publish

The print is too small for me to see what Step 5 says.

Have you seen the writing on my website yet? Do not know what this is and I cannot find a tutorial yet to cover this.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X