Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please with configuring WebCalendar

I downloaded a webcalendar via Fantastico and received this message:

We only offer auto-installation and auto-configuration of WebCalendar but do not offer any kind of support.
    The full URL to this installation of WebCalendar: url

[url = new BV site I'm working on and would rather not be SEOed]

The support I need now is BV help I think. How do I bring the calendar up on the website? I'm sure it's something simple and hope someone can help.

I clicked on the support site given on Fantastico, below, and was redirected to k5n, which has demos and no help.
    WebCalendar is a PHP-based calendar application that can be configured as a single-user calendar, a multi-user calendar for groups of users, or as an event calendar viewable by visitors. MySQL/MariaDB, SQLite3, PostgreSQL, Oracle, DB2, Interbase, MS SQL Server, or ODBC is required.

http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php
    Sarah
    british-cemetery-elvas.org

Re: help please with configuring WebCalendar

Hi, I downloaded a webcalendar via Fantastico. When you say downloaded? do you mean installed via fantasico. As it will auto install from this area.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris,

Always pleased when you respond. Yes, I mean installed via Fantastico.

The installation seems to have worked because I got the message
      DO NOT REMOVE the file named fantastico_fileslist.txt from the installation directory. It is used for uninstalling this application.

Perhaps I just need to go to the installation directory if there is one. I see Install on the BlueFTP page but don't think that's it.

One thing that puzzled me was when I installed the webcalendar. I was told to enter the url but leave the second field open. Fantastico would fill that in. So the wc went to the root and not to to www...... . org/events

Now what?
      Sarah

Comment

Hi, you should get a link in your cpanel/fantasico to take you to your calendar page after instalation, & from the calendar you will be able to see an admin link for the calendar.
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I found Installation at the bottom of the Fantastico list and clicked on the link.

The home page of my site came up on my browser but I don't see the calendar on any of the pages.

I looked in the FTP yesterday and see all the pages. What's the next step?

Also, when I installed the webcalendar, Fantastico said I had to remove the favicon code from Start of Page on the HTML page to complete installation. Can I put that back when I finally get the calendar on the site?

Thanks for your help, Chris.
          Sarah

Comment

Hi, your 1st page on the calendar will be something like http://metestsite.co.uk/webcalendar/week.php The only thing is i don't know the name of the directory you have placed the calendar in. It will of asked you this when you set up the install with your pass words to the calendar. I said to call my directory webcalendar. When you 1st go to this page, it will quite likely ask you to loginas it is set as a private calendar by default. This can be easily changed via the admin area to make it public so all can see.
            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I tried www.myurl/webcalendar.org and .../calendar.org but got a 404 on both. Fantastico told me not to enter anything in the directory box; they would enter the appropriate term.

Maybe it would be simplest for me to uninstall and reinstall with webcalendar
              as the directory.

Can I imbed the calendar on the Events page?

It will be a public read-only calendar. Can I remove the words 'public access' when I get that far?

Any thoughts on whether I can reload the favicon code after the calendar is safely installed?
              Sarah

Comment

Reinstalled successfully!

Can it be embedded on a site page?
                Sarah

Comment

Hi, to embed on a web page you will have to pop the calendars url it in an iframe on the page.
                  Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks Chris for hanging in there until I get this right.

I'm almost there. I've been looking at what I think is the user's manual

but don't see how to change the text under Week 51 [public access on your metesite and my name on my site] to the name of the organisation.

How did you get current user to be Public Access?
                    I changed Private to Public Access and now get in the iFrame on my webpage Events
                    Current User: Sarah King (Logout)
                    Manage calendar of: Public Access

And lastly, how did you get rid of
                    | Admin | Unapproved Events | Another User's Calendar | Search | Import | Export | Add New Entry | Help
                    and just keep Search

I really appreciate your help!
                    Sarah

Comment

Hi, to change the head details from Public Access to something else, you need to login & go to user’s & you will see a tabbed box with Public Access written inside. Click on this text & it will open up so you can edit the user to a different name & will the show up differently at the head of the page.
                      (Must admit that you don’t realize that a lot of the text is actually links in this program).
                      With the public access, click on System Settings>then the public access tab & choose from the radio buttons. When you have selected a choice, it is worth login out to see the true screen that the public will see. Otherwise it may give a false impression.

I think its one of Vasili's site that is using this calendar with very nice looks, but cant remember which one.
                      Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Which version of WebCalendar do you use? Fantastico installs 1.0.5 but they're up to 1.2 now, which is quite different from 1.05 according to the forum.

Got the header changed. Flying blind on the footer. This is what I see below the calendar

Go to: My Calendar | Today | Admin | Unapproved Events | Another User's Calendar | Search | Import | Export | Add New Entry | Help

I want to keep just
                        Go to: My Calendar | Today | Search
                        Current User: Public Access (Login) s
                        like you have and get rid of Admin... Help

When I go to Admin + Systems Settings, I can click on Custom Trailer and get a blank box Edit Custom Trailer but I don't think that's where I edit that text. So where?

Vasili said in a thread about calendars that he preferred the Fantastico calendar to Google and Yahoo's.
                        Sarah

Comment

Chris, all those links are gone now.
                          Sarah

Comment

Ah! it might of been because you wasn't logged out.

Good luck.
                            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

True.

I've also learned that it's useful to check the 'public' view of one's site through another browser. I use FF and thought my login details were visible for all to see. Checked via IE and see they're not.

Just mentioning this because someone else asked about this on another thread - where I found Vasili's site you mentioned: http://www.herodsislandtours.com/island_calendar.html

An example is often the clearest explanation and I see on this site that Public Access under the title is a fixed feature.

http://www.k5n.us/wiki/ is a useful site for learning how to use webcalendar.

Thanks again for all your help, Chris.
                              Sarah

Comment

Working...
                              X