new version, getting an error message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new version, getting an error message

HI, I backed up my existing pages in a folder before downloading the new version. However, now when I go to make changes and save the pages, I get this message:
    "system cannot find file specified"

Help!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by VodaHost; 06-06-2005, 04:57 PM.

Can you more specific:
    Where did you backup your files?
    What files did you backup?
    When do you get this error message?

Thanks,
    Pablo
    Forum Moderator
    BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

more details on this problem..

well, I took my Voda web pages and put them in a folder, and saved it to my desktop, while I downloaded the new version. When I went to open the new version, my pages were nowhere to be found, so I just used my backup pages that were saved to the desktop. (I asked here at the forum what to do, and was told to use the backup pages...)

I am able to look at and make changes to the pages, but when I go to "save page" this message comes up:

"system cannot find file specified"

Thanks!!

Comment

Although it's a good idea to backup your files every once in a while, it isn't necessary when you re-install BlueVoda.
        Your original files are kept in your personal documents folder and even after re-installing BlueVoda they still should be there:
        Look for this folder:
        C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\BlueVoda
        this is where all your previous BlueVoda files should be.

If you get the error "system cannot find file specified" you probably moved your old files instead of backing them up or did you make them read only?
        Forum Moderator
        BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

same error message

Ahhh, there they are, where you said they'd be...but I'm still getting that same error message.

What to do?

Comment

more detail...

...in other words. it looks like all I did was Move the folder with my pages in it...I didn't back them up properly. I just moved it and then went and deleted the program.

So now I'm able to find the pages, and I'm able to edit them, but still when I go to save, it gives me that same message.

Comment

If you've moved your original files, you will have to move them back to the BlueVoda document folder:
              It also should have an images sub folder like this:
              C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\BlueVoda\Images. This is where all the images of your webpages were automatically copied to when you were working on your pages.

Do you also see the text 'Failed to copy file' in the error message?
              This indicates one of your images is missing. In this case you will have to check all the images to make sure none of them are moved or deleted.
              Forum Moderator
              BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

oh, no

yes, I am getting that mesage and

oh, shoot, the images folder is completely empty!! Now I'm worried..

Did I screw things up?? Do I have to find the images and put them back in the images folder?

Comment

This error message indeed indicates all your images a gone.
                  One thing that might work is this:
                  1. Launch BlueFTP (select Tools->FTP manager from the BlueVoda menu)
                  2. Login to your VodaHost account using Connect
                  3. On the Left pane you should see your local files
                  4. On the Right pane you should see your remote files
                  5. Now copy all the images from your remote folder back to your local folder:
                  C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\BlueVoda\Images
                  Using drag and drop would be the easiest way to do this.
                  Forum Moderator
                  BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

I give up!

this is what I want to do - I want everything deleted from my computer, download the newest version of BV, and build my website again.

When I went to transfer the files over in FTP, it locked up twice and I had to reboot...there were 1000 gif images this, all in a row:

bv01046.gif

all in numeric succession.

what does that mean??? That did not look right to me.
                    So now that I'm frustrated to no end, I'd rather play it safe and start all over. Just tell me how to remove all BV from my computer..even the back-up

Comment

my url is

paddlepony.net

Comment

Is it possible for you to zip your complete BlueVoda document folder including all images? And then put it on your website and tell me where to download it so I can fix it for you. Unfortunately I can't give you my email address, but when I have your files I will fix your site and send it back to you, so you can remove your current site and upload the fixed one.

To remove BlueVoda from your computer:
                        Uninstall BlueVoda.
                        Remove the BlueVoda document folder:

BTW: the bv010xx.gif files are automatically generated files used for navigation bars, shapes etc. But 1000 is really big number of files!
                        Forum Moderator
                        BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

here are the zips...

Okay Pablo, I made two zip files for you. One is called Blue Voda files, the other is Blue Voda Images
                          Both zip files are on my index page
                          paddlepony.net/index

I inserted them using the image function - wasn't really sure how else to insert them for you??

It looks as though things are all out of place so hopefully you can fix it for me! My pages are in the files zip and also again in the images zip..hmmmm.

I can't log into community forum any longer from my web site - that just happened tonight....perhaps because I was trying to move things around.
                          I get into the forum through your main web site.
                          Good luck...let me know if there is a better way to get the zips to you!!

Comment

Can you give me the EXACT location? I can't find the files on your website.

Thanks,
                            Pablo
                            Forum Moderator
                            BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

here is one:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Local%20Settings/Temp/htmltest/blue%20voda%20images.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X