Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain name "Point" it versus "transfer" -Question

Hi
    I read that if I have my existing domain presently registered with another host, there is no need to transfer, just "point it" to VH as my new hosting company.

So my question is what is the difference and please answer in the context of the following? My existing host is closing down (you know who!), and will no longer exist from 28/2/09. So if the domain is simply "pointed", is it pointed from my old host or is it pointed from what I think we call the registrar (custodian of all domains)?

Re: Domain name "Point" it versus "transfer" -Question

My advice, given the closing down info, would be to transfer your domain to vodahost to avoid any bloodshed in the future...................
    this will then be situated/pointed at the VH servers.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Thanks for that, but you do say "situated/pointed at" as if the same thing. I thought transfer and pointed at were different actions.
      How shall I put this? As if transfer is picking it up and physically moving it whereas pointing at is a dogleg. ie. it is still with them but any contact is re-routed to VH.
      Am I barking up the wrong tree? (seeing as I called it a dogleg!)
      Tony

Comment

TRANSFER AND POINTED ARE DIFFERENT ... YES you are right ..

Hi .. transferring your domain from your existing domain registrar to voda host means that you will pay voda host and receive your registration details and renewals from voda host as opposed to your current domain registrar.

You do need to request a domain transfer, (free or a small fee) from Voda Host and you will receive an email asking if you requested this transfer. You will need to respond to this email before a transfer is granted .. this is a process you can find at the above link.

Pointing your domain to voda host servers can be done. This means that your domain stays at your current registar, you pay them for the domain yearly and you renew and receive email for renewals from this registrar.

In my opinion, unless you want alot of paperwork from various other domain registars, etc., I would put your domains in the control of voda host, along with your hosting, then everything is one nice neat parcel ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Tony,

Since you said that your other host is closing down, you do not have any other option but to move to another Host.

Submit a support ticket to VodaSupport and request that they undertake the transfer of your domain to VodaHost.

VH will extend your Domain registration by another year. That is the only charge you will incure.
          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

It will depend.

Most hosting companies are not accredited domain registrars, meaning they go through a third party to register your domain name for you. (they just play middle man).

Now I haven't a clue what happens if the company your registered your domain name from goes out of business. The problem will come in with getting control of the domain since you most likely will no longer be able to contact anyone at the company you registered it at.

It would be a good idea to transfer the domain name because the company is going out of business. If they are not accredited you may want to check before hand and see if there is some way for your to manage you domain name with the company they registered it at. You then would have to get the billing switched from your current registrar to you so you can renew it later on.

The easier thing to do would be to have it transferred to another registrar. If you only point the domain and then don't do anything else chances are you probably won't be able to renew it later on.

Register/Login Script
            Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Thank you to all for your rapid and constructive advice.
              I have now spoken to my host company, completed their website form as instructed and emailed them my authorisation request.
              I appreciate I cannot put in my transfer request to you until this key is available.
              NB. I actually have two domains to transfer. One for my business for which I look forward to building a site and one simply a surname purchase (A vanity buy!), that I haven't a clue what I shall do with - one day. Ideas on a postcard please!
              Therefore I assume I process these as two separate transfer requests.
              I will be glad when this stuff is sorted, so that I can get on with the website.
              Thanks again.
              Tony

Comment

Working...
              X