Forward email to server ip??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forward email to server ip??

I helped a friend create a website on voda for his business. He has a network with his own server and ip address. How can I forward his email from his voda website to his server ip ?

Re: Forward email to server ip??

i think you can do it in control panel => mail forwarder
    Nyoman

Comment

His network person gave me his IP Address and said to forward it to his server? Do I just enter his IP Address (MX = 69.5.***.***) as the forward it to?

Comment

i am not sure about that, i thought you were talking about forwarding email from vodahost to the email in other server.
        just try it, if not working means have to find another way
        Nyoman

Comment

Yes you can, but the trade off is that the "send mail "program on the server no longer handles form mails for the domain in question unless, configured to use remote smtp server
          To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research!

Comment

What exactly do I type in as the forward to: ??
            Can you explain a little more what you mean by "program on the server no longer handles form mails for the domain in question unless, configured to use remote smtp server?

Comment

When you change the MX record for a domain it returns a pointer for smtp communications. A Mx record can be a FQDN (fully qualified domain name) that is a domain name which is registered with a DNS server which propogates it's records to root name servers. Instead of a FQDN a pointer can be represented as an IP address which in effects removes the need for domain resolution. The send mail program on the Vodahost servers no longer handles mail requests due to spamming issues. The mail sent is no longer associated with the localhost machine as the MX records points to another host. The php send mail examples shown throughout the forums will no longer work as the mail must be authenticated as originating from a localhost mail account, after changng the MX record this is no longer true for the above. For mail functions in php to succeed you must adopt a script which allows smtp server configuration i.e. phpmailer class. The smtp server handling the script requests must be configured to handle mail relay ( no a healthy thing to do ) . Check mail server settings and put into place the approriate security settings so as not to open up your mail server as an "open relay" (all spammers luv this ).

Comment

Wow, over my head! Ok back to my original question, can I forward email from the site to a server using the forwarder in cpanel by entering the IP address? If so do I enter just the IP ( 64.45.3.123) or do I have to us the MX= (MX=64.44.12.100) Only need to know if it works from Cpanel, as far as the server end, thats not my problem.

Comment

just the IP address i.e xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                  It works as I handle one of my Domains like this!

Comment

Thanks Christobal for all the info and help, I'll let you you know in a few days if it works! THANKS Again

Comment

Working...
                    X