PDA

View Full Version : How to Create a Password Protected Page

qps1111
01-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello,

I new to the BV community and website design overall....and I love BV so far. It really simplifies the process to the point that a complete novice can build a pretty cool site. I'm in the process of building my first but I've hit a roadblock. I would like to have a private page that requires a login name and password. On this page I would like to include some links where trial versions of our software can be downloaded as well as help documents for customers. I have watched all the help videos I could find and I have done my very best to search the forums to find help but I have not come accross the right information. I've found some threads that discuss private directories but I have not found anything that goes into detail on the steps to take from beginning to end in that regard. Can anyone help me with these 2 tasks?

1. How to create a private page that requires username and password?

2. How to upload a file that can be downloaded by clicking a link on this private page.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

dougnez
01-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi gps1111
You create the password through the C-Panel.. Take a look at this C-Panel Tutorial http://www.vodahost.com/demowolf/x3/cpanel-x3-protect.html
It's really pretty simple... Once your visitor enters the password... they will go to the page... where you place your link for downloading whatever.. You can upload whatever you wish to have your visitor download using the FTP http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/bluevoda-tips-tricks-shortcuts/18851-how-create-download.html
Have Fun... Doug

davidundalicia
01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Have a look at the Cpanel videos.....(video links at top of this page)

Then create a new folder and password protect it.
Create at least one user for this password protected page.

create an index page with the link to your download file.

Publish your index page to your protected directory.

Upload the file to the same area.

qps1111
01-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I followed your instructions, watched the tutorial again and read the link you provided on adding downloads and it's working great! Thank you so much for your lightning fast response.

I don't want to push the envelope for someone new and inexperienced but are there any resources you can point me to that could explain how to capture and retain customer info before I provide them with a username and password for my private pages? I know my package comes with SQL but I don't know how to go from front-end form entry to back-end retention in the database. This may be to advanced for a new guy but I thought I'd ask. Thanks again.

davidundalicia
01-29-2009, 07:39 PM
It sounds as if you need some kind of Membership program/scripts
where you verify/screen any potential member beforehand.

If you are OK with scripts, try my free one below my siggy.

zuriatman
01-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi,

Quote" are there any resources you can point me to that could explain how to capture and retain customer info before I provide them with a username and password for my private pages"

Follow this link.......... (http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/forms/45023-advanced-bluevoda-form-processor-2-a.html)

qps1111
01-29-2009, 10:45 PM
It sounds as if you need some kind of Membership program/scripts
where you verify/screen any potential member beforehand.

If you are OK with scripts, try my free one below my siggy.

Thanks davidundalicia. I followed your link and registered at your site but I don't see what I'm suppose to do next. I see the message about a free page with a membership script if you register but it's not clear where to go from there. What am I missing?

Thanks again!

davidundalicia
01-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Sorry, things change in time and the script can be downloaded from here (http://mybluevodaspace.com/forums/index.php/board,39.0.html)
( I will update the old links in the morning.)

dougnez
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks David... For the scripts... Doug

davidundalicia
01-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Your welcome...........enjoy.