sitemap?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sitemap?!

I have a few questions regarding the sitemap tool. I've researched as much as I can but i'm only getting more confused:

1. What is the site map exactly on BV? it is not a sitemap page usually found as a link at the bottom of the page with all the links on the site orginized with bullet points or whatever for individuals to look at if they prefer to jump straight to a link rather than click a few different pages to get to the spesific page they are looking for.

2. What does the site map on BV do for the website and can it only be created for the index page?!

3. What are the frequency and priority setting mean? How do I want to set them up? wouldn't I want everything to be the highest priority for the SE spiders and sent it as often as possible? what are the pros and cons for setting to the maximum?

4. once I publish than what happens if the next day I crawl it a new and publish it had I made or changed any links? How does it affect my ranking or SEO? And do I want to sitmap as often as possible?

5. Does it crawl drop down menus as well?

6. Lastly, should I create a page with all my links, call it "sitemap" and add it to the footer text menu I currently have?

My site is www.bigpawservices.com
    Mr. Big Paw
    Somewhere in the CO mountains
    Big Paw Services

Re: sitemap?!

Sitemaps

I'd also like to know about these items. Today's tasks include adding a sitemap to our new website.

Are there any good explanations / threads on this subject that a beginner can grasp without being a webmaster with 4 stars ?

Charley

www.derekeaglen.com

Comment

A site map is crucial for google to know what pages you have published and what you want indexed.

1. I am not sure where it is on bv, I can't seem to find anything that is why I am here as well. Site maps are for people viewing your site and to use for easy navigation.
      2. You should have one file .xml file that has your site map in it for the pages you want indexed. It will contain the links to all of your pages you want visible.
      3. Frequency is up to you and speed as well. You can adjust these in your google.com/webmasters. Some sites are so big that being crawled can slow them down, if you are not sure just leave it as it is. Once every 2 weeks-30 days is plenty, unless you have massive changes.
      4. Once you publish you site map this will give Google a map of your site. A link si a link is a link. Google wants to be able to reach each page from a link. Only update you site map if : You change a page, delete a page or change the ext of a page. adding and deleting links have nothing to do witha site map. Lets say you have 20 pages on your site and google has yoru site map updated. Then one day you delete a page for whatever reason. Google will still try and find that page until you "update" your site map telling the bot it is not longer there.

5. yes any link it will crawl. It does not like flash.
      6. You will need to call it google-sitemap.xml or jus sitemap.xml and you can make it an html if you like.

Hope that helps!
      Last edited by kortia; 02-06-2009, 05:29 AM. Reason: typos!
      www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

Originally posted by adir_sharon View Post
        I have a few questions regarding the sitemap tool. I've researched as much as I can but i'm only getting more confused:

1. What is the site map exactly on BV? it is not a sitemap page usually found as a link at the bottom of the page with all the links on the site orginized with bullet points or whatever for individuals to look at if they prefer to jump straight to a link rather than click a few different pages to get to the spesific page they are looking for.

2. What does the site map on BV do for the website and can it only be created for the index page?!

3. What are the frequency and priority setting mean? How do I want to set them up? wouldn't I want everything to be the highest priority for the SE spiders and sent it as often as possible? what are the pros and cons for setting to the maximum?

4. once I publish than what happens if the next day I crawl it a new and publish it had I made or changed any links? How does it affect my ranking or SEO? And do I want to sitmap as often as possible?

5. Does it crawl drop down menus as well?

6. Lastly, should I create a page with all my links, call it "sitemap" and add it to the footer text menu I currently have?

My site is www.bigpawservices.com

Here it is straight form the horses mouth.
        A sitemap provides information that helps Google more intelligently crawl your site. Discover how a sitemap works and determine if you need one.
        www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

Working...
        X