Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning on redirecting to Vodahost

A bit of light amusement.

I am currently designing a website for work - lets call it XYZ.com. Our email is in the format XYZ.ie (we're Irish but to prevent embarassment I am not saying who we are !!). I thought that it would be best to link the XYZ.ie webname to XYZ.com so that if someone enters XYZ.ie they would be redirected to XYZ.com.

So what I did is as folllows :

I contact the domain registry for Ireland, logged in and changed the DNS codes from what they were to the DNS codes for my Voda Host account. I then added the domain XYZ.ie as an addon domain and set up Vodahost to redirect people.

Feeling fairly proud of myself I went home knowing that when the website is published live in a few days that all would be in order.

I arrived into work the next day to hear "Our email isnt working".

Our IT support went look at the problem and I then got a call "Do you know anything about Vodahost etc etc ". Hmmm - time for hands up .

I had successfully killed the email for our entire organisation for everyone ! ( I must admit that had a certain advantage...)

Sheepishly I then went back to the Irish Domain regisry and reentered the old DNS codes (which thankfully I had on a printout).

Apparently it takes a few days for this to rectify itself and to propugate through the web which means that not all emails are back yet but hopefully will be over the next day or so.

So a gentle warning to all out there to be careful when changing settings for the email for an entire company as you may (like I did) screw it up with what you thought was a insignificant change on a setting.

No doubt this will give some of you a bit of light entertainment !

And no doubt someone will post what I should have done (and when I read it it will make so much sense that I will wonder why I hadnt thought of doing it that way the first time)

Thats the end of my humbling story ..

Luck of the Irish

Yes...DNS takes 24-48 hours to gloabally propogate.What you should of done
    is set up your VodaHost email accounts on the server and on your computers
    before you switched the name servers.

This way when the switch happens your good to go, with little or no down time.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Re: Warning on redirecting to Vodahost

Ah yes, it seems so simple now !

I will wait a while before I brave trying to do that.

Meanwhile email is gradually coming back to us but not everyone cane send us emails

Comment

Working...
      X