Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP help

Hello...
    I am constructing a page for a small group of users to access for communication and file sharing inside of a corporate group....

I need to place a secure link on the site to be able to quickly and easily utilize ftp for both upload and download on the site without to much fuss for the users..

A typical use would be to upload some jpg, pdf, and other files that all parties could easily access... by going to the webpage...

Is this possible and if it is, could someone please help me to step through the process in blue Voda?
    Thanks for your time..!!
    Bobby

Re: FTP help

You would need a script installed that would allow this as well as a database. If you want a SECURE link im assuming you just need to password protect a folder and allow the access to this folder, rather than encryption.. which would need dedicated ip and ssl.

There is no real step by step to give you this as it depends on the scripts you use to do this. Do a search for member logins on this forum or contact Navaldesign for a customized script

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks for the response Karen...
      Are you saying that I need a script to make this a high secured function? And if I was to mitigate some of my security it could be a bit simpler to accomplish or either way will need the script?... If I password protect entry to the site the FTP security (in my mind) could be considerably less...please can you comment on this?
      Thanks again
      Bobby

Comment

Are you wanting a secure page on your website to display FTP information so only a group can see it, and then connect with a FTP application to upload files? Or are you wanting to use the website to upload files?

Depending on which there are difference solutions. If you want to have users upload files using your website a script is needed. If they are using a ftp you can simple upload the files to the server that way and have them listed on the website in a directory using built in server functionality.

If a script is used to upload files through the website, the files can be secured by the script as well. If the files are uploaded using a FTP and only displayed on the website, you will need to use a password protected directory to prevent unauthorized uses from accessing certain files.

Depending on where the people who will be downloading the files are located there are different ways to authenticate who they are. If everyone is at the same location (all in the same office), you can have is so only certain IP addresses have access to a password protected directory. If people are no in the same office, or will be accessing from different locations, you can use the normal functionality provided by cpanel which would be a username/password.

No matter what solution you are going to use, if people are going to be downloading files from the website (ie. http://yoursite.com/files/secure_file.jpg) that contain sensitive information like credit cards, SS #'s, etc... you will need to get a dedicated IP and use SSL as Karen has mentioned in order to encrypt the information while it is transfering from the server to the user.

That is assume you are wanting to make it as secure as you can. Without encryption anyone with the right knowledge can pick up the data packets mid route and see what your are sending.

If you are using only FTP to upload and download the files, (meaning none of the files can be downloaded by going to http://yoursite.com/file.doc), then a password protected directory is not needed.

Also one final note... I don't know to what extent of security you are talking about, but keep in mind your using shared hosting...

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Thanks for the great reply....

Ok this is really what I need, I wish to have text links on a web page that is currently under construction in Blue Voda. The 1st is "upload" and the second is "download" connected to my FTP folder structure online.
          The ability to have visible folders to drag and drop the files to and from are most important. A password to access would be all I think is needed when the links are clicked...If one link to upload and download files is all that is needed then that would be fine. (Simplicity)

The content does not need to have any security, as it will only be jpg. and doc. type files ect, for a small group of folks to share from several countries around the world and has no real value to anyone but us.

As I am not so HTML or FTP savey... please if you have any idea's to help me put this together, it would be much appreciated, as I have found little in the tutorials to help me.

Please post here the best details you can including: If I need a script where to get it and how to impliment it, as well as if there are any tutorials that may help me !
          If all I need to do is create the folders on my ftp space, and then link to them to the page as indicated above, please tell me how as I have tried many different ways to do this without any success.

Again please shed a little further light on this for me as I am still stuck on exactly how to make this happen!

Thank-you so much for your time..!!!!
          Bobby

Comment

I'm not sure what script are available out there offhand, you may want to do a google search or a search on hotscripts.com.

Here's a link to some of the results from a search I did

Hot Scripts is the net's largest PHP, CGI, Perl, JavaScript and ASP script collection and resource web portal. We are an Internet directory that compiles and distributes Web programming-related resources, geared toward webmasters, developers and programmers looking for enhancing their Web sites and intranets with dynamic development tools.

There may or may not be something that will suite your needs.

I can tell you that making something with drag and drop to upload files to the websites is going to be much more involved then teaching everyone who will be using the system to use a FTP program to upload/download directly to the server.

If your going to use a script, your probably not going to be using a physical file structure, organization will be handled by the script. I can't really go into any details about a specific script as even if I knew whick would may end up using I would not have used it myself. One thing you can do is check into how much documentation a script has before you decide to use it. That may save you some headaches later on

Register/Login Script
            Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Hello again...
              Ok... I found what I believe to be a good script which should create an FTP *****t directly from a link on the site.

I did exactly what is said to do in the instructions, which are incredible simplistic. 1st uploading the FTP *****t files to a folder called /ftp*****t in the root directory /public_html...is done.

Now if you go to the link below you will see what I mean very easy stuff...just click on the link under installation.."deploying to a web server"

To do that please go to this link....
              JSCAPE is a leading provider of managed file transfer, secure FTP server, & AS2 server software for reliable data delivery. Let us simplify your file transfers!

The problem I am having is the last step of 4 steps to check the URL that the *****t should be created in, but I cannot find it...! I believe if you take a quick look at the above URL you most likely would be able to advise me
              on what I have missed or what I can do next...

Thanks so much for your time!!!
              Bobby

Comment

Don't know why this link above messed up when I posted the reply but here it is again....
                JSCAPE is a leading provider of managed file transfer, secure FTP server, & AS2 server software for reliable data delivery. Let us simplify your file transfers!

Comment

Lets try typing it out this time.. its /ftp*****t just incase...

Comment

Ok replace ****** with "*****t" will not show...this is strange..!!

Comment

Ok why does the word a p p l e t not show up?

Comment

Could someone please help me to understand how to implement the above script...
                        Sorry for the extra posts but the word a p p l e t was automatically being replaced with "*****t" please just read above and see if you can advise me on what could be the problem with this.... as you read just replace the *****t with a p p l e t......
                        Thanks

Comment

Hey, sorry I think I forgot to submit my reply to you yesterday.

The reason "a p p l e" is getting replaces is because its on a censored word list because of the forum spam.

What is your website address? I will see if I can find it on your site

Register/Login Script

Comment

The web address is www.getgreatbiz.com

Ok I just need clarity on if I did this script install correct, and what the url would be for the ftp aplt.Were you able to checkout the script install page with setup directions?

Please if you discover A URL for the script to manifest the app, can you just email that info to me at... bobby@getgreatbiz.com ?

Thanks so much...!!!!
                            BobbyZ

Comment

Working...
                            X